StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 19 Sep 17, 20:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
Looks like "Brokeback Mountain II: The Remount."
Old 19 Sep 17, 21:06
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Either that map is flawed, or Hitler was a Christian though, ...

It is in this context interesting you should quote Deuteronomy btw, since that's precisely what the Muslims claim foretold the coming of THEIR prophet,

Deuteronomy 18:15-18 New International Version (NIV)

We'd all have been better off if this entire Abrahamic mess had stayed in the desert, where it belongs imho.[
Who is to say some other religion or ideology would come forth which you and other skeptics would equally criticize? Atheists are just as violent as religious folk ie NK and in the past... the USSR at times.
Old 19 Sep 17, 21:17
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Christianity is the only one with the Son of God himself in it, so it kinda gives it an edge..
I don't think Jesus would say one religion is supreme to another, same with Muhammad.

Now whats interesting wrt our discussion is that Muslims, or at least many Muslims...view Jesus as a Muslim. I think that is interesting, it would be like a Buddhist viewing Jesus as a Buddhist which btw this link explores,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jesu...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Itt we are seeing numerous views, some are critical of religion in general, some defend Islam while criticizing other religions. I will say I respect all religions even the Aztec religion. That is how religion has effected me.
Old 19 Sep 17, 21:20
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Jesus is not a "religion", he's JESUS!
And he's not interested in rites and rituals and stuff, he just wants MATES..

"You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends"- (John 15:15)
Great picture, it beats much of the bullying we see in our world.
Old 19 Sep 17, 22:07
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
I don't think Jesus would say one religion is supreme to another..
You can argue it out with him when you meet him..
Jesus said- "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.....You have one teacher, me" (John 14:5/6,Matt 23:10)
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Sep 17, 22:12
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
You can argue it out with him when you meet him..
Jesus said- "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.....You have one teacher, me" (John 14:5/6,Matt 23:10)
Well I stand by what I said.. And I do hope to meet Jesus, I certainly want to get into heaven.
Old 20 Sep 17, 03:23
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Well I stand by what I said.. And I do hope to meet Jesus, I certainly want to get into heaven.
Good luck mate but don't tell Peter at the pearlies that you think all religions are equal or he might tell you to get on your bike..
Old 20 Sep 17, 04:02
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Who is to say some other religion or ideology would come forth which you and other skeptics would equally criticize ? Atheists are just as violent as religious folk ie NK and in the past... the USSR at times.
Nationalism.

Equally bad as religion since it's just another opportunity for the clever bastards to manipulate the not-so clever bastards into doing their bidding.

That is not to say religion (like nationalism) cannot have positive effects at the individual level, but as political forces - we'd be better off without both imho.

If we must have deities - let it be a multitude of competing ones, the followers of the One-God are dangerous, since they inevitably want to murder the followers of a different God (or even those with a slightly different interpretation of the same.)

And ultimately both religion and nationalism run against an individual morality.

A man who's not master of his own morality is no man at all.

Quote:
Jesus is not a "religion", he's JESUS!
I'm inclined to agree - he was certainly master of his own morality, and arguably he took an existing religion and transformed it into a new one.

He did so by going against established religious dogma when he deemed it necessary though.

Every one of his so-called "followers" should do the same.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Last edited by Snowygerry; 20 Sep 17 at 04:34..
Old 20 Sep 17, 06:49
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Nationalism.

Equally bad as religion since it's just another opportunity for the clever bastards to manipulate the not-so clever bastards into doing their bidding.

That is not to say religion (like nationalism) cannot have positive effects at the individual level, but as political forces - we'd be better off without both imho.

If we must have deities - let it be a multitude of competing ones, the followers of the One-God are dangerous, since they inevitably want to murder the followers of a different God (or even those with a slightly different interpretation of the same.)

And ultimately both religion and nationalism run against an individual morality.

A man who's not master of his own morality is no man at all.

I'm inclined to agree - he was certainly master of his own morality, and arguably he took an existing religion and transformed it into a new one.

He did so by going against established religious dogma when he deemed it necessary though.

Every one of his so-called "followers" should do the same.
Religion can be bad. At the same time according to Websters a religion can be any cause or principle in which an individual has a strong belief in. To the NK Kim is their God, for some in the USSR it was Stalin. Even if one is not a Communist nor a Christian( btw some are both) they may be motivated perhaps by consumerism. Even if Deities or one God is not involved,in a sense religion is all around us. Whether or not the word religion is used we we have today and might always have societies or individuals with strong beliefs in something, beliefs which lead to good and bad actions.
Old 20 Sep 17, 06:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I don't think Jesus would say one religion is supreme to another, same with Muhammad.
Mohammed most certainly did by his actions and those that followed his death. Conquest and conversion most certainly make a statement of the superiority of one religion over another by that religion's followers.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 20 Sep 17, 06:59
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
(...). Even if Deities or one God is not involved,in a sense religion is all around us. Whether or not the word religion is used we we have today and might always have societies or individuals with strong beliefs in something, beliefs which lead to good and bad actions.
That's true - but for an individual to develop a religious faith in anything is quite exceptional,

it requires strength of mind and character and that alone already excludes a considerable portion of humanity who will just bumble along with no other interests then the satisfaction of their own immediate and personal desires.

For the strong of mind religious or not isn't really an issue, it's the feeble minded that become dangerous when they are instilled with either religious or nationalistic fervour.

Old 20 Sep 17, 09:06
Second Lieutenant
UK

jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Mohammed most certainly did by his actions and those that followed his death. Conquest and conversion most certainly make a statement of the superiority of one religion over another by that religion's followers.

al Q'uran- Sura 1

62. Those who believe (in the Qur-ān),
And those who follow the Jewish (scriptures),
And the Christians and the Sabians,
Any who believe in God
And the Last Day,
And work righteousness,
Shall have their reward
With their Lord: on them
Shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

136. Say ye: "We believe
In God, and the revelation
Given to us, and to Abraham,
Ismā'īl, Isaac, Jacob,
And the Tribes, and that given
To Moses and Jesus, and that given
To (all) Prophets from their Lord:
We make no difference
Between one and another of them:
And we bow to God in Islam.
Old 20 Sep 17, 09:11
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
That's true - but for an individual to develop a religious faith in anything is quite exceptional,

it requires strength of mind and character and that alone already excludes a considerable portion of humanity who will just bumble along with no other interests then the satisfaction of their own immediate and personal desires.

For the strong of mind religious or not isn't really an issue, it's the feeble minded that become dangerous when they are instilled with either religious or nationalistic fervour.
Or they're just crazy.
Old 20 Sep 17, 09:50
General of the Forums
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Or they're just crazy.
Hmm - difficult,

Isn't anyone who considers anything but his own self interest "crazy" ?

Some people love their country, their wife, their children, their God.

They'll all resort to ultimately counterproductive, inexplicable actions - I at least wouldn't call them crazy.

Choice and consequence - as long you recognize the logical and reasonable I consider anyone free to place their bets and cross their fingers.

What offends me is that some people aren't offered a choice.

If the only book to read is the Bible, the only education to get is a religious one, the only morality is one defined by scripture the origin of which can hardly be traced, and even your daily routine and every choice you make is pre-determined ?

You may as well be a plant.

Old 20 Sep 17, 09:59
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Hmm - difficult,

Isn't anyone who considers anything but his own self interest "crazy" ?

Some people love their country, their wife, their children, their God.

They'll all resort to ultimately counterproductive, inexplicable actions - I at least wouldn't call them crazy.

Choice and consequence - as long you recognize the logical and reasonable I consider anyone free to place their bets and cross their fingers.

What offends me is that some people aren't offered a choice.

If the only book to read is the Bible, the only education to get is a religious one, the only morality is one defined by scripture the origin of which can hardly be traced, and even your daily routine and every choice you make is pre-determined ?

You may as well be a plant.
I have no problem calling them crazy, I don't apologize for their actions.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!