StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 25 Mar 17, 14:32
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Opinion of Robert Kennedy?

As a politician and during those times- and also his position on Vietnam?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 25 Mar 17, 19:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
As a politician and during those times- and also his position on Vietnam?
You sure don't want to hear mine.
Old 25 Mar 17, 21:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bobby Kennedy was John Kennedy's attack dog. He did state he would end the Vietnam War, but then, so did Nixon.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 25 Mar 17, 22:56
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Son of a bootlegger, brother of a unscrupulous politician, no great loss.

That's the nicest things I can say.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 26 Mar 17, 01:24
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Son of a bootlegger, brother of a unscrupulous politician, no great loss.

That's the nicest things I can say.
-Also, he was 'taken out' by some pretty iffy guys under the auspices of the darker side of US power politics.
Old 26 Mar 17, 01:34
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
-Also, he was 'taken out' by some pretty iffy guys under the auspices of the darker side of US power politics.
He was shot by a mentally challenged loser who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Presidential candidates did not receiver Secret Service protection until his death.

Just like the Sec Service doesn't let the POTUS ride in open-topped cars anymore.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 26 Mar 17, 09:57
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
The fourth volume of Caro's LBJ series centers quite a bit on the feud between LBJ vs. Bob Kennedy. (with the later constantly trying to politik against him and limit his power as vice president).

Once JFK is killed, LBJ executes his political offensive and Bob counterattacks.
Old 26 Mar 17, 13:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
He was shot by a mentally challenged loser who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Presidential candidates did not receiver Secret Service protection until his death.

Just like the Sec Service doesn't let the POTUS ride in open-topped cars anymore.
In fact, according to testimony that has been around for some time now, the fatal head wound came from his own Secret Service guard, whose weapon "accidentally discharged" as he was climbing over the back of the limo.

And, his Secret Service protective detail did absolutely everything wrong and left gaping holes in his protection. The Secret Service, in fact, WAS [present and in charge of protecting him.

Meanwhile, JFK was also a genuine war here and a great inspiration to America at the time, AND he wanted us out of Viet Nam. It took a corrupt and arrogant Texan named LBJ with strong ties to the industrial-military groups to kill 57,000 Americans over there while they made a fortune supplying the war, something Texans are good at - starting useless and incredibly expensive wars.

His brother, Robert, was a strong attorney general who was making significant inroads into organized crime in America.

History is a b*****, isn't she?

Last edited by Mountain Man; 26 Mar 17 at 13:29..
Old 26 Mar 17, 14:25
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
In fact, according to testimony that has been around for some time now, the fatal head wound came from his own Secret Service guard, whose weapon "accidentally discharged" as he was climbing over the back of the limo.

And, his Secret Service protective detail did absolutely everything wrong and left gaping holes in his protection. The Secret Service, in fact, WAS [present and in charge of protecting him.

Meanwhile, JFK was also a genuine war here and a great inspiration to America at the time, AND he wanted us out of Viet Nam. It took a corrupt and arrogant Texan named LBJ with strong ties to the industrial-military groups to kill 57,000 Americans over there while they made a fortune supplying the war, something Texans are good at - starting useless and incredibly expensive wars.

His brother, Robert, was a strong attorney general who was making significant inroads into organized crime in America.

History is a b*****, isn't she?
Robert did not have a Secret Service detail. At that time Presidential candidates did not get them. (his death changed that).

He had hired Rosy Greer and another guy as bodyguards, but changed plans abruptly and took off out the back while they were clearing a path to the front.

The situation you are referring to involved a uniformed private security guard hired by the hotel. It is a possible scenario since that security guard was carrying a .22 revolver, the same caliber as Sirhan Sirhan.

JFK was a war hero. He was inspiring to some. I disagree on his intentions towards Vietnam, but that's a topic for another thread. LBJ was, as you've noted, as crooked as a dog's hind leg. But the Kennedys weren't much better.
Old 26 Mar 17, 15:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Robert did not have a Secret Service detail. At that time Presidential candidates did not get them. (his death changed that).

He had hired Rosy Greer and another guy as bodyguards, but changed plans abruptly and took off out the back while they were clearing a path to the front.

The situation you are referring to involved a uniformed private security guard hired by the hotel. It is a possible scenario since that security guard was carrying a .22 revolver, the same caliber as Sirhan Sirhan.

JFK was a war hero. He was inspiring to some. I disagree on his intentions towards Vietnam, but that's a topic for another thread. LBJ was, as you've noted, as crooked as a dog's hind leg. But the Kennedys weren't much better.
Then who were the armed men accompanying him in that kitchen? Mafia?

Old 27 Mar 17, 14:31
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
RFK was killed while I was doing a tour in Vietnam. So I never knew anything about it except that Sirhan Sirhan was supposed to have done it. Reading the posts in this thread got me curious and when I did a little searching, I found an article entitled Did the CIA kill Bobby Kennedy? that I found interesting.
Old 29 Mar 17, 11:10
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
Tremendously talented speaker....courageous and a great leader....thats how I view RFK.
Join the Templars-http://www.knightstemplarorder.org/
Old 05 May 17, 00:21
First Lieutenant
United_States

GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm sure the same machine that got his brother and MLK also got Bobby.

The theory that JFK was hit at least in part to take Bobby out of the picture makes sense.

He did go after the Mob pretty hard. If indeed it was the Mob that helped get JFK elected, which I find believable, then I can see how the machine that hit him felt, in their opinion, that Bobby "forgot where he came from and how he actually got here".

I think he most likely stood a good chance of being elected if he had not been assassinated. Although I remember that assassination I was too young to really be able to evaluate the man at that time.

To be honest I'm surprised Ted lasted as long as he did. I never liked Ted at all.
Old 05 May 17, 00:32
First Lieutenant
United_States

GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99] GRA is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I agree it is a possible scenario. Interesting that Sirhan was supposedly in front of Bobby however the shots that killed him came from behind him (or vice-versa) at least according to a documentary I've seen.

Equally interesting is that Sirhan, and now as I understand the security guard, had the same caliber of weapon. Nowadays armed private security guards never use .22 caliber rimfire if they use a revolver. I don't know if requirements and/or standards were different back then.

Last time I saw Sirhan on TV he seemed to be mentally stable, which confuses me as to his alleged "rant" that he wrote in a diary (or similar book, etc.,), in which he was absolutely psychotic. Either he got very "cured" or thorazine does indeed do everything they say it does.

They've never identified the mysterious girl in the polka dot dress neither.
Old 05 May 17, 00:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA View Post
I agree it is a possible scenario. Interesting that Sirhan was supposedly in front of Bobby however the shots that killed him came from behind him (or vice-versa) at least according to a documentary I've seen.

Equally interesting is that Sirhan, and now as I understand the security guard, had the same caliber of weapon. Nowadays armed private security guards never use .22 caliber rimfire if they use a revolver. I don't know if requirements and/or standards were different back then.

Last time I saw Sirhan on TV he seemed to be mentally stable, which confuses me as to his alleged "rant" that he wrote in a diary (or similar book, etc.,), in which he was absolutely psychotic. Either he got very "cured" or thorazine does indeed do everything they say it does.

They've never identified the mysterious girl in the polka dot dress neither.
The security guard habitually carried a .22. I don't know if there were rules on that issue back then, but it is established that he did on occasion.

The wounds on the skull were inflicted as Robert fell. But if the security guard fired at Sirhan (he had no real training), he could easily have hit Robert.

I don't believe that either Kennedy was killed as part of a conspiracy, although I am sure that many factions cheered his demise. JFK was not far from a high-risk election with a very troubled first term. It would have been much simpler to just have funded his opponents and leak the truth about his womanizing, Mob issues, and pill addictions.

Sirhan shot Robert in front of a score of witnesses and on camera. There was simply no way that encounter could have been planed.

The only viable 60s conspiracy theroy I have seen is MLK's killing.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!