StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 10 Mar 17, 21:00
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Is Caro's "Years of Lyndon Johnson" the greatest American political biography?

due to its sheer length, detail, and depth of research...it's hard to find others.

and there is a 5th volume TBA.

any others?

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Mar 17, 06:27
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
It looks interesting,but my reading list is overfull at present.I will put the first volume on my reserve list.
Old 11 Mar 17, 11:12
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
It looks interesting,but my reading list is overfull at present.I will put the first volume on my reserve list.
I bet you will buy the rest halfway through "the Path to Power".

I find it more riveting than "The Power Broker".

The series is definitely one that makes a person smarter in a general sense.
Old 11 Mar 17, 11:18
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Had a look on E Bay just in case,the second book is within the casual purchase price range,sadly not the case for the first volume.Checked it out on wiki,they get substantial rave reviews.
Old 11 Mar 17, 11:32
General of the Forums
United_States

The Power Broker and Master of the Senate won the Pulitzer prize for non-fiction. Path to Power won a bunch of awards.

The weaker book is the second one. The fourth one had good reviews.
Old 11 Mar 17, 19:03
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99]
I read them all via audible books. Extremely engrossing, fascinating, and informative. Power Broker - about Robert Moses, though good, was not as compelling to me.
Old 13 Mar 17, 10:30
General of the Forums
United_States

What makes LBJ more interesting than Moses is how his power is always on a razor-edge- it is precarious while Moses' power is establishment power, and on more or less solid ground.

LBJ bootstraps himself for political continuity, and this makes for something a bit more interesting.

both are brilliant though- my notes about "lessons learned" are very long.

Last edited by Cult Icon; 13 Mar 17 at 11:45..
Old 13 Mar 17, 21:02
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99] ktnbs is on the path to success [1-99]
I hadn't have thought of that aspect of the contrast between the Moses book and LBJ. Makes sense that the pronounced compelling nature of LBJ was his calculated risk taking. Very calculated but obviously still a risk and often an unexpected twist thwarted his plans but further calculations and luck would often prevail.
Old 14 Mar 17, 11:49
General of the Forums
United_States

LBJ, ruthlessly practical..had a talent for improvisation and repeatedly turning positions of little influence into those of political power with him at the center.

Moses was ruthless at consolidating power and destroying his enemies. He masterful chief executive that was successful at constantly expanding his power for 4 1/2 decades.

Moses was the lion; LBJ was the fox
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:52
General of the Forums
United_States

The greatest British biography?

Gilbert's Churchill is 8 volumes long and supposedly the longest biography in the English language.
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Mar 17, 12:27
General of the Forums
United_States

I am currently reading "Master of the Senate".
Old 17 Mar 17, 19:37
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
The greatest British biography?

Gilbert's Churchill is 8 volumes long and supposedly the longest biography in the English language.
I am due to re-read that one but probably will go with audible books instead as has been my bent the past several years.

Of the handful plus of Churchill "bios" I have read, the one that stood out for me was Roy Jenkins' if I was forced to choose one. Aside from the many others out there that seem to play on some theme vis a vis Churchill versus a bio that I dabble in on occasion.
Old 18 Mar 17, 22:50
General of the Forums
United_States

Old 20 Mar 17, 15:56
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnbs View Post
I am due to re-read that one but probably will go with audible books instead as has been my bent the past several years.

Of the handful plus of Churchill "bios" I have read, the one that stood out for me was Roy Jenkins' if I was forced to choose one. Aside from the many others out there that seem to play on some theme vis a vis Churchill versus a bio that I dabble in on occasion.
thanks for the info
Old 20 Mar 17, 22:47
General of the Forums
United_States

John Rockefeller, who worked with Moses on many projects (including the UN building) is dead.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!