StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 31 Jan 17, 18:03
General
Wales
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
Taboo

It's a bit bloodthirsty isn't it?

Now I don't mind a bit of blood and guts but I must admit to a fair bit of covering my eyes when this is on. Delaney is a beast.

Anyone else watching?

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 31 Jan 17, 18:05
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm enjoying it.

It's different, that is for certain.

Was the USA's attitude towards the EIC really an issue in real life, or is that just for drama's sake?
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 31 Jan 17, 18:08
Major General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Keep'em covered Tuck!

That guy sitting on the shitter is nude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Luck View Post
It's a bit bloodthirsty isn't it?

Now I don't mind a bit of blood and guts but I must admit to a fair bit of covering my eyes when this is on. Delaney is a beast.

Anyone else watching?

Old 31 Jan 17, 19:47
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Very enjoyable, although dark and murky at the moment. Reminds me a lot of Penny Dreadful.

Two thumbs up...

Old 01 Feb 17, 00:23
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am watching it.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 01 Feb 17, 01:30
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm watching but it should be labelled 'fantasy thriller'.

The portrayal of of the Duke of Richmond is bollocks, though he was no-one to be trifled with. And Sir Stuart Strange, was at this time, in India trying to regain his wealth and when he did come back to Britain in 1815, he went to Scotland.

Sir Stuart Strange

And why does the Prince of Wales look like he has bathed in acid?

Other than that, It's OK if it is looked at as a Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell type of drama.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 01 Feb 17, 09:43
Brigadier General
Russia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
The authors wanted to emphasise Prince of Wales' soft spot for alcohol, IMO. Actually (almost?) all protagonists look ugly.
And the capital of the Empire looks rather err... gloomy.

But I like the film, or in fact, the 2 or 3 episodes already shown here. Most of all (so far) I was amused by the scene in theatre (in Covent Garden, IIRC) when that woman was telling prices for actresses per hour while the crowd was chanting "God Save The King".

And, to Arnold J Rimmer. There was certain border dispute between USA and UK. But I think, drama had taken its huge toll.

Last edited by dmf01; 01 Feb 17 at 16:32..
Old 01 Feb 17, 15:20
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf01 View Post
And, to Arnold J Rimmer. The was certain border dispute between USA and UK. But I think, drama had taken its huge toll.
I was aware of the border issues in the Pacific coast, but I was wondering about the East India Company; in the show they suggest that the Americans banned it from their ports; I was wondering if that were true.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 01 Feb 17, 15:32
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I don't recall the EIC doing business in the US. They were still upset about a tea party in Boston...Besides the two countries were at war.

I expected the Prince Regent to be shown as short, grossly fat and not too good looking. The Royal Family had to breed out the short genes in the genetic mix. Charles is only about 5'9" and his Father was over 6 foot. Harry and William got some height from the Spencer side of the family. George III's kids were all fat and hit with the ugly stick. George's wife made things worse.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 01 Feb 17, 15:44
General
Wales

Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf01 View Post
The authors wanted to emphasise Prince of Wales' soft spot for alcohol, IMO. Actually (almost?) all protagonists look ugly.
And the capital of the Empire looks rather err... gloomy.

But I like the film, or in fact, the 2 or 3 episodes already shown here. Most of all (so far) I was amused by the scene in theatre (in Covent Garden, IIRC) when that woman was telling prices for actresses per hour while the crowd was chanting "God Save The King".

And, to Arnold J Rimmer. The was certain border dispute between USA and UK. But I think, drama had taken its huge toll.
Understood, but that doesn't explain his strange colour and peeling skin does it. It's like the make up department have gone completely over the top?

The Prince of Wales was reasonably good looking when young - a real ladies' man, charming and witty when he wanted to be, with a string of mistresses and numerous illegitimate children. He grew fat and gouty with age due to his 'excesses' booze, food and a generally dissolute lifestyle. Hhe was eccentric, even mentally ill some might argue, certainly disliked and an object of ridicule ... but I agree with Dibs, his appearance in this is way over the top. Even the 'weight' appears to be a cushion stuffed down his breeches to give the appearance of a gut, whereas the rest of him is just normal size. The real life Prince grew plump, then fat, all over.

I'm just trying to work out the timeline on this. George IV lived until he was 67 becoming king in 1820, when he was 57. So what age is he supposed to be in this. Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Feb 17, 15:58
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Understood, but that doesn't explain his strange colour and peeling skin does it. It's like the make up department have gone completely over the top?

The Prince of Wales was reasonably good looking when young - a real ladies' man, charming and witty when he wanted to be, with a string of mistresses and numerous illegitimate children. He grew fat and gouty with age due to his 'excesses' booze, food and a generally dissolute lifestyle. Hhe was eccentric, even mentally ill some might argue, certainly disliked and an object of ridicule ... but I agree with Dibs, his appearance in this is way over the top. Even the 'weight' appears to be a cushion stuffed down his breeches to give the appearance of a gut, whereas the rest of him is just normal size. The real life Prince grew plump, then fat, all over.

I'm just trying to work out the timeline on this. George IV lived until he was 67 becoming king in 1820, when he was 57. So what age is he supposed to be in this. Does anyone know?
The are talking about the impending Treaty of Ghent, which takes place in December 1814, so I an guessing it is fall 1814. So that would make him around 51.
Old 01 Feb 17, 16:05
General
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
The are talking about the impending Treaty of Ghent, which takes place in December 1814, so I an guessing it is fall 1814. So that would make him around 51.
Ok, fair enough, so he would be looking a bit frayed around the edges by then.

I just think the make up is a bit OTT, but then it's OTT for all of the characters.
Old 01 Feb 17, 16:12
General
Wales

Can I ask another question?

Did they really say the 'F' word - you know the one .. so often back then?

Was it used in normal speech as it is now?
Old 01 Feb 17, 16:15
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Can I ask another question?

Did they really say the 'F' word - you know the one .. so often back then?

Was it used in normal speech as it is now?
Well, it was around back then, but I expect period profanity would not be understood by modern watchers.
Old 01 Feb 17, 16:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
That guy sitting on the shitter is nude!
His is, but he is sitting in the hold of a ship he just purchased, which he discovered has been used as a slaver.

Besides being about half-insane, he has very painful memories of slave ships.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!