StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II

Notices and Announcements

Armor in World War II Discuss all aspects & disciplines of World War II Armor here.

Old 21 Oct 16, 05:44
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up

Might not have been as swift as a Gazelle, but a Churchill could climb... like a mountain goat.

And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.

Last edited by Von Richter; 21 Oct 16 at 05:51..
Old 21 Oct 16, 06:57
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
I started playing World Of Tanks about 3 years ago, and although I haven't played in 15 months, I learned aspects of that game that should definitely carry over to real armored combat. The game is designed to be as realistic to real tank combat as possible when it comes to ballistics vs armor.

This seems like such an obvious concept, but prior to playing the game, I'd never considered it. When tank designers finally began designing angled tank armor, they were able to increase armor thickness, without increasing armor thickness...... Just by angling armor plate, you make it thicker when an armor piercing shell hits it straight on.

But during WW2, there were many tanks without angled armor. As I mentioned earlier, the WOT game mechanics are such that they effectively mimic ballistic reality, and angled armor is factored into the equation. For that reason, they recommend that a player should try to always angle the hull diagonally facing the enemy(with most tanks) to effectively increase the armor thickness and decrease odds of penetration with any AP, APCR, APCBC or even sabot rounds.

Those game mechanics would also work in real life, and would have benefited German tankers in Panzer IV and Tiger tanks. But it would also help any tank with flat plate. I've tried googling "do tank commanders angle their hull to increase armor thickness", and other searches, but I get nothing on this topic.
Some Sherman TCs would reverse into a hull down position with his turret trained rearwards so that he had all of his forward gears available when it's time to change FP.There's no reason why it could not be applied to any tank.
Perhaps you could game this on WoT.
The British Archer TD consisted of a rear facing 'fixed' 17 pdr on a Valentine chassis and was designed with the above tactic in mind.

The diagonal facing you mention would be useful but only if you were aware of in which direction the ATK threat was from, for instance; When appearing at a gap in a hedge or top end of an urban street, otherwise there is likely an ATK out on one flank or another, still worth trying though I don't think it was instilled in training, probably something the tanker picks up along the way.
Old 21 Oct 16, 07:01
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Indeed in both WW1 and 2 Casualties amongst British tank commanders appear to have been to a great extent due to their putting their head out of the hatch to access the tactical situation, despite continually repeated instructions not to do this. In WW1 a number of gallantry awards (some posthumous) were made to commanders who had dismounted and led their tank forward on foot.
Here's something that is blindingly obvious but has escaped my attention for years: British tankers were the only ones not to wear helmets or head protection out of all the main combatants of WW2, this simply must have added to the list of head injuries even through being bounced around inside the tank.
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:09
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Here's something that is blindingly obvious but has escaped my attention for years: British tankers were the only ones not to wear helmets or head protection out of all the main combatants of WW2, this simply must have added to the list of head injuries even through being bounced around inside the tank.
I'm afraid it was a common thing amongst the British forces in action not to wear protective head gear and the majority of commanders did not usually lean on it too much. I suppose you can place at least half of the blame on the stupid helmets! It was not as if there was a special helmet for them as far as I know, just imagine kicking those things around inside a tank. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:46
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I don't believe that the German crews wore helmets either. Just the oversized beret with a rubber ring.

[COLOR=Blue][I]Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:47
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Driver usually go where the TC tells them to go.

[COLOR=Blue][I]Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Old 21 Oct 16, 09:56
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Bunch of hard-heads ... just kidding you guys .
Old 21 Oct 16, 18:06
General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
I don't believe that the German crews wore helmets either. Just the oversized beret with a rubber ring.
I think that giant black beret they wore in the early war was padded inside but AFAIK they wore no protective headgear later on.
Old 21 Oct 16, 18:26
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
Details here:

Heer Panzer Crew Headgear
Old 21 Oct 16, 18:44
General of the Forums
England

Thumbs up

British tankies in Normandy were issued helmets, rimless ones, looked a bit like the type Dispatch riders wore.

And athwart the seas
Unquenchable forever.

Last edited by CarpeDiem; 22 Oct 16 at 08:41.. Reason: added spoiler tags
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Oct 16, 20:07
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Those remind me a bit of British Airborne helmets.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 21 Oct 16, 21:57
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Well getting my cranky old mind working I do remember some 'Tankers' wearing like DR head gear but most, (like us) just wore their berets. lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 22 Oct 16, 05:11
General of the Forums
England

Thumbs up

WWII MkII UK tanker's helmet...

And athwart the seas
Unquenchable forever.
Old 22 Oct 16, 05:46
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
I'm afraid it was a common thing amongst the British forces in action not to wear protective head gear and the majority of commanders did not usually lean on it too much. I suppose you can place at least half of the blame on the stupid helmets! It was not as if there was a special helmet for them as far as I know, just imagine kicking those things around inside a tank. lcm1
Attempts were made right at he beginning of tank warfare in 1916 to introduce special protective head gear for British tank crews but it never caught on. Tank crews wore ordinary brodies sometimes fitted with a mail veil to protect against bullet splash and spalling, non regulation head gear (including flying helmets nicked from the RFC) or nothing at all. Padding was sometimes stuck in place above observation slits etc.According to inter-war works on tanks I have seen an attempt was made in the 1920s to introduce a brodie with a much reduced brim (like a Blues Brothers' bowler) and fitting for a laryngiphone but the Tank Corps beret was preferred.
Old 22 Oct 16, 20:30
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
British tankies in Normandy were issued helmets, rimless ones, looked a bit like the type Dispatch riders wore.

Those guys watching the tanks go through are improperly dressed, they are wearing helmets!! lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!