StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 17 May 17, 17:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
The movies you list are all B rate, but you hit spot on with the lost hope. I was just reading a piece how the heroes in literary have become more and more flawed. Same applies to tv and movies. Instead of the perfect Superman who always does the correct moral judgement(well, not in the latest comics and movies) we have deeply flawed heroes, whom if they do good do it for selfish reasons.

But then again, perhaps that is a more accurate portrayal of the world.

Also, I think I've already watched everything sci-fi related from Netflix and the net. Would love any suggestions.
So would I. Instead, we are face with yet another version of Alien coming up.
Old 18 May 17, 13:53
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
There's some good anime stuff, often quite philosophical...but then again, it is also anime. Surprise, surprise, Ghost in the shell is yet another Hollywood remake. Can't be bothered to watch the new blade runner either.

Found 3% in Netflix, Brasilian dystopian sci-fi. Is ok but nothing extraordinary.
Old 19 May 17, 08:38
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Claude van Damme films.

Steven Seagal films.
I wanted to walk out on Blood Sport....o, him just talking will put you to sleep

Seagal films not good either--but his talking is not as boring as Damme's
he's got a little more ''something''
Old 20 May 17, 04:53
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulin View Post
I wanted to walk out on Blood Sport....o, him just talking will put you to sleep

Seagal films not good either--but his talking is not as boring as Damme's
he's got a little more ''something''
Van Damme can take the mickey out of himself.

Old 20 May 17, 10:07
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
Van Damme can take the mickey out of himself.

horrible..both him and the commericals
kind of like Arnold S
Sponsored Links

Old 20 May 17, 15:38
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Van Damme himself has aged poorly - and he needs to get the massive lump on his forhead looked at - let alone his films.

Like Norris and Seagal, he was locked into a single, unchanging genre.

Another class of films that will not age well is the class based on video games, and the class based on comic book characters. Time alone will relegate these to the waste heap of distant memory.
Old 20 May 17, 19:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Van Damme himself has aged poorly - and he needs to get the massive lump on his forhead looked at - let alone his films.

Another class of films that will not age well is the class based on video games, and the class based on comic book characters. Time alone will relegate these to the waste heap of distant memory.
Agree on video game movies but must disagree on comic book characters movies. Some of the X-Men and Avengers characters' movies are extremely well done. The 1st Avengers is a first class piece of movie making as was Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And X-Men: Days Of Future Past is also very well done. And I won't even mention Deadpool.

Bad language:

"Yeah, Bactine'll do it."
Old 20 May 17, 19:55
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
horrible..both him and the commericals
kind of like Arnold S
He has not aged well, but I suspect his personality has. I like the nipples comment, as did my wife.

Now an edited post.

Quote:

That's what made them money. Their films are familiar. If they get one right, the rest will probably get watched.

With Van Damme, it was probably Time Cop. With Seagul 'Out For Justice'. With Norris 'Good Guys wear Black'. They made millions making movies the audience wanted to see.

The clever actors get a series where they get a million per show plus, and the shows run for several seasons.
Old 21 May 17, 11:31
Brigadier General
United_States

..I just finished watching Earthquake again, last night ..I saw it at the library--so I grabbed it
It doesn't age as well as I thought
..I grew up watching Heston movies and have watched many in the last few years
Earthquake is very slow moving, even some scenes after the quake starts
..best fake scene is the lady with glass in her face--she intentionally turns toward the camera so everyone can see
Old 21 May 17, 15:35
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
..I just finished watching Earthquake again, last night ..I saw it at the library--so I grabbed it
It doesn't age as well as I thought
..I grew up watching Heston movies and have watched many in the last few years
Earthquake is very slow moving, even some scenes after the quake starts
..best fake scene is the lady with glass in her face--she intentionally turns toward the camera so everyone can see

Yeah...that's one of the disaster genre, or the apocalyptic genre if one prefers. Very few of them, if any, will survive since they are all about special effects and nothing else.

Morning After
Day After Tomorrow
San Andreas
Armaggedon
and the B-grade spinoffs - Ice Henge, Sharknado and all of it's sequels, Core, etc.

The many sequels to Jaws will go unremembered, too. The first one was a masterpiece, and the rest were follow-up schlock.

Then there are all of the Grand Theft Auto-inspired films, none of which have any solid legs to stand on, particularly the Fast and Furious franchise. Pure crap for the Nascar/tenny bopper driver crowd, without a single shred of reality.
Old 22 May 17, 13:34
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Outside, a woman is hit by shattered windows, she turns to face the camera and has shards of glass poking out of her face. It's like a cheesy horror movie, so fake, it passed the censors. Even at the age of 15, I knew that it was tasteless, but was fascinated nevertheless.
https://www.google.com/search?q=eart...C2PzT5pGaDxKM:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gl.jpg (42.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 22 May 17, 23:39
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Day After Tomorrow

Talk about science fiction! More like science farce!
Old 23 May 17, 08:16
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
The Day After Tomorrow

Talk about science fiction! More like science farce!
I just read the plot--ice age-making storms?
sounds really bad...hopefully I can watch it this weekend
says it did well --6th highest of 2004 ?

Last edited by Moulin; 23 May 17 at 08:58..
Old 29 May 17, 02:10
Banned
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200]
South Park Movie.
It's really not the same as watching it when it came out.
Old 30 May 17, 13:16
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I just read the plot--ice age-making storms?
sounds really bad...hopefully I can watch it this weekend
says it did well --6th highest of 2004 ?
Just the physics involved in it are insane...

The temperature drops by like 100 C in a matter of minutes freezing everything in sight, yet a blazing hot fire of old library books saves the cast from the same fate... Think about the sheer amount of energy required to be pulled out of the atmosphere to make that happen. The heat from that fire would have been sucked out of it in an instant like a bucket of ice water tossed on it.

Or, storm surges from the ocean that are hundreds of feet high. To get these you need massive rises in air pressure at the epicenter of the storm. That requires winds like Jupiter has that are supersonic...

The whole move is crap science. It's like watching Sharknado without the sharks...
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!