StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 23 Mar 17, 15:26
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
In the past non combat casualties were more common than battle injures. In WW1 British non immediately fatal casualties on the Western Front were
  • 1914 Combat 59,346 Non Combat 78,557
  • 1915 Combat 239,867 Non Combat 579,738
  • 1916 Combat 500,576 Non Combat 643,921
  • 1917 Combat 564,691 Non Combat 1,042,266
  • 1918 Combat 624,486 Non Combat 1,184,004

Definition of non immediately fatal casualties - anyone treated by official medical personnel which were usualy the RAMC
Old 23 Mar 17, 15:50
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
From your limited perspective, it does still stand as does mine from my limited perspective.
After many years of military medicine both in garrison and in the field, and command of three separate troop clinics, my perspective is far from "limited".

To put it another way, I've seen thousands more patients than you have ever seen practitioners.
Old 23 Mar 17, 17:35
Lieutenant General
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500]
Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500] Kendrick is a jewel in the rough [500]
In the British Army during the two world wars, even when far away from the front line or even based in Britain, at least 0.3% were in the sick bay due to disease or minor injuries.
Old 23 Mar 17, 20:37
General of the Forums
Scotland
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I don't know about front-line soldiers, but in re-enactment we get our fair share of cuts, bumps, bruises, twisted ankles, etc.

That doesn't even include the genius Optio who got us to practise anti-cavalry formations without helmets.

Standing up under a scutum isn't exactly pleasant.
Old 23 Mar 17, 22:00
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
The information here may be helpful:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/boo...ct/ww2-ts.html

Scroll down to Medical Department.
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Mar 17, 08:36
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
In non western European theatres casualties doe to sickness could sometimes exceed combat casualties by over 300% in both WW1 and WW2 Malaria, typhus and enteric fever being major causes The Gt Uncle who appears as my avatar served in Egypt, the Western desert Gaza, Palestine and Syria in WW1 including four major battles not a scratch but was in hospital for a number of weeks with enteric fever on two occasions.

Last edited by MarkV; 24 Mar 17 at 08:43..
Old 24 Mar 17, 12:00
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
It's not rare in the Marine infantry.
It's very rare in Marine artillery units, also.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 24 Mar 17, 17:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
After many years of military medicine both in garrison and in the field, and command of three separate troop clinics, my perspective is far from "limited".

To put it another way, I've seen thousands more patients than you have ever seen practitioners.
You don't understand what I posted obviously.

You didn't have many years of serving in a ground combat unit, I didn't have many years serving in a military medical unit. This is where the limited perspective comes from for both of us.

Your perspective would be completely different and more on line with Massena & mine if your time would have been with the ground forces.

The last thing a Marine in an Artillery or Infantry unit would do is report to sickbay, especially if he or she was a Corporal or above.
Old 24 Mar 17, 20:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
You don't understand what I posted obviously.

You didn't have many years of serving in a ground combat unit, I didn't have many years serving in a military medical unit. This is where the limited perspective comes from for both of us.

Your perspective would be completely different and more on line with Massena & mine if your time would have been with the ground forces.

The last thing a Marine in an Artillery or Infantry unit would do is report to sickbay, especially if he or she was a Corporal or above.
Wrong again. I served 12 years in ground combat units, and everyone including sergeants major and colonel commanders showed up for sickline whenever they felt the need.

Those who didn't paid a very high price, like the Sergeant Major who felt tired after running and decided he merely needed to run harder. After months of this, he started experiencing a little shortness of breath and decided to have me give a listen. I boarded him out of the serve for his lung cancer.

I REPEAT: ONLY FOOLS AND IDIOTS DO NOT SEEK CARE WHEN PROBLEMS ARISE.

Old 24 Mar 17, 22:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Wrong again. I served 12 years in ground combat units, and everyone including sergeants major and colonel commanders showed up for sickline whenever they felt the need.
Wrong again MM, you are posting from your limited personal experiences.

As am I and anyone else here that is posting limited personal experiences while in the service.

For once read what is being posted and think about what you post BEFORE you hit the submit button.

Quote:
I REPEAT

THIS ISN'T A FIRE MISSION MM...........

Last edited by Nichols; 24 Mar 17 at 23:11..
Old 25 Mar 17, 00:38
Colonel
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200] eddie3rar is walking in the light [200]
About the only Regimental Aid Post that I didn't see full of malingerers was at Butterworth airbase in Malaysia where there was a great Indian Dr known as Dr Dan the VD-man. Cant fake gonorrhea

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!