StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Hosting > ARK - Survival Evolved

Notices and Announcements

ARK - Survival Evolved Ark Discussion & home of the DETH CLUSTER of servers

Old 07 Dec 16, 07:07
Private First Class
United_States

Poison is a balanced individual [0]
Influx of foreign players.

As many on the server have seen, there have been a large influx of Chinese streamers gathering other Chinese players (open their steam profile and open other nicknames used, or the profile itself will be private) in and beginning to flood the server attacking everyone, old or new in the middle of the night.

In the more recent days I've witnessed a fair share of new players joining, and not even 8 hours later they're complaining in global about their little thatch/stone base being gone. While I can attest to this, I've been scattering some thatch foundations with nothing in them along each of the shores and coming back online to see them all destroyed. (I've witnessed them just riding a quetz in and just going crazy on a couple). A week ago or so they started joining, and now there's roughly 10+ that I've been spotting online, with bases much stronger than any of ours.

I work nights, so on my nights off, it's only me and a 6-9 of them on at those hours.

Don't take it as me being racially ignorant, or racist at all, but anyone that's played on an official server knows what happens when this starts becoming an issue. They start to mass in large groups of 40+ always online destroying and wiping everyone every night.

This in consequence has caused multiple servers to die and become inactive because let's face it, it's impossible to counter. In a week they built more than we can deal with.

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid, or even extra cautious, but from what I'm spotting, it's already beginning.

Simply Google "Ark Chinese", and you'll find hundreds and hundreds of pages of people saying they were forced to move servers because of that.

Just figured I'd bring it up, because when it happens, it always ends badly.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Dec 16, 08:00
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
A common problem with all on line multiplayer games on public servers. Worse yet, they cheat using aim bots and other hacks. The solutions is to get together with like friends on a private server so they can be locked out.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 07 Dec 16, 10:01
Private First Class
United_States

While I understand the entire "Move to a private server" logic, and while it's understandable, I'd hate to be forced to move servers again (The last server I played on got Chinese zerged, and the one before that) because of Chinese players massing on a server and wiping it. It's uncontrollable on official servers because lack of any form of administrative control, but on unofficial it can at least be maintained to a degree.

While I'd love to see the current server expand and prosper, and that's why I bring up such issues and recommend various mods, I can't help but bring this up with hopes that the same outcome doesn't happen on this server as well.
Old 07 Dec 16, 10:21
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Can't you set up an ambush or something ?

It may take some to arrange but should be great fun

Or pay them in kind and raid their villages when they are asleep.

I know next to nothing about online games, just thinking out loud..

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 07 Dec 16, 11:26
Private First Class
United_States

While that's definitely a possibility, understand that it doesn't quite work out as you'd think. We attempted that course of action numerous times on official servers to try and keep them out, but what they do is mob together in swarms of 20-30 Chinese players running around naked punching people and flat out attacking everything. They will zerg and rush everything they come across. In a week, they'll be rebuilt and back to what they were doing before they were initially wiped. I was official 37 prior, and we'd have a Chinese player hunt every single night to try and prevent them from rebuilding. It's bad when the entire server bands together every night just to hunt Chinese players. To me, it ruins the core aspect of the game. It shouldn't be a server hunting down those players just to maintain server population.
Old 07 Dec 16, 11:30
Private First Class
United_States

Also to clarify, it was a server population of 30 or so people hunting 30-40 Chinese players. It's pretty much impossible currently when we're practically outnumbered 3 to 1, easily.
Old 07 Dec 16, 11:31
General of the Forums
Belgium

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
(...) swarms of 20-30 Chinese players running around naked punching people and flat out attacking everything. .
I see

Perhaps that's why I never got into online games, not ones that require you to build or defend something anyway, I remember some good times online with free roam shooters like GTA or the other one set in the Wild West ..

But this seems just a waste of time in this manner, hope you can work it out.

Old 07 Dec 16, 11:34
General of the Forums
Belgium

Quote:
Also to clarify, it was a server population of 30 or so people hunting 30-40 Chinese players. It's pretty much impossible currently when we're practically outnumbered 3 to 1, easily.
Well yes, I guess it's a testament to the quality of the game -

the only realistic defence against a bunch of naked guys raiding your camp during the night is an even greater bunch of armed guys standing watch.

But that likely doesn't make for a good game, how about dogs ?

People domesticated dogs for reason, they're probably the earliest force multiplier

Old 07 Dec 16, 11:43
Private First Class
United_States

While I love the idea of ARK and I'm totally against region locking, because I'm personally a fan of diversity, there's always been an issue specifically with Chinese zergs. Due to time zone differences, when they're online, most of us (all 6 or so of us and 10+ and growing daily of them) are sleeping. That time is their prime time/raid time. There's always at least one of them on at all hours simply because of the sheer numbers of them.

You could have the largest base ever, but I've seen groups of them just suicide dive into bases to waste bullets, and they'll do this for hours until your base is drained.

While I don't blame the development team or the quality itself for the ridiculous behavior they've seemed to develop to completely ruin servers, it is indeed a problem with not a lot of fixes. That's one of the big reasons I started playing on unofficial servers, just so I wouldn't have to see Chinese swarms there as well.

All they do in any server I've seen them in is grief everyone and everything until everyone has left and moved on.
Old 07 Dec 16, 11:55
General of the Forums
Belgium

Quote:
(...)
While I don't blame the development team or the quality itself for the ridiculous behavior they've seemed to develop to completely ruin servers, it is indeed a problem with not a lot of fixes. That's one of the big reasons I started playing on unofficial servers, just so I wouldn't have to see Chinese swarms there as well.
Agree,

you'd need something automated that protects a camp while your offline and is not in itself overpowered so as to make camps invulnerable, since a night attack is a valid tactic as such.

Having servers with players from similar time zones only would be an option I guess, even then they could still stay up all night..

I suspect it'll have to be a game mechanic, a design challenge if ever I saw one, good luck with all that

Sponsored Links

Old 07 Dec 16, 12:11
Private First Class
United_States

That's pretty much one of the implementations that were recently added actually. ORP - Offline Raid Protection. It triples structures health to the tribe if all members are currently offline. That doesn't help much against such a large swarm though sadly. They spend too little to gain too much in comparison to everyone else on the server. What takes all of us a week, they have in 4 hours. The size number alone is the painful part. While it would take 3x as many hits from a single person, it doesn't really delay 10 people much.
Old 07 Dec 16, 22:31
Hero of ACG
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99]
We'll be keeping a close eye on this. All the admins are experienced with this type of occurrence, and we'll use all the tools at our disposal to remedy the issue when it arises.

We'd prefer to keep it 'in the game' whenever possible, where the community bands together to take care of the problem, but if we need to go beyond that, we will. (I have NO difficulty removing people from the server that are only there to cause grief to others).

On a more positive note, all we've really had so far is a couple players raising hell, and not the concerted server-wide destruction that's being discussed. We had a young kid around 13 cause that much trouble in the opening couple of weeks, but a good pounding straightened things out.

Hopefully that will also be the case here.

If not, we'll go with option "B'...

Winston Churchill
Old 07 Dec 16, 23:35
Private First Class
United_States

As long as the almighty server admins know about this, and have an eye on things, I'll stay safe in my little water cave and watch what unravels in the future.
Old 08 Dec 16, 00:24
Hero of ACG
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99]
Yes. That's the beauty of active admins, and good players who'll help us keep tabs on this kind of thing. (Hat tip to Poison).

We've seen some extreme pvp, where skilled players had some brutal feuds, massive base raids and constant fighting; and we've also been on servers that were overrun by Chinese griefers. After they ruined the server, they would login once every two to three days and wipe everything out right down to the ground. They weren't even playing - they just wanted to make sure no one was having any fun.

Everyone can tell the difference, and the latter will not be tolerated.

We don't have a 24/7 presence, but one or more of us are on every single day, and the forums are probably looked at over a dozen times or more. We can react pretty quickly if we're in the loop.

I wish more of the players would take a minute and join us here!

Winston Churchill
Old 08 Dec 16, 00:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
Yes. That's the beauty of active admins, and good players who'll help us keep tabs on this kind of thing. (Hat tip to Poison).

We've seen some extreme pvp, where skilled players had some brutal feuds, massive base raids and constant fighting; and we've also been on servers that were overrun by Chinese griefers. After they ruined the server, they would login once every two to three days and wipe everything out right down to the ground. They weren't even playing - they just wanted to make sure no one was having any fun.

Everyone can tell the difference, and the latter will not be tolerated.

We don't have a 24/7 presence, but one or more of us are on every single day, and the forums are probably looked at over a dozen times or more. We can react pretty quickly if we're in the loop.

I wish more of the users would take a minute and join us here!
I remember hearing about the bloodbath of B-R5RB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

You should take steps that your game isn't a revisit of such. I won't spend a penny on a mmo because its silly to spend a penny on such a system.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!