StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 20 Mar 17, 02:43
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100]
v.4 of Flames of War...

I have been playing Flames of War since 2005, and i have liked the progress that Battlefront had made in the game rules progressing through v.3. They had refined the rules to the point that each "nation" had its own character to them.

These rule sets made for a great game and they were adaptable enough to fight World War II, in all the theaters of action, and all the war from the attack on Poland to the defeat of Japan. The rules proved to be able to be modified to the point that the rule sets could be adapted to fight actions of World War I, the wars fought around Israel and the Vietnam War. The group i play with have even used "house" rolls to play some actions in Korea.

Then Battlefront brought out Team Yankee, their World War III rule sets, and well some of the refinement of the Flames of War were lost to make game play a little easier to pick up by beginners. Yes it was a good thought, and well i like playing it...but this lead Battlefront to review Flames of War. This review brought us Flames of War v.4.

In the process we lost some of the character of the combatants simulated. I think that bothers me because i have been playing the game for long. I have gotten use to those rules. Several other players i game with feel the same way.

Though I guess from the point of view of a new player Flames of War was getting complicated, and maybe from that point it was probably a good things, because it will know bring the players from Team Yankee over to Flames of War and so on.

Does anyone else that plays Flames of War have an opinion they would share to help this review along?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!