StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 27 Mar 17, 20:07
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
What author or book most represents your nation?

What book or author is most emblematic of your nation?

I'm most familiar with U.S. and English literature.

For England, the choice is easy, William Shakespeare. I know he was a play wright. But in his era of low literacy a play would get much more widespread viewing than any book. If Shakespeare were alive in a latter era he would have been a novelist or perhaps a historian. For his time it made sense to be a playwright. England has an incredible literary tradition. Shakespeare towers over them.

For the U.S. there are many great authors. Ernest Hemingway was a great author with many great works. When I close my eyes and imagine an idealized American author it would have to be Hemingway. As much for his image as the swaggering, boozing, womanizing man of adventure as his literary output.

Greece, Homer's the Iliad and Odyssey. Some may call them two books, but they are commonly read as one book.

Spain Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

For Russia it would be Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace.

France Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. This is the one work that I've listed that I've not read. At over 1,800 pages it is some what of an imposing read. I have seen the play and the 1998 film staring Liam Neeson and the 2012 version staring Hugh Jackman. I Prefer the 1998 movie. But the 2012 version has a few great songs. I've been driving my wife nuts singing this one.

Germany All Quite on the Western Front, by Eric Marie Remarque. All Quite on the Western Front is perhaps the greatest war novel of all time. And at the same time the greatest anti-war novel.

Canada, Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever, Mine Struggle.

I've covered only eight countries and parts of two continents.

Put your 2 cents in.

Last edited by 17thfabn; 28 Mar 17 at 11:31..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Mar 17, 20:12
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
For us its"Father Ted".IMHO.
Old 27 Mar 17, 20:44
Major
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99] 17thfabn is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
For us its"Father Ted".IMHO.
Father Ted, is that for the UK or EU?
Old 27 Mar 17, 22:45
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better
Knowledge, sent to where I met him down the Lachlan, years ago,
He was shearing when I knew him, so I sent the letter to him,
Just `on spec', addressed as follows, `Clancy, of The Overflow'.

And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,
(And I think the same was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar)
'Twas his shearing mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quote it:
`Clancy's gone to Queensland droving, and we don't know where he are.'

In my wild erratic fancy visions come to me of Clancy
Gone a-droving `down the Cooper' where the Western drovers go;
As the stock are slowly stringing, Clancy rides behind them singing,
For the drover's life has pleasures that the townsfolk never know.

And the bush hath friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him
In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wond'rous glory of the everlasting stars.

I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy
Ray of sunlight struggles feebly down between the houses tall,
And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty, dirty city
Through the open window floating, spreads its foulness over all

And in place of lowing cattle, I can hear the fiendish rattle
Of the tramways and the 'buses making hurry down the street,
And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting,
Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet.

And the hurrying people daunt me, and their pallid faces haunt me
As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste,
With their eager eyes and greedy, and their stunted forms and weedy,
For townsfolk have no time to grow, they have no time to waste.

And I somehow rather fancy that I'd like to change with Clancy,
Like to take a turn at droving where the seasons come and go,
While he faced the round eternal of the cash-book and the journal --
But I doubt he'd suit the office, Clancy, of `The Overflow'.

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!
Old 28 Mar 17, 11:21
Major
United_States

grishnak,

Is Father Ted a T.V. program? I was leaning more towards written works. Novels, histories, etc.

I cheated a little with William Shakespeare, but due to the era a play was more accessible to the masses than a book. And many people read the plays as books.
Old 30 Mar 17, 12:49
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Those might be correct in historic sense, but if the question is which book represents my nation today the answers are completely different. Though Don Quixote, in a way, is always a valid example of the futility of human endeavors.
Old 30 Mar 17, 15:48
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
A couple years ago I would've said Mark Twain but sadly these days I'd have to go with Ayn Rand or George Orwell (I know he was British).

Homer

BoRG
Old 30 Mar 17, 16:57
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
Those might be correct in historic sense, but if the question is which book represents my nation today the answers are completely different. Though Don Quixote, in a way, is always a valid example of the futility of human endeavors.
This is a question that there can be many answers to. It all depends on your view point.

Is Shakespeare representative of today's England? No. Is he representative of the best of England's literary tradition? In my view yes. Some one else may feel that Charles Dickens, Jane Austin or J.R.R. Tolkien represent the best in English writing. (A WRONG answer would be J.K. Rowlings)

If your answering it from what author or book best represents your nation today it becomes much more difficult. Especially for the U.S. with its diverse culture.
Old 30 Mar 17, 17:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
A couple years ago I would've said Mark Twain but sadly these days I'd have to go with Ayn Rand or George Orwell (I know he was British).

Twain for our formative years. Rand, especially "Atlas Shrugged", for most of the past several decades.
Old 31 Mar 17, 08:51
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
I believe it would depend upon which era it was. Early on in the U.S., I would guess that the author could have been Benjamin Franklin. In the mid 1850s it might have been Ralph Waldo Emerson.

And so on.

Old 31 Mar 17, 10:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I have many American favorites, but across the board I believe Mark Twain wins hands down.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 31 Mar 17, 22:27
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Shelby Foote....
Old 04 Apr 17, 10:29
Corporal
United_States

BrianBoru2485 is on the path to success [1-99]
American Revolution: John Ferling( Almost A Miracle/ A Leap of Faith) modern wars, John Bruning, and thru years, Korea/ Vietnam, and FDNY (thanks), David Halberstam ( Best & the Brightest's/ The Coldest Winter/ Firehouse/ the 50's/. A shame he died so young in car accident.
Old 04 Apr 17, 21:43
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thfabn View Post
Father Ted, is that for the UK or EU?
Eire.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!