StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 19 Apr 17, 20:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Talking Movies that aged poorly: Iron Eagle

I nominate Iron Eagle! 30 years later this is unbearable to watch.

What do you nominate?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Apr 17, 21:26
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
I like watching it because it is so stupid....
off the top of my head, I would say Battle of the Bulge-
..really hard to watch--even to see the idiotic moments
..beginning with the Germans--just plain silly--etc
..dialogue is horrible
..the final tank battle abhorring
Old 19 Apr 17, 22:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulin View Post
I like watching it because it is so stupid....
off the top of my head, I would say Battle of the Bulge-
..really hard to watch--even to see the idiotic moments
..beginning with the Germans--just plain silly--etc
..dialogue is horrible
..the final tank battle abhorring
Yep, death by rolling barrels is horrible, especially when you are inside a Tiger watching those barrels getting closer and closer with terrible inevitability!

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Old 20 Apr 17, 08:08
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
I watched Iron Eagle the other day
totally fake , but it's a fiction movie
where as BOB is supposed to be a true story
I watched BOB, and it's just so slow, slow dialogue, slow ''scenes''
as someone else said on ACG, hard to make the ''whole'' picture/battle movie correct, compared to the small unit movie
Old 20 Apr 17, 13:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Iron Eagle is beyond fake - it totally defies common sense, regulations and pretty much the way the entire world works in real life.

It has the maximum BS rating possible.

Battle of Bulge...marginally better...maybe.
Old 20 Apr 17, 13:12
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Iron Eagle is beyond fake - it totally defies common sense, regulations and pretty much the way the entire world works in real life.

It has the maximum BS rating possible.

Battle of Bulge...marginally better...maybe.
...beyond fake--I like it...good call
...I ''enjoy'' watching movies like that
yes, I remember a lot of ''teen'' movies I thought were cool, when I was a teen..
...I did see Uncommon Valor, and it was an ''in-between'' movie for me--but still, the dialogue was horrible...I think Patrick Swayze was not good at all--in any movie { RIP }
....I never saw IE 2--I take it it was just as bad?
..the '' emotional music'' scenes, like in IE, are very 'cliche'
Old 20 Apr 17, 16:51
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulin View Post
...beyond fake--I like it...good call
...I ''enjoy'' watching movies like that
yes, I remember a lot of ''teen'' movies I thought were cool, when I was a teen..
...I did see Uncommon Valor, and it was an ''in-between'' movie for me--but still, the dialogue was horrible...I think Patrick Swayze was not good at all--in any movie { RIP }
....I never saw IE 2--I take it it was just as bad?
..the '' emotional music'' scenes, like in IE, are very 'cliche'
Never saw Swayze in Ghost? Good film, and he was excellent in Dirty Dancing, as well. Also Red Dawn wasn't too shabby.
Old 20 Apr 17, 17:48
Brigadier General
Canada

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Some of the ...

... worst movies by way of ageing, are the 70's era disaster films; the Airport series, Towering Inferno, Earthquake etc. Most featured large cast 2nd tier acting, were contemporary for the 70's with effects that can be hard to watch today; they're just awful. That said, some movies of the era like The Sting, MASH, and American Graffiti aged well; then again, Period Dramas, short on special effects, always seem to age well.
Old 20 Apr 17, 20:08
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
... worst movies by way of ageing, are the 70's era disaster films; the Airport series, Towering Inferno, Earthquake etc. Most featured large cast 2nd tier acting, were contemporary for the 70's with effects that can be hard to watch today; they're just awful. That said, some movies of the era like The Sting, MASH, and American Graffiti aged well; then again, Period Dramas, short on special effects, always seem to age well.
the first Airport great--still is ..number 4 horrible--really comedic
the large casts of Inferno and Quake did muck them up --but I think they are fun to watch--
Old 20 Apr 17, 20:12
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Never saw Swayze in Ghost? Good film, and he was excellent in Dirty Dancing, as well. Also Red Dawn wasn't too shabby.
I did not see much of Ghost
but he seems so one dimensional/goofy acting...Roadhouse was almost a comedy--like I said above, made for teens..also Red Dawn
his sad/mad/furious scenes overdone--Uncommon Valor comes to mind for that
..Robert Duvall is more of a kind of overall--3 dimensional actor
..Greg Peck also--they don't over do it
thanks all replies
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Apr 17, 18:08
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
The war movie that has most surprised me as far as it being much less than I had remembered it from young adulthood is "The Big Red One". I now find most of the vignettes to be trite. Especially the birth in the tank.
Old 21 Apr 17, 18:16
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Never seen Iron Eagle. If its at the same level as Top Gun I don't want to.
Old 21 Apr 17, 19:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
If you can believe it, it's worse than Top Gun. As bad as Top Gun was. And the makers of Iron Eagle committed further sins by making Iron Eagle 2, Iron Eagle 3 and Iron Eagle On The Attack. Sadly Lou Gossett, Jr. was in all four.

Last edited by R. Evans; 21 Apr 17 at 19:21..
Old 21 Apr 17, 19:54
ACG Forums - Field Marshall
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
If you can believe it, it's worse than Top Gun. As bad as Top Gun was. And the makers of Iron Eagle committed further sins by making Iron Eagle 2, Iron Eagle 3 and Iron Eagle On The Attack. Sadly Lou Gossett, Jr. was in all four.
Don't listen to him, Nick! As great as Top Gun was, Iron Eagle was probably the greatest movie ever made, quickly followed by the other three Iron Eagle movies. Lou Gossett Jr turned in stunning performances in each of those movies that was only topped by his role as an alien giving birth while marooned on some inhabitable planet.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg
Old 21 Apr 17, 20:03
Brigadier General
Canada

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Yeah, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinator View Post
Don't listen to him, Nick! As great as Top Gun was, Iron Eagle was probably the greatest movie ever made, quickly followed by the other three Iron Eagle movies. Lou Gossett Jr turned in stunning performances in each of those movies that was only topped by his role as an alien giving birth while marooned on some inhabitable planet.
... Lou was a babe in Enemy Mine, gets cards on Mother's Day!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!