StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 19 Aug 16, 14:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
W.W. Z game thread/orders

Okay, I have waited long enough, lets get this rolling for the ones that want to get started.

Its gonna be a bumpy ride...

Okay, maybe not that bad. In fact, our goal here is to be smarter than the people in the book or the movie were.

In fact, lets take this a side-step a little into another movie you may have heard of. It makes a cute Segway, thanks to Brad Pitt being in both of them;

Yeah, now we are on the right track.

What I want to see here are your orders for the 1st week; Sept 1-7 of year 1-Z. This will probably take a LONG time to resolve, so don't worry if you are late with this. I will PM everyone I don't hear from anyway to give you a reminder.

All I need is for you to use google earth and tell me what units are where and what they are up to.
That's really it.
Thanks to the magic of Google, I don't need coordinates or anything like that, just name something I can find such as a village, town, or landmark.

We will refer back to the other thread for rules and starting gear. It is still open, but use this one for your input and questions and especially your ORDERS.
If you want to set up a Social Group, that's fine, but I don't want a flood of PMs at this point. Since none of you are in conflict yet I don't see the need for it at this point.
Agreed?

Alright Gents, start sending me instructions, the deadline isn't even set yet, but first come, first served!
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
Blaming the Las Vegas massacre on gun owners is like blaming 9-11 on frequent fliers.

Last edited by The Exorcist; 19 Aug 16 at 21:24..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Aug 16, 20:53
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cowes will send a sailboat to St Malo with a small cargo as a token of our esteem. We will hope to make a treaty to exchange goods and munitions. We also have more abandoned sailboats than we could possibly use!

We will also send boats to Portsmouth and down the mainland coast to the East and West. We hope to start relations with the Isle of Man, Anglesy and the Channel Isles.

We will cross over to East Cowes and look for the Marauders we have heard about with 1st Company. We will then finish up with a run to the airfield.

The FT-17s in Cowes will start a patrol of the coastal areas behind the walls.

We will continue to work on the wall and organize a trip to the South for the second week.

Colonel Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 19 Aug 16, 22:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Okay, whoa, back up a sec here.... this is the sort of thing I wanted to get squared in the other thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Cowes will send a sailboat to St Malo with a small cargo as a token of our esteem. We will hope to make a treaty to exchange goods and munitions. We also have more abandoned sailboats than we could possibly use!
Okay, wait, there are two dozen in that museum (and damn, I REALLY wish I could visit there now!) and all of the ones I see pics for look awfully small.
And for abandoned ones, I need to get back to you on that. Any pivatly owned boats in a usable condition are going to be a fluke.... unless they are still crewed, and most likely that will mean a family that is still on board.
So yeah, a mixed blessing in every case.

Quote:
We will also send boats to Portsmouth and down the mainland coast to the East and West. We hope to start relations with the Isle of Man, Anglesy and the Channel Isles.
Hold up-
I can understand a small mission to visit your neighbors, but as I said you have chosen a BIG island for a reduced Battalion to take control of. In no way shape or form is it secured yet, or even properly inspected.
There are some lucky breaks awaiting you out there, but first you have to GO OUT THERE.

Full briefing below *

Quote:
We will cross over to East Cowes and look for the Marauders we have heard about with 1st Company. We will then finish up with a run to the airfield.
Okay, Ist Co, to East Cowes, that is something I can work with.

1600 Zombies are encountered in East Cowes, a relatively small number and easy to dispatch. Your men discover that the Zombies are attracted to the sounds of tanks rumbling down the road and came out of the buildings that your infantry was afraid they would have to clear, room by room.
They still had to, of course, and found 40 people forted up in the cathedral tower and 60 more in various other places.

You also found an intact Fire Engine, but that and your company and the people you found will be busy for another day in East Cowes, at least.
You didn't lose a man, nor was much ammo used; your crews preferred to form a line abreast in the streets and mash the Z's flat. However... they left a hell of a mess that really needs to be cleaned up if you intend to make this place habitable.
No joke.

Quote:
The FT-17s in Cowes will start a patrol of the coastal areas behind the walls.
Okay, a couple of things;

What wall?
You will have to detail some men and equipment to get that done. Can you draw me a line on the map to show me where it is, exactly? I will be curious to see what use you make of the terrain.

The FT-17s still run, but only about as well as 100 year-old machines can. The men inside what to "preserve their mobility", and that means moving around as little as possible when not threatened. It is a reasonable concern, but they also fret about road vs cross-country effects on the suspension, fuel leaks and on & on.
One good point is that they fear that their armor can't withstand modern ball ammunition. This would limit the ability of your infantry to clear them of Z's that could climb all over isolated tanks. SMGs would not be a problem, ju just don't have many of those (one per squad).

Quote:
We will continue to work on the wall and organize a trip to the South for the second week.

Colonel Pruitt
There are also 14 Power boats at that museum, a very mixed bag.
http://www.classicboatmuseum.org/Power.html
And you also have a collection of canoes and rowboats.... some of them look useful in combat, just not on the High Seas.

From where you are now-

South, towards the center of the island; a trickle of refugees come to you with tales of horror (natch) and it does appear that Newport is in chaos.
One of the survivors looks more like a Z than a man (and 2 hours later, he is!) reports that when the Prison was opened most of the men that came out were aleady Zombies, somehow.

East; Yes, reports of a marauder gang, one that plays music, there are also a lot of refugees running around, some appear to be VIPs, and much of Shanklin is in flames, or maybe Sandown, or both. There have been explosions, one of them you could hear from Cowes itself.

West; nothing. You have hardly heard a peep from that direction.
This morning, one old lady came from there on a moped, and just shook her head when a sentry tried to explain things. "Zombies? Are you daft?"
An hour ago she slipped away somehow, and you could see her in your field glasses from a mile away as she went zipping down Pallance road again, white hair streaming out behind her.

Hell of a day, innit'?
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
Blaming the Las Vegas massacre on gun owners is like blaming 9-11 on frequent fliers.

Last edited by The Exorcist; 19 Aug 16 at 22:40..
Old 19 Aug 16, 22:36
General of the Forums
United_States

Pruitt - your boats

There is a 100' yacht and a 110' bulk carrier that looks like it has seen better days .... in Newport. Put a pin in that for later on, I guess.

There were also a pair of 50' fishing boats there, they both left, supposedly for the Channel islands where they have family.

There is one 75' Sailing Yacht sitting in the Island Harbour Marina. It is the sort of boat you would need a trained crew to operate, so that is probably why it is still sitting there.

Thank your lucky stars; the Cowes Floating Bridge is still intact.

The only other boat of any note is a 175' x 30' ship that appears to be a fuel lighter, docked at the south end of East Cowes.

The rest of the boats here are under 50' and 18 of them are on dry land, awaiting rebuilding.

There are 83 other boats ranging from 18 to 48 feet, half have sails, and all have refugees aboard... total count; 750. Few have any food, none are armed with anything better than break-open shotguns or halberds.
Worse, a third of them are natives of Wight, Cowes even; "What have you done to my home?!"

Hey, you asked for it.
Good luck!
Old 22 Aug 16, 22:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Orders In.
Old 23 Aug 16, 00:20
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
Orders In.
Noted.
I have a vast array of results for you, I will have to post it all tomorrow.
Old 23 Aug 16, 22:42
General of the Forums
United_States

Okay, this is for TaC and his Legions. Orders were given privately but I am posting much of it here for the other players to see, just an FYI thing and for points of reference.

Starting in the North;
Phase line II is reached with ease, and they report killing a few hundred Zombies along the way. In the Police Station 20 cases of 9mm and half a dozen cases of rifle ammo were found. The commander reports that he could easily reach the final phase line, however his troops are nervous; there is a huge cemetery right in front of them, and it is cratered like a moonscape. The Machine Factory looks intact.

Phase line Zero was reached with some difficulty, and worse appears to be ahead of them; There is a hoards of several thousands milling around the train station, it is hard to tell how many as most of them are inside... as if they are waiting for a train.
In the open ground south of there, it is the same story, but at least they can get a good count of about 2,000. Neither horde is moving towards your lines.
The commander is asking for artillery support.

Phase like III was easy, the Zombies here had been under observation for some time and the operation went like clockwork.

Phase line IV is where things started to go wrong.
The Hospital is in remarkably good condition but will need a total disinfecting before it can be used.
At Rue Jean XXI and Boulevard Poree' your men are a block short of the line after 3 days of fighting. Some of the Z's inside the buildings took a short-cut out of the buildings by hurling themsevles off rooftops or out of windows. One landed inside a halftrack costing you 3 men, and 7 more have been lost as well.
Another problem is that La Cite, the peninsula on the other side of the Marina, is much more heavily infested than your observations indicated. The best your people can do is seal off the neck and hold it as best they can.
Everyone in this sector is asking for artillery support, all they can get.

Interesting news from Pointe du Moulinet-
Those two boats you sent trigged a rush. The jet-setters ran for the shore leaving their security men to hold the line alone. There was no stopping them, even after one of your men shot one old Aristocrat that was clubbing his own servants out of the way.
One boat capsized and is lost along with its crew, and the other was so badly banged up on the rocks that it will have to be hauled out of the water to be repaired... and that won't be easy, as it is beached at Plage du Mole now.

You lost 4 people for a net gain of 25 on the boat that made it back, plus ten more that swam for it and were plucked from the sea by yet another boat before they were swept out to the ocean. That means that an estimated 150 remained behind, and are now Zombies or just meals for them.

This is the interesting part;
One of the swimmers was a Security guard, young and fit and willing to join you. At about the same time that your boats arrived, one of the mansions caught fire, drawing the Zombies and agitating them for miles around. he reports that the numbers were roughly the same as a stadium he knows well, that has a capacity of 30,000.
The pre-Z population of the St. Malo area was 45,000.

You also hear that there is a chemical products plant over there that specializes in industrial and agricultural sanitary products. One of your refugees is the owner, now that her parents are dead.

Last edited by The Exorcist; 23 Aug 16 at 22:51..
Old 24 Aug 16, 22:46
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Legatus Augustus Daniel Kaiser makes landfall on the little island of Cezembre, he and his Triarii using small boats from St. Malo to make their journey.

Arriving, his men efficiently set a perimeter and they march up the beach, ready to confront any Zeds that show themselves. Instead, the crimson beret and eagle clad troops, their gear and weapons as uniform and polished as any in the Legions, see nearly a thousand refugees. Taking in the sight, he notes the lack of supplies, and that they wouldn't last through the first snowfall. Graciously Kaiser brings them into the fold of the Republic of Frankia, and begins integrating tehm into the jobs program and very fabric of the Republic.

Last edited by TacCovert4; 24 Aug 16 at 23:27..
Old 24 Aug 16, 23:12
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
Graciously Kaiser brings them into the fold of the Republic of Frankia, and begins integrating tehm into the jobs program and very fabric of the Republic.
You are close enough to shore that they can hear the rumble of the heavy guns, and all this Roman stuff is a little confusing to them... but at least somebody is doing something.
Overall, they are educated and reasonably useful, and you got very lucky in that some of them used to work and the Metal-working plant in town, and some Railroad men. But there are lots of others, friends and family of people that simply had a boat.
Some of them may be reluctant to leave their tents, until it gets colder.

I need your additional orders, to cover the next 3 days.

((This will probably be the last time I do a 1-week turn))
Old 24 Aug 16, 23:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
... We will send some Light Tanks out as well to the South. They will pass the word for people with Farm Machines and animals to head for Cowes.
Did you forget about that? Or my answer to it?

Lets keep this sort of thing on this thread from now on.

Your Recon platoon heads out (as I mentioned) and they decide to do a wide sweep around Newport. Those towering black clouds were a bit ominous, and rumors of Zombie concentrations there turned out to be true.

They went south-west first, and found intact farms and a good many people and animals there. Porchfield was untouched and Newtown was in such good shape that the people there didn't want to leave. From Shalfleet to Rowridge people were much more willing, and in such danger that they came willingly... at a walking pace with their herds. All but one of the Recon vehicles were needed to escort them, and they are having trouble keeping ahead of several hundred Z's when they reach your lines.
You now have a new problem; fodder for all the animals. The Golf Course helps, but in a couple of weeks you will need to reclaim a lot of pastureland.

The one vehicle that continued on was the armored car. That intrepid crew spent a couple of days out there, and passed south of Newport and went as far east as Brading before heading back. They saw many Zombies, and something remarkable.
They think they saw the 'marauders'.

Creeping along a hedgerow on the hills overlooking the town, they saw an incredible sight; a 40-piece marching band playing at full volume and moving along at a good pace while doing so!
They had attracted a large number of Zombies of course, hundreds of them, and managed to stay just ahead of them. Just a few paces ahead, but the time they reached the outskirts of the village.
That was when the ambush was sprung.
From all around the Zombies, short-ish men leapt from behind walls and out of houses and charged the tight horde of the undead. Few shots were fired, and some of those caused big puffs of white smoke. The main weapons employed were bayonets and a surprising number of swords and machete.
Every bandsman dropped his instrument and joined in with large, bent-bladed knives.

Your men estimated that there were about 200 of these men, and they demolished three times their number of Zombies in minutes without making enough noise to draw a chain-horde down on them. When they were done, they picked up their gear and went trotting away at the quick-time, towards the Bembridge fort.

The radio on the M-8 armored car failed at that moment, so they returned rather than trying to make contact. One of them did take a good picture;
One of the men shown is a tall white-haried fellow with a saber in one hand and a revolver in the other, wearing a uniform that looks as if it is older than the Boer War. The rest of them...

"Sir," the man who took the picture asks, "could those be Gurkhas?"
Who else carries Khukris, let alone uses them so well?

You still have a day left in your turn.
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Aug 16, 01:35
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Before my 1st Company leaves East Cowes we need to visit several business places and gather assets. We will hit the Osbourne Garage and load all the car parts, engines and hand tools we can get aboard. We will stop on the way back at the East Cowes Medical Center and raid their pharmacy and first aid supplies. We will hit the York Avenue Garage last. We are looking for wreckers and vehicles that can still run. Anybody wishing to join us (especially medical people) will be invited to go to the floating bridge and ride across to the Tokogawa Marex.

Down to the South we will attempt to raid the Wight Military and Heritage Museum. We will take the Recon Troop, Command Company and Halftracks of the 2nd Company. We also bring the Tractor Trailer to help drag heavy vehicles. We will load the hand weapons in the Museum and the motors and transmissions besides the vehicles. I think we will find the FV432 running but out of fuel. The 3/4 ton Dodge Truck will bring cans of fuel.

We will direct any refugees back to Cowes and any livestock back to Somerton Farm. We will send some civilians down to Isle of Wight Grain Storage inside our lines to get an idea how much grain is there in case we have to start feeding livestock. We will contact the neighboring farms to see how much grain they have on hand. We will ask them to bring in tractors and other farm equipment inside the lines for "safe" storage.

We will also ask that Leslie Motors employees go get their vehicles and spare parts and tools on their property South of the wall. We can use this place to start stripping cars for parts. As we go along I see us bringing more and more abandoned cars in.

I need to know how many riding horses and draft horses we have on hand. I want to start training a Yeoman Troop.

Colonel Pruitt, Royal Engineers, ret, MM

Last edited by Pruitt; 25 Aug 16 at 19:00..
Old 25 Aug 16, 18:58
France

For what it is worth, the article on the Classic Boat Museum says they had moved most of the collection to Cowes and the Gallery only holds displays, models and such. The article was over a year old.

Old 25 Aug 16, 21:37
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
For what it is worth, the article on the Classic Boat Museum says they had moved most of the collection to Cowes and the Gallery only holds displays, models and such. The article was over a year old.

Yeah, I know that too, I didn't want to over-complicate things and I didn't know that you were abandoning East Cowes.

Nothing about the post above?

I will get back to this when everyone is done. We still have a couple of people to get to, and they haven't made a move of any kind yet.

Hello?
Old 25 Aug 16, 23:16
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post
Yeah, I know that too, I didn't want to over-complicate things and I didn't know that you were abandoning East Cowes.

Nothing about the post above?

I will get back to this when everyone is done. We still have a couple of people to get to, and they haven't made a move of any kind yet.

Hello?
We don't have a way to defend East Cowes yet. We will evacuate everyone that wants to leave. Down the road we will build a defense line from Old Mill Pond West along Lushington Hill Road until we can run a line to the creek running into the Island Harbor Marina. That will give us East Cowes and most of Wooten Bridge. We also need to increase our number of troops. A Yeoman Troop is one way to get it. The Militia is a last resort in case we get hard by Zombies before we get a wall up. The more construction equipment we can group together the quicker we can build a wall. This will also enclose two more farms. We will enroll any volunteers for the Defense Force and any trained Sailors for the "Fleet".

Old 27 Aug 16, 01:22
France

I am also going to get my marine construction firms to start building some simple 20 foot wooden catamarans with Crab Claw sails. They are cheap, easy to build and easy to sail. We can use them with the Sea Scouts and the two Sailor Training Companies to train some younger sailors and retrain the weekend sailors we have here. That will increase the number of sailors and get us more sail craft to put in the water.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!