StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 26 Mar 17, 20:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up New U-Boot Sim Under Development

Pay attention how they obtain torpedo firing solution in the second video ("New Features"). Very interesting.

Also, very cool cross-section views of the sub, in real time, as the crew works inside.

Very cool damage/flooding sequence shown.

Obviously the game combines role playing features with simulations features. Nothing wrong with that; some of the greatest games have been like that.

Apparently you can board the captured ships. This has never been done in u-boot simulations before.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia

Last edited by MonsterZero; 26 Mar 17 at 20:53..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Mar 17, 10:30
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Sub sims are no doubt the most ambiguous genre among computer games,

a perfect sub sim will be a very boring game nonetheless, still I can't help but start one up now and again

Quote:
Apparently you can board the captured ships.
That doesn't make much sense, does it,

I want to sink them

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Mar 17, 11:00
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
That doesn't make much sense, does it,

I want to sink them
IIRC, in the early days lone merchantmen were allowed to abandon ship before the U-boat crew sank the vessel with the deck gun to save torpedoes.

Crews would broad for intelligence material and loot, particularly fresh food. And to scuttle the vessel.

But that might be incorrect, or from WW1.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 27 Mar 17, 11:10
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
IIRC, in the early days lone merchantmen were allowed to abandon ship before the U-boat crew sank the vessel with the deck gun to save torpedoes.

Crews would board for intelligence material and loot, particularly fresh food. And to scuttle the vessel.

But that might be incorrect, or from WW1.
WWI maybe - on remote seas ?

Although it would require the surrendering crew to maintain some form of "sportsmanship" that disappeared swiftly in the age of total war.

A submarine would be mostly defenceless at such short range, even against a single concealed deck gun.

The German surface raiders employed such tactics I believe - since stealth wasn't really an option for them, and they outgunned and outmanned most anything they encountered anyway.

Now maybe for the next Assassin game, it is something to think about,

subsim in the approach and then FPS as you clear the ship, with fancy killer moves ?

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Mar 17, 15:26
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
I cut my teeth on Aces of the Deep and Silent Service. Great sea graphics in this version, but still not as good as the ones they somehow developed for Aces. Good ship graphics, too.

I always wanted to spend more time with the Type XXI, but history allowed only one very short patrol.
Old 27 Mar 17, 15:45
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
It's been over twenty years since Aces of the Deep was released and Silent Hunter III (which is still considered by many to be the best sub sim around these days) has gotten pretty long in the tooth itself, so I wish Deep Water Studio and PlayWay S.A. the best of luck. I hope UBOOT will be a worthy successor to the great sub sims of the past.
Old 28 Mar 17, 19:51
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Unfortunately, you need a pretty hefty computer or play station to handle the games of today, and it's hardly worth it given the speed with which the next gen games make your expensive set-up already obsolete.
Old 28 Mar 17, 21:05
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
^ The computer I paid $2,000 for was six years old when it could not play everything I threw at it. I probably could have gone another year before getting a new one, but I replaced it last fall with one I paid $4,000 for.

As a friend of mine used to say, "The only difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys."
Old 29 Mar 17, 03:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Unfortunately, you need a pretty hefty computer or play station to handle the games of today, and it's hardly worth it given the speed with which the next gen games make your expensive set-up already obsolete.
I disagree because the race for higher performance has slowed down and you no longer see the exponential growth in computer graphics power we saw in the 1990s.

The video games rendered using todays' average systems in the $1,000-$1,500 range are so detailed it's becoming difficult to improve them without radical changes like virtual reality. I'm still using my old system I built from parts in 2012 so it's 5 years old and still running fine. I think I upgraded the video card once.

If I upgraded to the latest PC now it will give me maybe 10% improvement in graphics performance. It will be barely noticeable. There may be few games capable of taking advantage of the new power.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia

Last edited by MonsterZero; 29 Mar 17 at 03:50..
Old 02 Apr 17, 15:44
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
I disagree because the race for higher performance has slowed down and you no longer see the exponential growth in computer graphics power we saw in the 1990s.

The video games rendered using todays' average systems in the $1,000-$1,500 range are so detailed it's becoming difficult to improve them without radical changes like virtual reality. I'm still using my old system I built from parts in 2012 so it's 5 years old and still running fine. I think I upgraded the video card once.

If I upgraded to the latest PC now it will give me maybe 10% improvement in graphics performance. It will be barely noticeable. There may be few games capable of taking advantage of the new power.

We obviously differ in our needs, and in the capabilities of our computers. My compouter is a tool rather than a game station.

Old 07 Apr 17, 08:33
Brigadier General
United_States

Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99] Moulin is on the path to success [1-99]
...I'm a big gamer-
...the PC games are constantly requiring better PCs
...if you get a high performance one with great video card, that should be good for about 4 years for smooth running games--from my experience..also it depends on the genre/popularity of the games
--ie--Star Wars Battlefront coming out in November recommends better performance than my PC...looks like my PC is in between required and recommended--the old STWars runs fine...
however, I just read reviews on the 2015 STWars, and they said it didn't run well unless you had a high performance PC
..I just downloaded DCS flight sim and it seems to run fine
...good graphics card is a must

..depends on the games' designers also...I've had some games work like crap and others do well--ie Call of Duty ran fine
...I've got all the sub games....SH4 was was great because you could download a ton of free mods for it ..graphics and physics were phenomenal

..Destroyer Command and SH2 were the best because you could go DD vs sub or sub vs DD multiplayer

Mountain man--yes, that's true...but you can upgrade the PCs somewhat
..there's a ton of games either present or from a year or so ago that the PC should be able to handle
I still find games from 2013 that are great...I think there are many games out there to keep gamers satisfied
..but eventually, gamers will need a new PC

Last edited by Moulin; 07 Apr 17 at 08:55..
Old 07 Apr 17, 09:50
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
Pay attention how they obtain torpedo firing solution in the second video ("New Features"). Very interesting.

Also, very cool cross-section views of the sub, in real time, as the crew works inside.

Very cool damage/flooding sequence shown.

Obviously the game combines role playing features with simulations features. Nothing wrong with that; some of the greatest games have been like that.

Apparently you can board the captured ships. This has never been done in u-boot simulations before.

Save your money to tour the 505.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!