StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > General Gaming Discussion

Notices and Announcements

General Gaming Discussion Discussion of gaming subjects that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 17 Mar 17, 08:19
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Civilization 6

Anyone else playing this? Its a great game and fun in multiplayer.

Homer

BoRG
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 17 Mar 17, 10:06
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Never went beyond Civ IV.

It's still one of my favourite games though, I keep it around permanently and since I'm by now completely familiar with the mechanics it allows me to play casual, yet complicated games

Seems to get good reviews though, at first sight less controversial then V.

Free demo here, may try it later :

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag...vilization-vi/

Quote:
Definitely the best pre-expansion pack Civ since, well, ever. And I think, overall it beats an expanded Civ 5. And personally Id say it just about beats Civ 4 BTS, but can see the merit in those who say otherwise.

Yet despite all this, Ive certainly played it less than any other Civ, not sure why, perhaps there are just more games out there, perhaps my tastes have moved on, perhaps Paradox et al are just doing more interesting things in the genre..
Quote:
ooshp says:

Id almost agree, except the AI/diplomacy are absolute trash. Love the new city planning, espionage, and split culture/tech trees, all brilliant. But golly is the AI as terrible as its ever been.

And Gandhi is *still* a total ****.

Gandhi. Gandhi never changes.

How would you compare V to VI (or IV for that matter) ?

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Last edited by Snowygerry; 17 Mar 17 at 10:24..
Old 17 Mar 17, 20:58
Captain
United_States

phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I never went beyond Civ IV either. The one thing that I didn't like was when they started making you hunt down resources to build things. I didn't like having to travel halfway across a map to find rubber or oil, or whatever. What made it a real pain in the neck was the symbols for those resources were so small you could, or at least I would, easily miss them.

Is that still in V and VI? I might give VI a try if it's not.
Old 18 Mar 17, 02:04
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Never went beyond Civ IV.

It's still one of my favourite games though, I keep it around permanently and since I'm by now completely familiar with the mechanics it allows me to play casual, yet complicated games

Seems to get good reviews though, at first sight less controversial then V.

Free demo here, may try it later :

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag...vilization-vi/

How would you compare V to VI (or IV for that matter) ?
I played several hundred hours of both 4 and 5 and I absolutely love Civ 6. Its my favorite of the series by far.

Homer

BoRG
Old 18 Mar 17, 02:04
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil74501 View Post
I never went beyond Civ IV either. The one thing that I didn't like was when they started making you hunt down resources to build things. I didn't like having to travel halfway across a map to find rubber or oil, or whatever. What made it a real pain in the neck was the symbols for those resources were so small you could, or at least I would, easily miss them.

Is that still in V and VI? I might give VI a try if it's not.
Yes the resources are still in the game.

Homer

BoRG
Old 18 Mar 17, 08:41
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Never played any of them.Am I missing out.
Old 18 Mar 17, 10:39
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
Never played any of them.Am I missing out.
Yes.

Some of the best computer strategy games of all time.

Homer

BoRG
Old 18 Mar 17, 10:56
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
Yes.

As good as cossacks?
Old 18 Mar 17, 11:20
Captain
United_States

phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Yes.

Agreed. Civ I is what got me to buy my first computer, however many years ago that was. Just so I could play Civ. If you're not into those shoot-em-up-aimed-at-16 year old games, there's no better game than the Civ series...IMO.

If you look around at those old abandoned games websites, you can find the older Civ games you can download for free.
Old 18 Mar 17, 11:55
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Are any real time?
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Mar 17, 12:07
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I've played most, if not all the Civ games. I really liked Civ 5's 'one unit per hex' rule, which eliminated the doom stacks, and its elimination of transport vessels. Civ6 is next on my buy list.

The resource bit is tough, but my response has always been to build my empire with that concept in mind. Specific resources show up in certain types of terrain, so if you start planning early, there usually is no problem.

I only wish Leonard Nimoy was still narrating them.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 18 Mar 17, 22:40
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I've played most, if not all the Civ games. I really liked Civ 5's 'one unit per hex' rule, which eliminated the doom stacks, and its elimination of transport vessels. Civ6 is next on my buy list.

The resource bit is tough, but my response has always been to build my empire with that concept in mind. Specific resources show up in certain types of terrain, so if you start planning early, there usually is no problem.

I only wish Leonard Nimoy was still narrating them.
Civ 6 is 20% off right now on Steam.

Agreed on the planning ahead. Its even more important now with the city districts.

Homer

BoRG
Old 18 Mar 17, 23:52
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
I have played every game in the Civilization series. Civilization II with all its mods and Test of Time release was my favorite until Civilization IV came out. The best thing I can say about Civilization V and particularly Civilization VI is that they have the best graphics.
Old 19 Mar 17, 00:23
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Civ 6 is 20% off right now on Steam.

Agreed on the planning ahead. Its even more important now with the city districts.
I don't use Steam. I have too slow of a connection.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 20 Mar 17, 07:32
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
Never played any of them. Am I missing out.
Yes,

there's an unparalleled beauty in seeing that first settler standing in the middle of a small clearing in a sea of infinite blackness -

Will he thrive and develop into an empire that spans this world ?

Or will he be eaten by a wolf as he climbs the nearby hill ?

Also you'll never know the true meaning of the iconic motto,

"Just one more turn."

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!