StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 27 Feb 17, 12:24
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
101st Combat Parachute Jump Cambodia 1970?

I know there are well-informed members here who can rule on this. Thanks in advance for a reply.

I just ran across a guy who claimed to have made a combat parachute jump into Cambodia as a member of a unit of the 101st. (The guy didn't specify 1970, but he said he was 17 in 1969 when he joined the Army.)

As far as I know, nevah hoppen, GI.

I didn't interrogate the guy; he's missing a leg, others were present, and I saw nothing to be gained by taking up the matter, even if I'd been deadon sure about VN War US parachute jump history.

(The Only US Mil airborne inf unit parachute op I know of was in 1967, 173rd Reg, part of Junction City. There might have been an SF parachute op or two in Laos during Lam Son 719, but I say no 101st Inf unit ever parachute jumped into Cambodia.)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 Feb 17, 13:43
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
There might have been an SF parachute op or two in Laos during Lam Son 719, but I say no 101st Inf unit ever parachute jumped into Cambodia.)
And you would be correct.
The 506th was in Cambodia in 1970 to help the ARVNs, they were brought in by Helicopters, there was no need for a jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCfAL5l0yo

Last edited by Trung Si; 27 Feb 17 at 14:54..
Old 27 Feb 17, 17:58
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The only mass tactical combat parachute operation in Vietnam by a non-SF unit was operation Junction City in 1967.

I believe the 101st was an airmobile division by 1970, although its LRRPs and pathfinders may still have been on jump status. I'm not aware of any parachute operation by a field force, division, or brigade LRRP team. But pathfinders from the 1st Cav did make several "operational" (for lack of a better word) parachute jumps from Hueys to set up LZs before large air assaults. I don't think these were credited as "combat" jumps. And I don't know if pathfinders from the 101st ever did anything similar.

I suspect the guy is BSing. But perhaps there is the odd chance that a pathfinder team, or maybe even an ARP, from the 101st made a Huey blast at some point that never counted as a combat jump. As mentioned, I know pathfinders from the 1st Cav did.

Link: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...1th+Pathfinder

Last edited by KRJ; 27 Feb 17 at 18:42..
Old 27 Feb 17, 19:39
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Jeffy,

What KRJ said. Although I'm less inclined to concede the possibility of your guy having taken part in a 101st pathfinder or ARP jump from a helicopter, and it definitely wouldn't have taken place in Cambodia.

I think the guy is claiming combat experience he doesn't have (not unlike some of the posters on here).

There's really nothing one can do about it. If your guy's elderly, let him talk it up. He's 65 now, maybe his stories bring in the chicks!

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 27 Feb 17, 21:48
Sergeant Major
United_States

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
But pathfinders from the 1st Cav did make several "operational" (for lack of a better word) parachute jumps from Hueys to set up LZs before large air assaults. I don't think these were credited as "combat" jumps. And I don't know if pathfinders from the 101st ever did anything similar...But perhaps there is the odd chance that a pathfinder team, or maybe even an ARP, from the 101st made a Huey blast at some point that never counted as a combat jump. As mentioned, I know pathfinders from the 1st Cav did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
What KRJ said. Although I'm less inclined to concede the possibility of your guy having taken part in a 101st pathfinder or ARP jump from a helicopter, and it definitely wouldn't have taken place in Cambodia.
There's no reason that a Huey blast under the circumstances described wouldn't have counted as a combat jump. The 82d's parachute jump into the Salerno beachhead counted.
Old 27 Feb 17, 23:02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82redleg View Post
There's no reason that a Huey blast under the circumstances described wouldn't have counted as a combat jump.
Well I don't know why the jumps made by the 11th Pathfinder Company (1st Cav) were not considered combat jumps but apparently they were not. And there were 12 of them, all on unprepared DZs, and several at night.

Last edited by KRJ; 28 Feb 17 at 01:44..
Old 27 Feb 17, 23:19
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
So it's a "maybe so"?

Thanks, Gents, for the helpful replies and discussion.

I don't want the guy to be a lying phony--or deluded, or worse. He said he was in the 101st, got shot in the leg, hung up in a parachute in a tree in Cambodia. This is beginning to look more like an "I don't know," and "Maybe he's telling the truth" instead of a definite No. If some Cav units parachuted out of Hueys in Cambodia, why not a similar unit of the 101st? I'll look into it a little more thoroughly. Thanks.
(I don't care whether my term "combat jump" applies officially or not.)
Old 27 Feb 17, 23:37
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

I'd say it's a probably not, his story doesn't seem to pass the smell test. But there were a few parachute ops in Vietnam (and other places) that are largely unknown.

Example: Did the 101st jump into Bastogne? No, of course not. Everyone knows that, right? Not so fast, 24 pathfinders from the 101st jumped into the Bastogne perimeter after all the line units that arrived by truck were surrounded and cut off.

I believe all the 1st Cav pathfinder jumps were in SVN, not Cambodia.

Off topic, but here's some interesting old pics: http://www.11thpathfindercompany.org...-s-photos.html
Old 27 Feb 17, 23:50
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
I'd say it's a probably not, his story doesn't seem to pass the smell test. But there were a few parachute ops in Vietnam (and other places) that are largely unknown.

Example: Did the 101st jump into Bastogne? No, of course not. Everyone knows that, right? Not so fast, 24 pathfinders from the 101st jumped into the Bastogne perimeter after all the line units that arrived by truck were surrounded and cut off.

I believe all the 1st Cav pathfinder jumps were in SVN, not Cambodia.

Off topic, but here's some interesting old pics: http://www.11thpathfindercompany.org...-s-photos.html
Thanks. Good words. Pays to be both careful and thorough before acting on a BS detector signal.

Here's the most thorough source I find so far:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...orne-jumps.htm

I don't see anything that could be the quy.
"Troopers" mentioned in the 70-71 ops are Montagnards.

Another consideration is that 101st has a lot of esprit d' corps, and if they'd made Cambodia 1970 jumps, I don't think they'd be this hard to find.
Old 27 Feb 17, 23:58
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think the Airmobile Battalions had some Airborne qualified individuals. I also recall the 101st once had a couple of Airborne Battalions. This does not endorse the guys story, but is something I have not seen mentioned yet.

The one legged dude was probably Airborne qualified once.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Sponsored Links

Old 28 Feb 17, 07:09
Sergeant Major
United_States

82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99] 82redleg is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
I think the Airmobile Battalions had some Airborne qualified individuals. I also recall the 101st once had a couple of Airborne Battalions.
The original design of the airmobile division had 1 brigade on jump status. The 1st Cavalry Division deployed in 1965 with three battalions, 1-8 CAV, 2-8 CAV and 1-12 CAV, on jump status. I don't know exactly when they stopped the jump pay/status for these units.

The 101st deployed in 1965 (1st Brigade) and 1967 (the remainder of the division) on jump status, as a airborne division. The converted to the airmobile division structure in Vietnam [edited to add] from 1968-1969. The designations changed- they used 101st Air Cavalry Division both 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile) in their officially submitted AARs.[end edit] I've read that they weren't able to maintain jump status, but again I don't know exactly when the pay/status was officially stopped. It was stopped before they redeployed.

Both the 173d Airborne Brigade (which had apparently been able to maintain its jump status through Vietnam) and 101st Airborne Division (no longer on jump status) redeployed from Vietnam to Fort Campbell. In the flurry of reductions and inactivations as the force was drawn down at the end of the war, the 101st inactivated its 3d Brigade and some battalions, and the 173d reflagged to form a new 3d Brigade for the 101st, bringing two of its battalions (1-503 and 2-503) to the 101st. When jump status/pay for these units was stopped-not sure if it was in conjunction with the move or later- there were significant morale issues among the troops. $50/month was a significant component of the pay back then.

Last edited by 82redleg; 28 Feb 17 at 07:48..
Old 28 Feb 17, 12:32
General of the Forums
United_States

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
there were significant morale issues among the troops. $50/month was a significant component of the pay back then.
You mean $55, and one had to make a jump within a 3 Month time period to earn it.
Old 28 Feb 17, 14:57
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung Si View Post
You mean $55, and one had to make a jump within a 3 Month time period to earn it.
Had it been raised? I know it started at $50/mo and stayed there a long time, and that it has been $150/mo for a long time, but that $150/mo is a much less significant % of pay because basic pay has gone up so much comparatively.

The pay tables back to 1949 are posted at https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers...ay-charts.html

1965 basic pay:
E1 4mos<2yrs $93.90
E3 >2yrs $164.70
E4 >3yrs $216.00

1971 basic pay:
E1 4mos<2yrs $143.70
E3 >2yrs $252.30
E4 >3yrs $330.90
Old 28 Feb 17, 18:24
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Had it been raised? I know it started at $50/mo and stayed there a long time, and that it has been $150/mo for a long time, but that $150/mo is a much less significant % of pay because basic pay has gone up so much comparatively.

The pay tables back to 1949 are posted at https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers...ay-charts.html

1965 basic pay:
E1 4mos<2yrs $93.90
E3 >2yrs $164.70
E4 >3yrs $216.00

1971 basic pay:
E1 4mos<2yrs $143.70
E3 >2yrs $252.30
E4 >3yrs $330.90
I joined in 1962 and parachute pay was $55 for enlisted, $110 for officers and stayed the same until I got out, I was on jump status my whole career, with the exception when I was in country where the $65 combat pay made up for it.
Old 28 Feb 17, 18:59
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung Si View Post
I joined in 1962 and parachute pay was $55 for enlisted, $110 for officers and stayed the same until I got out, I was on jump status my whole career, with the exception when I was in country where the $65 combat pay made up for it.
But you could have received both parachute pay and combat pay if you were assigned to a combat unit on jump status, correct?

What unit were you with and during what time period? (Just curious.)

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!