StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 22 Jun 17, 22:44
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Yes, I saw Sammy Hernandez, but only said hello as we passed in the hallway. More to the point, SGM (Ret) Billy Waugh mentioned Sammy in his official speech to the association, naming some of the giants in our ranks.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 23 Jun 17, 13:27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
Yes, I saw Sammy Hernandez, but only said hello as we passed in the hallway. More to the point, SGM (Ret) Billy Waugh mentioned Sammy in his official speech to the association, naming some of the giants in our ranks.
Thank you! I remember him as a little Texican who was getting a bit chubby but could still outrun all the other NCOs in the battalion. You wouldn't think it to look at him!

Last edited by KRJ; 23 Jun 17 at 13:36..
Old 23 Jun 17, 14:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
If it happened, just if, then it was a pathfinder team setting up an LZ for a larger operation. Just saying, but sounds like a fantasy story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
Jeffy, I ran into three SF retirees at the SF "International" convention in Fayetteville last week who had served in the 101st Division in Vietnam, one of whom was a LRRP (L Co, 75th Rangers) in 1970. All three had the same reaction to the idea of a 101st Combat Jump in 1970; No effin way!
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 24 Jun 17, 14:18
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
If it happened, just if, then it was a pathfinder team setting up an LZ for a larger operation. Just saying, but sounds like a fantasy story.
I think it is a fantasy story and that it didn't happen. But I've held out for the remote possibility of a small pathfinder jump by the 101st pathfinders because of the largely unknown pathfinder jumps made by the 1st Cav's pathfinder unit.

I suspect the 1st Cav line units that air assaulted onto the LZs that had just been pathfinder DZs were largely unaware that a jump had just occurred. So if a 1st Cav veteran from that era were asked about a "combat jump" made by the Cav the answer would be no. Yet the Cav's pathfinders did.

But I can't find any info that the 101st pathfinders did.

Last edited by KRJ; 24 Jun 17 at 16:45..
Old 09 Aug 17, 02:58
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Wasn't the 101st an air assault divison during Vietnam?
Old 09 Aug 17, 07:36
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
Wasn't the 101st an air assault divison during Vietnam?
They were an airborne division when they deployed (1st Bde in 1965, the rest of the division in ~December 1967). In country, they were converted to the airmobile configuration, using both "101st Air Cavalry" and "101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)" in their quarterly AARs.

Air Assault (as in "101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)") was not used until ~1974, after the return from Vietnam, created, I believe, as part of the backlash against officially removing the airborne status from the division's 3d Bde (which was the reflagged remnants of 173rd Airborne Bde, which had generally managed to keep its airborne status in Vietnam, and was jumping again when redeployed to FT Campbell). Use of "Air Assault" in unit designations is unofficial- you won't see it in any of the Army lineage documents prepared by the Center for Military History.
Old 10 Aug 17, 11:15
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
I think it is a fantasy story and that it didn't happen. But I've held out for the remote possibility of a small pathfinder jump by the 101st pathfinders because of the largely unknown pathfinder jumps made by the 1st Cav's pathfinder unit.

I suspect the 1st Cav line units that air assaulted onto the LZs that had just been pathfinder DZs were largely unaware that a jump had just occurred. So if a 1st Cav veteran from that era were asked about a "combat jump" made by the Cav the answer would be no. Yet the Cav's pathfinders did.

But I can't find any info that the 101st pathfinders did.
Thanks, Gents--I appreciate this and all the followup notes.

BTW I attended that group last month; the guy was there, and I just didn't bring up the subject. That's pretty much the way I've decided to handle it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!