StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Age of Formative Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Formative Expansion 1789-1830 To begin with the 1st US President & extend through the Whiskey Rebellion, Quasi War with France, War of 1812, & southeastern Indian wars,

Old 21 Oct 16, 11:17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
New book coming on War of 1812

Brian Kilmeade from Fox News is going to put his name on a forthcoming book on the War of 1812. I suspect that he does not actually do any of the writing on these types of books. Most likely it is the co-author who does the writing. If it is like his book Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates, there will be no documentation. What will be interesting to see is how well it sells. Books on this war do NOT sell well, but this may be the exception.

Behind the books with Brian Kilmeade

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Oct 16, 12:52
General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
Brian Kilmeade from Fox News is going to put his name on a forthcoming book on the War of 1812. I suspect that he does not actually do any of the writing on these types of books. Most likely it is the co-author who does the writing. If it is like his book Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates, there will be no documentation. What will be interesting to see is how well it sells. Books on this war do NOT sell well, but this may be the exception.

Behind the books with Brian Kilmeade
Why does everyone head for the Battle of New Orleans? . The blockade and privateers would be a way better subject they were more important and hardly get touched on in any real detail.
Old 21 Oct 16, 13:20
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Related: The Naval War of 1812: A Documentary History

Four volumes, all sides. I digitized the volumes back in '08, IIRC.
Old 21 Oct 16, 15:18
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Kilmeade's first two books were poorly done and not well-researched. Unfortunately, I bought both of them to read. There are more and better books on the market and if he's going to do one on 1812 I won't get it.

I wonder what they will research for New Orleans. Undoubtedly, the rifle will be the winner of the battle, not the artillery which actually occurred.

In short, I'm not impressed.

Regarding the 4-Volume work on the primary material mentioned, it is excellent and a definite must-have.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 14 Mar 17, 20:07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Related: The Naval War of 1812: A Documentary History

Four volumes, all sides. I digitized the volumes back in '08, IIRC.
Thanks for this. I am only seeing three volumes on the War of 1812. Where is the fourth volume?
Old 14 Mar 17, 20:10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Kilmeade's first two books were poorly done and not well-researched. Unfortunately, I bought both of them to read. There are more and better books on the market and if he's going to do one on 1812 I won't get it.

I wonder what they will research for New Orleans. Undoubtedly, the rifle will be the winner of the battle, not the artillery which actually occurred.

In short, I'm not impressed.

Regarding the 4-Volume work on the primary material mentioned, it is excellent and a definite must-have.
I'm also not impressed with Kilmeade's previous books, but they do seem to sell.
Old 14 Mar 17, 20:27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKPLACE View Post
Why does everyone head for the Battle of New Orleans? . The blockade and privateers would be a way better subject they were more important and hardly get touched on in any real detail.
In the last few years I'm aware of three new books on the battle at New Orleans. There may be a few others that I'm not aware of but they are probably minor books. The area of the war that seems to be most written about is the fighting in the Chesapeake Bay area and that is why Kilmeade's publisher did not want another book on the area.

A book on privateers would be particularly interesting. It should be a topic that has many different and exciting tales. By contrast, the blockade, while a significant aspect of the war, would be more difficult to sell. I would like to see a book on the blockade that covers the entire U.S. and not just the northeast. It would also have to examine the political decision making in Washington, D.C. to determine if it did in fact have a decisive impact as some have alleged.
Old 14 Mar 17, 23:24
Brigadier General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Thanks for this. I am only seeing three volumes on the War of 1812. Where is the fourth volume?
Taco, the series has been published as follows:
Volume 1, 1812, 1985; volume 2, 1813, 1992; volume 3, 1814-1815, 2002, as far as I know the 4th Volume was expected in 2014, apparently it still hasn't been published; I've been waiting patiently for it to appear in print.

This is from the Preface to Volume III:

"- Volume 1 treats the origins of the conflict, beginning with events in 1805, continuing to the beginning of the war and subsequent events through December 1812.
- Volume 2 treats the events of the year 1813.
- Volumes 3 and 4 divide geographically and thematically, rather than chronologically. The present volume [i.e. Volume III] treats the events of 1814 and 1815 on the inland waters of North America and on the Pacific Ocean. Volume 4 will treat the same years on the Atlantic Ocean, in the Gulf of Mexico, and on the Indian Ocean, and general memes that do not confine themselves to specific operational theaters."
Old 16 Mar 17, 05:25
General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
In the last few years I'm aware of three new books on the battle at New Orleans. There may be a few others that I'm not aware of but they are probably minor books. The area of the war that seems to be most written about is the fighting in the Chesapeake Bay area and that is why Kilmeade's publisher did not want another book on the area.

A book on privateers would be particularly interesting. It should be a topic that has many different and exciting tales. By contrast, the blockade, while a significant aspect of the war, would be more difficult to sell. I would like to see a book on the blockade that covers the entire U.S. and not just the northeast. It would also have to examine the political decision making in Washington, D.C. to determine if it did in fact have a decisive impact as some have alleged.
The thing is that to cover the privateers properly you will have to go into an amount of detail on the blockade? And the other way around for that matter. The problem being that the whole process isn't sexy enough for publishers.
Old 16 Mar 17, 15:14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKPLACE View Post
The thing is that to cover the privateers properly you will have to go into an amount of detail on the blockade? And the other way around for that matter. The problem being that the whole process isn't sexy enough for publishers.
There is some overlap with the two issues of privateers and the blockade, but more important than the blockade to privateers was the use of convoys by the Royal Navy. The blockade prevented U.S. privateers from bringing back captured ships, but they could still take them to French ports or burn them after taking off valuables. There have been some books written on privateers and the Canadian historian Faye M. Kert has done some good work on this subject. It would be important to look at the privateers of both sides and not just the U.S. side. It is certainly true that this subject is not what publishers think can sell and they are probably right. Thatís why academic presses are the most likely source to publish this kind of work. The British historian Jon Latimer stated that he could not get his book, 1812: War with America, published in Britain, so he tried in the U.S. and Harvard University Press published it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!