Stratagy games question
I posted this same question in 2010. Got some ideas, but was never able to completely scratch the itch. So here it is again. Any ideas welcome:
I played Avalon hill games when I was growing up, and loved them. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I have been unable to find any new PC games that really fills that old desire. Closest I have found was an old AH game that I no longer have where the usa protected Iran from Iraq in the 80's or so. (that one politically out of date!) I also liked panzer general I a lot, but not pg2, but I've played that to death. I have the newer Panzer corps, and it's "ok".
I would very much appreciate some advice looking for a game. This is what I want:
1) turn based strategic game. my all time favorites are AH Russian Campaign and 3rd Reich, and panzer general I.
2) I don't want something uber complicated or uber long. I don't want to control every convoy down to the last sailor with a pistol, if you know what I mean. 3rd Reich and Russian campaign are about as big and technical as I want.
3) I would very much like to have online p vs p capability.
4) I want a game with acceptable AI, because I'm usually playing alone.
5) Some games I have tried, but not really perfect:
strategic command (battlefront) this game uses squares (just doesn't make sense to me) also has a lot of things that I don't like such as research etc. being too random. (note the new one with hexes is still just "ok."
Gary Grigsby game, forget the name, it was too big. I remember one (may not have been Gary) that was all about supply I tried a couple years ago. I spent all my time buying trucks.
Axis and Allies. too simple.
uncommon valor: too big.
So if you guys have any advice, I would sure like to try some demos!