StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 15 Mar 17, 08:00
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Money to Burn?

A Patriot missile costing $3,000,000 has been used to shoot down a drone costing $200. Someone has money to burn. War is generally wasteful but this takes the biscuit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39277940
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 15 Mar 17, 08:08
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Let me guess, Saudis shot down a Houthis drone.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.
Old 15 Mar 17, 08:17
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Well the Saudis and the Israelis both have patriots and both suffer from cheap drones but I think the latter are a bit more careful with the money. I've heard of lots of Jewish jokes about being tight fisted but never a Saudi one (although come to think I don't remember ever hearing a Saudi joke about anything - dour lot).
Old 15 Mar 17, 08:40
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
My one and only Saudi joke,I refuse to share.My response to the incomplete starting post is that the IDF would gladly spend 3.000.000 to save the life of a single child.
Old 15 Mar 17, 14:57
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
My one and only Saudi joke,I refuse to share.My response to the incomplete starting post is that the IDF would gladly spend 3.000.000 to save the life of a single child.
I meant I couldn't remember a Saudi telling a joke.

Any one who takes out a cheap drone which must be by definition at very low altitude using a patriot missile isn't going to be very concerned with the possibility of collateral damage
Old 15 Mar 17, 17:02
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I meant I couldn't remember a Saudi telling a joke.
My bad.
Any one who takes out a cheap drone which must be by definition at very low altitude using a patriot missile isn't going to be very concerned with the possibility of collateral damage

From a quick reading of the article my guess would be by Japan Israel or Saudi Arabia.The article makes no mention of the height the drone was flying at or local terrain.Logic would dictate that it was at medium to high altitude as at low to ground level flight it would be hard to hit even with Phalanx.All three countries employ both weapons systems.A threat defeated by Patriot in the specified altitude would more than likely been shot at by Phalanx first.I would cite Israel to be the most likely of the three to be able to keep such an event quiet.The riddle then is at which site in Israel would a 50 dollar drone be seen as a worthy threat to the on the spot air defense commander?IMHO.
Old 15 Mar 17, 23:42
Major General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
Why not something like a Stinger, SA-8 Gecko or Starstreak? Lots of Strela-2 and 3, FN-6 even some Blowpipe and Mistral in the region too. Lot cheaper. Maybe getting an infrared lock is hard on a drone being they are battery powered and don't produce much heat, but a optical, radio or laser guided missile should be able to hit a drone. However, I think the Vulcan gatling cannon would be the best value.
Old 15 Mar 17, 23:45
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
Why not something like a Stinger, SA-8 Gecko or Starstreak? Lots of Strela-2 and 3, FN-6 even some Blowpipe and Mistral in the region too. Lot cheaper. Maybe getting an infrared lock is hard on a drone being they are battery powered and don't produce much heat, but a optical, radio or laser guided missile should be able to hit a drone. However, I think the Vulcan gatling cannon would be the best value.
Some nice ideas there,but they do not fit with the original post
Old 16 Mar 17, 01:19
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Computer tracking .50 caliber M2 would have been better suited.

No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 16 Mar 17, 01:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Why not a 12 gauge?

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Mar 17, 01:41
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Why not a 12 gauge?
PULL!
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 16 Mar 17, 02:20
General of the Forums
France

sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
We are using eagles for tacking down the drones.
Seems stupid but it costs 200 grams of fresh meat every day
Old 16 Mar 17, 07:15
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebfrench76 View Post
We are using eagles for tacking down the drones.
Seems stupid but it costs 200 grams of fresh meat every day
Brill Seb,never had a very high opinion of French military/intelligence,but that decision alone rockets them into the top nine.IMHO.Friend request on the way.
Old 16 Mar 17, 07:17
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Why not a 12 gauge?
Old 16 Mar 17, 07:28
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
From a quick reading of the article my guess would be by Japan Israel or Saudi Arabia.The article makes no mention of the height the drone was flying at or local terrain.Logic would dictate that it was at medium to high altitude as at low to ground level flight it would be hard to hit even with Phalanx.All three countries employ both weapons systems.A threat defeated by Patriot in the specified altitude would more than likely been shot at by Phalanx first.I would cite Israel to be the most likely of the three to be able to keep such an event quiet.The riddle then is at which site in Israel would a 50 dollar drone be seen as a worthy threat to the on the spot air defense commander?IMHO.
It did say it was a $200 drone - they can'y get very high - cheap motors

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!