StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 21 Feb 17, 17:26
Brigadier General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Ah, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
IIRC the St Regis-Warrior Society flap started 'round 1987 or so, but really flared up in '89 . . . . Had me an uncle 'round Plattsburgh way where I spent as much time as I could back then. The smuggling at the heart of the dispute, at least among the St Regis crowd, was of the snortable and injectable varieties. Yeah, the Warriors talked a lot about "heritage," but underneath the noble talk, there was narcotics -- an a lot a friggin' money -- at stake.
... 1987 eh? I left the Great White North for the wilds of Toronto when I was promoted in late 1989, where I was in the loop but peripheral to actual events. Our C/Supt. of Eastern Ont back then was a sharp, mentally tough, hands on type - he aged 10 years in 2 and was pulled out; Akwesasne is a running sore.

It's been awhile but I liked the Plattsburgh area, much nicer than Watertown.

Quote:
So that explains the reaction I get from folks: ancient French Slicks married Huron squaws, while ancient English/Scot/Welsh Slicks married Mohawks.
Next time those "folks" give you a hard time tell them that Huron and Mohawks are both Iroquoian peoples. Despite the later animosity, the Great Peacemaker Tekanawite who ended the warring and helped form the Haudenosaunee Five Nation Confederacy was born a Huron. Then finish them off by saying that you're quite comfortable in your skin; what ever else you do, do not show them an open palm and say "How", or mention that their hair would look good in your collection upstairs; it'll ruin that to-die-for proud, stoic Slick-the-Metis effect.
Old 21 Feb 17, 17:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
... 1987 eh? I left the Great White North for the wilds of Toronto when I was promoted in late 1989, where I was in the loop but peripheral to actual events. Our C/Supt. of Eastern Ont back then was a sharp, mentally tough, hands on type - he aged 10 years in 2 and was pulled out; Akwesasne is a running sore.
Just going on what I remember, which was compiled by visits, not residence, up there, and no visits from '88 to '92.

So is Akwesasne still hot, or has it cooled down to the normal level of daily bickering? You know how much Mohawks like to screw with each other.

Quote:
It's been awhile but I liked the Plattsburgh area, much nicer than Watertown.
Watertown has her charms too. Not too from from Ft Drum is NY's only dry hamlet. The real shocker is that I'd only learned of that recently: I've got cousins up there too.

Quote:
Next time those "folks" give you a hard time tell them that Huron and Mohawks are both Iroquoian peoples. Despite the later animosity, the Great Peacemaker Tekanawite who ended the warring and helped form the Haudenosaunee Five Nation Confederacy was born a Huron. Then finish them off by saying that you're quite comfortable in your skin; what ever else you do, do not show them an open palm and say "How", or mention that their hair would look good in your collection upstairs; it'll ruin that to-die-for proud, stoic Slick-the-Metis effect.
My ancestors were good at three things, and three things only: fighting, stealing, and fcking. I've got the Mohawk-Huron thing, I've also got English and French, and English and Irish, my Cossack mother married a Jew (took a shot from her old man for that one.) Hell, I even married a Polack -- from Jersey! What we've learned is that by expanding our genetic diversity, we've improved our progeny's ability to steal, fight, and fck exponentially. I foresee the Slick's of the future taking over the world.
Old 22 Feb 17, 13:07
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
... the relationship with New France, Anglo-America and the FN's is much more interesting than post-Treaty of Paris, 1763 and the British/Canadian period, and largely unknown south of the border.
A great deal of upheaval and uncertainty surrounding the future of New France during the Beaver Wars or Iroquois/ French Wars makes this volatile Colonial time really a life and death struggle.
I'm reading Daniel Duluth: Explorer or the North Lands book #31 of American Back Ground Books by David J. Abodaher presently.
Another from this group of American Classics I'd like to read is De Tonti of the Iron Hand book #12... https://www.librarything.com/series/...ckground+Books
King Louis XIV replacements for Frontenac were a real disaster in peace keeping efforts between the French & the Native Americans.
Frontenac's return to New France was too little too late as predicted by Daniel Duluth but it did serve to buy a little time for the Colony of New France.

Last edited by SmackUm; 22 Feb 17 at 14:46.. Reason: add link
Old 22 Feb 17, 14:42
Brigadier General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Just going on what I remember, which was compiled by visits, not residence, up there, and no visits from '88 to '92.

So is Akwesasne still hot, or has it cooled down to the normal level of daily bickering? You know how much Mohawks like to screw with each other.
I've been retired 5 years so it's been awhile. The last thing I remember Akwesasne related was a joint forces Task Force, boat chases in the area, and Chinese National/illegal aliens washing up on shore.

Mohawk warrior status can also be overblown by wannabes, they may have big mouths, otherwise they aren't all that. Take that famous picture that CD posted for example; the "Mohawk Warrior" depicted with the not too tall, not overly impressed "Vandoo", turned out to be a university student, a decent enough Algonquian from Western Canada who was all that.

Quote:
Watertown has her charms too. Not too from from Ft Drum is NY's only dry hamlet. The real shocker is that I'd only learned of that recently: I've got cousins up there too.
You'll have to explain to me what you find so charming about environs that include a dry hamlet in upstate NY ... better yet, are you fcking kidding me?

Quote:
My ancestors were good at three things, and three things only: fighting, stealing, and fcking. I've got the Mohawk-Huron thing, I've also got English and French, and English and Irish, my Cossack mother married a Jew (took a shot from her old man for that one.) Hell, I even married a Polack -- from Jersey! What we've learned is that by expanding our genetic diversity, we've improved our progeny's ability to steal, fight, and fck exponentially. I foresee the Slick's of the future taking over the world.
Years ago a wise senior fellow copper of Polish decent, from a detachment on the PQ border, transferred in to my det. and we worked together. From experience he was of the opinion that when French guys drink, all they want to do is ... fornicate. Poles? When they drink, all they want to do is fight.

When this wise senior fellow copper of Polish decent retired, he was elected to Parliament as a Tory, 3 federal elections in a row, he retired from gov't in 2015. OK, he became a politician, which belie's anything to do with wisdom, still he seems to have had a fairly good grip on your heritage, and your inner conflicts. All I can see so far, is don't take to the ice if there's a Slick on the other team still recovering from a bout of Strep Throat, but I'm open minded and willing to be further convinced of the rest.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!