StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Military Modelling and Other Hobbies

Notices and Announcements

Military Modelling and Other Hobbies Discuss model building, memorabilia, art, and other hobbies.

Old 09 Oct 17, 20:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Weathering Powders

I've been getting back into painting and was looking into weathering powders, but was looking for any personal feedback on who I should purchase first. I usually do wargaming instead of static display models, so a sealant is a necessity there (even if it looks like it will take some of the texture and nuance out of it), but I'm still quite the new player when it comes to techniques more advanced than drybrushing.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Oct 17, 18:15
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
What kind of wargaming? Games Workshop? Warhammer 40K?
Citidael has tons of stuff to get messed up in for that hobby

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...el-Paint-Guide
Old 15 Oct 17, 01:35
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwys View Post
What kind of wargaming? Games Workshop? Warhammer 40K?
Citidael has tons of stuff to get messed up in for that hobby

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...el-Paint-Guide
Yeah, do love me some Warhammer, but Citadel products can be a bit pricey for what they are.
Old 16 Oct 17, 02:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Consider checking thru the "FineScale Modeler" website;
http://finescale.com/
Old 19 Oct 17, 07:29
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Try experimenting with pastel chalks. Just sand them down to a fine powder and use a brush to apply. Until you seal them down with light coats of clear, you can alter them as much as you like. They are good for getting into the crevices and wrinkles to highlight figures.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 19 Oct 17, 16:56
Sinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV Ron View Post
Try experimenting with pastel chalks. Just sand them down to a fine powder and use a brush to apply. Until you seal them down with light coats of clear, you can alter them as much as you like. They are good for getting into the crevices and wrinkles to highlight figures.
I’ve been looking at some tutorials and they seem very promising, though I’ll need to bone up on my technique first. I’ve seen talk of the use of alcohol to act as a binder to hold the powder in place while minimizing the loss of definition they provide, for example.
Old 21 Oct 17, 07:51
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
I’ve been looking at some tutorials and they seem very promising, though I’ll need to bone up on my technique first. I’ve seen talk of the use of alcohol to act as a binder to hold the powder in place while minimizing the loss of definition they provide, for example.
That is a similar method I used when I was doing furniture finishing work with the commercial grade powders that were in mostly wood tones from blonde to black. My binder was clear lacquer spray. Much of the time, it was painting in wood grain over a repair as well as matching the background color.

This is an extreme example of a table with a corner smashed and rebuilt using Bondo.

After

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 28 Oct 17, 01:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
I use the pigments from Secret Weapon.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.co...index&cPath=37

Can't say that I'm a good painter, but they worked for what I needed in the past.
Old 30 Oct 17, 15:14
Sinc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
I use the pigments from Secret Weapon.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.co...index&cPath=37

Can't say that I'm a good painter, but they worked for what I needed in the past.
This is actually one of the two sources I was looking at. I'm holding off for now, but might return when I've got another bout of free time to experiment with them.
Old 01 Nov 17, 18:35
General of the Forums
United_States

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
This is actually one of the two sources I was looking at. I'm holding off for now, but might return when I've got another bout of free time to experiment with them.
Cool.

Old 03 Nov 17, 02:17
Sinc

Quote:
Cool.
Well, I also had that warning sign of going through, adding everything I thought would be useful, and then taking a look at my shopping basket price tag. The lady wouldn’t appreciate that sort of surprise.
Old 03 Nov 17, 12:57
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Well, I also had that warning sign of going through, adding everything I thought would be useful, and then taking a look at my shopping basket price tag. The lady wouldn’t appreciate that sort of surprise.
Oh heck yeah, I get that.
Old 03 Nov 17, 15:01
Sinc

Quote:
Oh heck yeah, I get that.
“But baby, I need to accurately represent the dirt from the Vietnam highlands AND be able to weather my sci-fi vehicles accurately! It’s important!”
Old 05 Nov 17, 12:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
We model railroaders generally use artist's pastels, plus a few special powders made specifically in colors like Grime, Oily Dirt and similar artistic hues.

They're very useful.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!