StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 22 Apr 17, 17:02
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
1st Platoon will grab all the Soviet SMG's they can find. Von Pruitt could use a Flare Gun and a couple of Rifle grenade Launchers for his Platoon. I am assuming we have at least one MP 38 in each Section (Squad). Can we keep any Light Machine Guns we find?

The Platoon will continue to advance, but with two Squads providing cover fire while one Squad moves forward. Do we have Egg Shaped Grenades or Potato Mashers?

von Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 22 Apr 17, 17:36
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Currently you have 2 MP38 per squad, and one potato masher per soldier.

You personally would have a flare gun, and should feel free to loot any Soviet positions you take for trophies and similar.
Old 23 Apr 17, 04:47
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
arms race

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
Alright, now that we've seen some of the shortcomings of Regenbogen's TO&E, this will be a running tally of 'wish list' items.
Nice idea, but I feel we're entering into an arms race as I experienced in similar games I ran as GM
With our improved capacities, the GM needs to improve the capacity of our opponents as well in order to keep the future scenarios challenging for the players.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 23 Apr 17, 05:30
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
Nice idea, but I feel we're entering into an arms race as I experienced in similar games I ran as GM
With our improved capacities, the GM needs to improve the capacity of our opponents as well in order to keep the future scenarios challenging for the players.
This is true - at least I'll generally be aiming to balance capabilities and strengths to keep things challenging.

At least one of the formations you're facing in Episode 1 wasn't there until the addition of Platoon 4.

Still, if you want to keep upgrading and improving as the situation and favour currency allow, why not?
Old 23 Apr 17, 20:42
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
I'm not trying for an "arms race." I just know that normally the HQ troops, vehicle drivers, and gun crews would have at a minimum a rifle each. Gun crews normally have a machinegun assigned for self-defense, or at least a couple per battery in the case of 3.7 cm guns. That's neither here nor there.
But, not having enough rifles for self-defense is a big problem.
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Apr 17, 21:43
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
I'm not trying for an "arms race." I just know that normally the HQ troops, vehicle drivers, and gun crews would have at a minimum a rifle each. Gun crews normally have a machinegun assigned for self-defense, or at least a couple per battery in the case of 3.7 cm guns. That's neither here nor there.
But, not having enough rifles for self-defense is a big problem.
True, we must be part of those "later wave" Divisions.

Shortages of just about everything can be expected in this war, and it will only get worse. But having one 50mm and one 37mm AT gun?
That is getting pretty micro with the whole mixed bag thing.

Maybe this thrown-together group is the Rogue's Gallery or dare I say, the Suicide Squad of the 41st?
That would actually be kinda cool.
Maybe our next phase will be in the post-Barbarossa era, when we will look back fondly on the days when we had something approaching a full TO&E.

My only gripe is that I was trying to do Recon without a radio. That is something that never even entered my mind.
Maybe I am just a spoiled American.
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
Blaming the Las Vegas massacre on gun owners is like blaming 9-11 on frequent fliers.
Old 23 Apr 17, 23:20
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm playing this the way I'd play the miniatures game I developed Panzerkriegsakademie (PKA). If you read and understood those rules this scenario was made for that game.

Some guidelines:

1. Never rush yourself.
2. When you don't know for sure where the enemy is, find out before committing to the action.
3. One good leader in the right place makes up for a lot of aw $h!+s.

I also immediately figured out that the troops at my disposal needed to be reorganized into a combat unit versus an administrative unit. That meant forming them into squads. The vehicles were worth sacrificing if I could save the situation. So, in PKA terms I formed the 16 or so men I had at my disposal into three squads of 2 "stands" (2 or 3 figures) each and appointed a squad leader. That gave me an iffy but workable platoon.
The two gun crews worked together to get the 5cm in action, then the 3.7cm crew with a squad helping prolonged their gun into position.
The mortar section was left under my direct command and I put it in general support of the squads.
I made sure every gun and section had clear orders as to what their immediate mission was.
Then, I made damn sure they all started digging in. Even if we move, while we're not, we're entrenching. That means if the worst happens you are facing dug in troops who know what to shoot at. That's a huge advantage. I really wouldn't want to be the Russians trying to take an entrenched positon that's ready for them.

My big concern is that with our guys all over the place my guys would open up on our own people. That's why I reinforced a shoot only if you're sure order.

The radio takes too long to get messages through compared to on the spot leadership. That's why I was running from unit to unit telling them what to do.

Now, if it were me...

I'd have used one squad in full to fix the enemy with covering fire. The other two squads would have taken turns moving to take the enemy with the platoon leader moving with the attacking unit and the platoon sergeant directing cover fire, leapfrog style. Screw the smoke. It rarely works and gives your intentions away.
MG 34's spraying your position keep heads down and return fire ineffective. Get close and use grenades and a final rush of the enemy position.
If they're not good troops they'll break and run or surrender.

The tanks with a platoon of infantry supporting would make mincemeat of the Russians. The Russians open up, I fire some tracers and such into their position to mark it and the Pz II use their 20mm and machineguns to pulverize the position while the infantry moves up to take it.

The motorcycles? Move forward to a covered position and have a squad dismount to cover another moving to the next objective. Use flares and the radio (if you have one) to mark enemy positions and report them. Engage defensively and fall back on the covering squad instead of rushing the position.

When the enemy is engaged with our infantry, the motorcycles should move to a new position where they can open fire from surprise. That will cause a major morale problem for the Russians who are now facing fire from an unexpected direction. That might be sufficient to cause the unit to panic and run. It will cause the unit's fire to slacken as they are now forced to do something about the new fire.

I've been contemplating using the HQ section to take the pit now that there's obviously serious damage there. Two of my "squads" go forward in rushes covered by the mortar and 5cm with me pushing them. I'm more likely to wait a little bit though to make sure the Russians are in a panic so I can rout them thoroughly. Maybe the tanks can help there...

My concern with doing that is "What else is there I don't know about in terms of enemy forces?" I don't want to send two ad hoc squads forward into obvious danger without knowing my chances of success are good. So, I'll wait to see how 2nd platoon does on the hill and how the tanks do. Then I'll follow that up with my guys.

If we fail, I'm holding a solid defensive position that the survivors can fall back on, and we can stand our ground.

I wish I had Feldwebel Porsche and his heavy machineguns to help... (That's from PKA games a friend and I have played. Porsche is a legend, as his two HMG teams always seem to end up just in the right spot to cripple the enemy completely...)

Oh, I do PKA in 1/35th scale and have about two small battalions of Germans and a Russian tank brigade. My friend that does this with me has the US including an infantry company, armored infantry company, tank battalion, etc. Yes, we're insane... I have photos to prove we do this too!
Old 24 Apr 17, 05:35
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
We're still working out the kinks in our setup, undoubtedly. And I don't have any overt intentions of throwing platoons away.

I will say that Ertl's initiative probably saved us from a pretty nasty assault on a hill crawling with Russians. HQ, 1st and 3rd all get to operate relatively clear of interference from the hill and the fork because of 4th (and now 2nd).

I'm hoping that we can hurry up and cause the Russian assault to crack, and then drive them off in a rout. We don't have to destroy them utterly, but the more they flee in terror rather than withdraw, the less we have to worry about fighting them in the future.

My thought process for now is to get what's left of 4th reconstituted (hence giving them a break to reorganize) as a pursuit force.....for that time where the Russians are on the run in the open and can be pushed. 3rd is support only right now but could switch to pursuit possibly. 2nd, well if it can see off the attack it'll move to secure the fork as well. 1st.....one mission only....take and secure that bridge. All other operations are secondary to taking the bridge intact.....that's needed for the regiment to bring the heavy equipment across.

TAG.....one thing we have to keep in mind at the KG level is that we're burning through ammo like we have it for a division. Now at the moment getting to the objective (or in 2nds case holding the objective and breaking the enemy) is more important. But as soon as that is accomplished, we need to organize a full redistribution of what ammo we have at KG level, ammo that can be pulled from other things (possibly pulling a belt from each Panzer to go to the squad MGs......or sending HQ troops to see if they can get the ammo out of the disabled Panzer), and captured weapons/ammo for redistribution (the Mosins not so much, but any Soviet SMGs should be distributed temporarily to the line platoons....in the end I'd like to put them at the KG HQ level and that should fix our issue of clerks and truck drivers being insufficiently armed to protect themselves while not creating much of a logistical issue for us (they use 7.62x25....but if they aren't fired then they aren't burning up limited ammo).

Over all of the things that I might burn 'favor' (and by I, I mean KG CO....I could always die this episode) on, my first priority is to improve our ammo stocks.....running out of ammo is not an option for a unit at the tip of the spear, it's something that the CO must prepare for. After that we'll work on force multipliers and other things.

Last edited by TacCovert4; 24 Apr 17 at 05:49..
Old 24 Apr 17, 22:36
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
With the arrival of the two Panzers, von Pruitt gets his second and third Squad up and moving. "I want that Bridge" he calls. First Squad lays down some fire as the other two Squads start moving forward.

Pruitt

Old 25 Apr 17, 04:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt: Before you give that order in the main thread (this is the yap thread)....consider that 2 of your squads are either suppressed or pinned down. You're caught in the crossfire between the wheelhouse and the trench. I'm working on pulling your bacon out, but at the moment you need to fix the problem to your rear before you keep charging ahead.
Old 25 Apr 17, 18:02
France

I have a problem to my rear? The trench and wheelhouse are not in front of me? I can wait for the two Panzers to eliminate the Trench problem, but we need to get out of this killing zone sooner or later.

Pruitt

Old 25 Apr 17, 18:10
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
I have a problem to my rear? The trench and wheelhouse are not in front of me? I can wait for the two Panzers to eliminate the Trench problem, but we need to get out of this killing zone sooner or later.

Pruitt
1st Platoon has moved up the river bank past the wheelhouse and the pit for the most part. You have 1 Mg34 suppressing the south windows of the building and two focused on the west windows. In the last update 3 squad was suppressing the northern windows of the wheelhouse and 2 squad was attempting to provide covering fire against the trench - but was suppressed in turn by mortar fire from the fire pit to your south and heavy machine gun fire from the east (which narrowly missed your character).

1st Squad remains pinned, exchanging fire with the enemy in the trench approx 100m north.
Old 25 Apr 17, 18:21
General of the Forums
United_States

I tell the remaining HQ troops and the two gun crews to get the guns back on their tractors and load up all the gear on the trucks. "Get ready to move forward!"

I then turn back to tracking the progress of the ad hoc squad with the mortar team moving forward.

I also inform the Haumptmann there's no way to move the HQ to the hilltop. The neither the kettenkrad or trucks can manage to tow the guns up there.
Old 25 Apr 17, 21:45
France

Just for clarification, where is that wheel house and the trench at on the map?

Pruitt

Old 25 Apr 17, 23:24
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The wheelhouse is the structure S of the bridge on the east bank of the river. It has a brown circle immediately to its right denoting a firing pit.

The trench is the brown line immediately south east of the bridge facing west.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!