StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 12 Oct 16, 19:32
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Hercules with a red and yellow tail

Driving home this evening from a trip to the shops down in the town a Hercules flew across the road in front of me. It was contour hugging and nothing new as I recognised it as the one that is used to support the SAS (who have their base about 18 miles away). They often seem to do insertion exercises in my vicinity, flying under the radar on Clee Hill and their very quiet helicopters have been doing night flights near my house for the last few nights. Their Hercules has the quietest engines on this type I've heard and it is in low viz colours. However to my surprise in this instance it was flying in company with another much less discrete Hercules - one with the tail and rear fuselage emblazoned in red and yellow stripes. Anyone know of an air force/ unit that uses aircraft in such colours?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Oct 16, 21:22
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up

Anything like this one? If so it's 47 Squadron markings for their centenary.

And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.

Last edited by Von Richter; 12 Oct 16 at 21:46..
Old 13 Oct 16, 06:15
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
That looks about right - thanks
Old 17 Oct 16, 04:53
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
That looks about right - thanks
Hi MV, I didn't have a clue but love to hear about these things! Where is the SAS stationed in the UK. Down in the West Country?

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 17 Oct 16, 06:57
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Hi MV, I didn't have a clue but love to hear about these things! Where is the SAS stationed in the UK. Down in the West Country?
Hereford in the Welsh Marches. Their training areas were once used by SOE and before that by the Auxiliary Patrol (the force intended for guerrilla warfare should Sealion have taken place) many of whose members went on to join SOE.

Last edited by MarkV; 17 Oct 16 at 07:03..
Old 17 Oct 16, 22:00
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Hereford in the Welsh Marches. Their training areas were once used by SOE and before that by the Auxiliary Patrol (the force intended for guerrilla warfare should Sealion have taken place) many of whose members went on to join SOE.
Well I'm damned, I spent a bit of time down that way during the war pre D Day did not know anything about the A/P mob though of course, or the SOE. Locality I mean. ) Cheers, lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 18 Oct 16, 06:11
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Well I'm damned, I spent a bit of time down that way during the war pre D Day did not know anything about the A/P mob though of course, or the SOE. Locality I mean. ) Cheers, lcm1
Very few living here knew anything about the A/P who were kept very secret. Not long ago one of their secret bunkers was discovered on Bromyard Downs (about 7 miles from where I live) and no one local had known it was there for over 70 years. I do an occasional talk on local history and when I mention that Eye Manor (about four miles away) was one of their HQs none of the real locals (I've only been here 14 years so don't count) had ever heard about it (including some who were living at the time).

Violette Szabo did her SOE training in the hills beyond Hereford and there is a small memorial there.
Old 18 Oct 16, 07:52
Australia

Quote:
Very few living here knew anything about the A/P who were kept very secret. Not long ago one of their secret bunkers was discovered on Bromyard Downs (about 7 miles from where I live) and no one local had known it was there for over 70 years. I do an occasional talk on local history and when I mention that Eye Manor (about four miles away) was one of their HQs none of the real locals (I've only been here 14 years so don't count) had ever heard about it (including some who were living at the time).

Violette Szabo did her SOE training in the hills beyond Hereford and there is a small memorial there.
You wouldn't bloody credit it would you!!! lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:06
Banned
United_States

chrishaiden66 is a balanced individual [0]
ohh superb...hercules with red and yellow tail.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!