StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 28 Feb 17, 21:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
But you could have received both parachute pay and combat pay if you were assigned to a combat unit on jump status, correct?

What unit were you with and during what time period? (Just curious.)

Cheers,
Dan.
No, no jump within a 3 month period no pay, regardless of status.
1962-64 1/505th inf 82nd Abn Div. Ft Bragg NC.
1964-66 1/509th inf 8th Inf Div. Mainz/Gonsenheim, Germany.
1966-67 1/8th cav 1st Air Cav Div. Vietnam.
1967-68 1/504th inf 82nd Abn Div. Ft Bragg NC.
1968-69 MACV advisory team in the Mekong Delta, Sa Dec/Vinh Long, Vietnam, that's where my user name (Trung Si) comes from, the ARVN rangers called me that and by my last name which starts with the letter "P" but they pronounced it with the letter F.

Last edited by Trung Si; 28 Feb 17 at 22:04..
Old 28 Feb 17, 22:20
Sergeant Major
United_States

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung Si View Post
This has been changed for deploying airborne units. When I deployed in 2004, 2005-6 and 2007-8, if you were current for the month you deployed, and you jumped to cover the month you redeployed (so, if you redeployed in July, you had to jump in July, August or September), you kept your jump pay during the deployment.

By the way, I was the FSO for 2-505 at Fort Bragg and in Iraq, for 1-504 at Fort Bragg, and for 1st BCT/504th at Fort Bragg and in Iraq
Old 28 Feb 17, 22:30
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Jump pay was $55 a month during my tour in '68-'69.
Old 28 Feb 17, 22:42
General of the Forums
United_States

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
I think you were in th502nd, and you collected jump pay: hmmm: I guess Barsanti wasn't all that bad, $ 55 a month beats the hell out of two beers a day in base camp.

Last edited by Trung Si; 28 Feb 17 at 22:56..
Old 01 Mar 17, 16:42
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Sorry Captain, I didn't mean you personally. If a soldier was assigned to a combat unit which was on jump status, like the 173rd throughout its time in country, could that soldier earn both? Provided the jump requirements were met, of course.

Nonetheless, you had a very varied and what seems to have been an exciting career. Further to your time in Germany, did you know or where you aware of Tony Herbert? I think he was there at about the same time as you.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Mar 17, 21:18
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The story doesn't ring true for me either. The 101st was airmobile when the 1/501 and 1/502 came into our AO to reinforce us at LZ Professional (1/46)when an offensive tied up all the other Americal battalions. In May through August of 1969. I've read quite a bit on the war since and the 173rd jump at Junction City is the only mass combat jump I know of. As someone else said, Special Forces, etc. may have jumped but those, if they occurred, would have been on small recon missions, not large assaults. There were probably some insertions where they didn't want helicopter noise. Still LRP teams I knew of deployed by helicopter.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13
Old 01 Mar 17, 21:21
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
I didn't become jump qualified until after the war when I was in the Montana National Guard. I jumped from 1975 through 1977. Jump pay was still $55 a month for EM. I wonder what it is today?
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13
Old 01 Mar 17, 21:22
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Sorry Captain, I didn't mean you personally. If a soldier was assigned to a combat unit which was on jump status, like the 173rd throughout its time in country, could that soldier earn both? Provided the jump requirements were met, of course.

Nonetheless, you had a very varied and what seems to have been an exciting career. Further to your time in Germany, did you know or where you aware of Tony Herbert? I think he was there at about the same time as you.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan, I was wrong when I answered the first time, the jump requirements had been waived for all on jump status in in Vietnam in 1964 by executive action, so all in Special Forces, 173rd and 101st until late 1969 were paid both combat pay and parachute pay, I was totally unaware of this until now.
No that name doesn't ring a bell, what unit was he in, plus it's been over 50 years now, the Us Army still had a lot of troops in Germany then, as I recall we had 6 Divisions there, four infantry and two armored and thousand of support units, if he was in the 8th(a big division) we were in different places, our first Brigade (Airborne) was in Mainz and also operated the ABN school in Wiesbaden, our second Brigade was in Baumholder Idar- Oberstein, our third Brigade was in Mannheim-Sandhofen.

Last edited by Trung Si; 01 Mar 17 at 22:20..
Old 01 Mar 17, 21:29
Sergeant Major
United_States

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaKid View Post
I didn't become jump qualified until after the war when I was in the Montana National Guard. I jumped from 1975 through 1977. Jump pay was still $55 a month for EM. I wonder what it is today?
$150/mo for everyone- no more difference between officer and enlisted.
Old 01 Mar 17, 22:59
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaKid View Post
The story doesn't ring true for me either.
Agreed, but I want to offer some clarification on a few points.

Quote:
As someone else said, Special Forces, etc. may have jumped but those, if they occurred, would have been on small recon missions, not large assaults.
The MACV-SOG jumps were indeed small recon teams. But I believe the Mike Force jumps were mass tactical jumps of company to battalion size. I think there were three Mike Force jumps but I might be wrong on the exact number.

Funny story I read about one of the Mike Force jumps. Seems the SF ODA (A-Team in those days) had to hook up some of the Montagnards because the little fellers were too short to reach the anchor line cable. But they went out the door like big men when the green light came on! Airborne!

Well, maybe they were just a bit over anxious to get out of a SVNAF C-123. Hey, who could blame them?

Quote:
There were probably some insertions where they didn't want helicopter noise. Still LRP teams I knew of deployed by helicopter.
I'm aware of one USMC operational jump from, I believe, a C-46. I think it was a six-man recon team from 1st Marine Recon Battalion.

I don't know of any Army LRRP jumps. All the uncredited and now mostly forgotten Army jumps that I know of were pathfinder teams, specifically teams from the 1st Cav's 11th Pathfinder Company. Still, I have to wonder if the 101st pathfinders or some other pathfinder unit (1st AVN BDE?) might not have made a little known and now forgotten jump also. Hard to believe a pathfinder CO from the Cav would have jumped his teams and one from the 101st wouldn't have.

Last edited by KRJ; 01 Mar 17 at 23:04..
Old 01 Mar 17, 23:11
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
Agreed, but I want to offer some clarification on a few points.

The MACV-SOG jumps were indeed small recon teams. But I believe the Mike Force jumps were mass tactical jumps of company to battalion size. I think there were three Mike Force jumps but I might be wrong on the exact number.

Funny story I read about one of the Mike Force jumps. Seems the SF ODA (A-Team in those days) had to hook up some of the Montagnards because the little fellers were too short to reach the anchor line cable. But they went out the door like big men when the green light came on! Airborne!

Well, maybe they were just a bit over anxious to get out of a SVNAF C-123. Hey, who could blame them?

I'm aware of one USMC operational jump from, I believe, a C-46. I think it was a six-man recon team from 1st Marine Recon Battalion.

I don't know of any Army LRRP jumps. All the uncredited and now mostly forgotten Army jumps that I know of were pathfinder teams, specifically teams from the 1st Cav's 11th Pathfinder Company. Still, I have to wonder if the 101st pathfinders or some other pathfinder unit (1st AVN BDE?) might not have made a little known and now forgotten jump also. Hard to believe a pathfinder CO from the Cav would have jumped his teams and one from the 101st wouldn't have.
Yes, but only one counted as an actual Combat Jump, 2/503 inf, therefore the little bronze star in the precipitants jump wings, nothing else counts, end of story!
Old 01 Mar 17, 23:16
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Yes, but only one counted as an actual Combat Jump, 2/503 inf, therefore the little bronze star in the precipitants jump wings, nothing else counts, end of story!
Ha! Right you are, but I don't understand why. Seems like a pathfinder team jumping from a Huey at night on an unprepared DZ ought to count. But evidently it was not "mustard stain" worthy. Shame.
Old 02 Mar 17, 00:34
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
...Still, I have to wonder if the 101st pathfinders or some other pathfinder unit (1st AVN BDE?) might not have made a little known and now forgotten jump also. Hard to believe a pathfinder CO from the Cav would have jumped his teams and one from the 101st wouldn't have.
I take your point, KRJ, and that's why although the guy's story doesn't ring true, it still rates a maybe. Thanks for making it.
Old 05 Mar 17, 00:23
General
United_States

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
In 1965 enlisted jump pay was $55.00, Officer was $110.00. The 1st Bde of the 101st was jumping every three months in 1966 because it was still required. By 1968, of you were assigned to the 5th SFG on jump status, you drew jump pay whether you jumped or not. And the great majority did not jump. They didn't have the time. I drew jump pay for the entire year, and only jumped on 2 Hollywood training jumps in April '68 because we were training with our LLDB counterparts. On my second jump, I got to jump with the LLDB Nurses section, the only 'roundeye' to do so. ;-)

The Cambodian jump story sounds suspiciously like an old war story that's become familiar. I attend 101st Abn Assn meetings twice a year as an associate member, so I'll ask come the Market Garden picnic. Why would you drop someone out of a Huey? Especially at a time in the war when no small number of US Army aviators were highly experience in all means of insertions?

Oh, IIRC, the 5th SFG had 7 combat jumps it was counting when I left in 1969. Most were made by the A-503rd / B-55 MIKE Force, which was the country level SF parachute reaction force. None of the Vietnam drops matched the 504th Drop at Salerno, which was an emergency deployment of additional manpower into a beach-head that the Germans were in the process of overrunning in a critical sector.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 05 Mar 17, 13:44
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
The Cambodian jump story sounds suspiciously like an old war story that's become familiar. I attend 101st Abn Assn meetings twice a year as an associate member, so I'll ask come the Market Garden picnic. Why would you drop someone out of a Huey? Especially at a time in the war when no small number of US Army aviators were highly experience in all means of insertions?

Oh, IIRC, the 5th SFG had 7 combat jumps it was counting when I left in 1969. Most were made by the A-503rd / B-55 MIKE Force, which was the country level SF parachute reaction force. None of the Vietnam drops matched the 504th Drop at Salerno, which was an emergency deployment of additional manpower into a beach-head that the Germans were in the process of overrunning in a critical sector.
LL, I was hoping you would weigh in. Thanks in advance for checking. I'll truly appreciate it. I have to be with this guy in a small group for a 2-3 hour period once a month--otherwise I'd just let it go. I hope you run across someone who knows for sure. There is a factual issue, not a matter of opinion, and if anyone jumped with a parachute, it doesn't matter out of what. I'd like to know one way or the other if it's a fact that no US Army pers in 101st or "with the 101st" (the guy's words) parachute-jump inserted in Cambodia, say, late 1969 or later. A definite No will save me a pile of trouble going fwd--but it has to be definite.
(Some of the other details can always be up for grabs as with any undocumented war story. Our opinions and impressions of that are probably pretty similar. BTW he definitely did not indicate the jump resulted from aircraft distress--it was clearly put forth as some kind of combat op or related to combat op insertion.)
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!