StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 12 Aug 16, 00:23
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Pictures of Civil War Locations

Hey so I finished my Civil War tour and decided that instead of just posting pics I'd create a thread where people can post pictures of any civil war locations they've visited. I'll start with some of my favorite pics from Appomattox Court House.

The courthouse. This is the courthouse that gave the town its name. It's famous for the picture of Union troops standing on the balcony and at the fence.

The old Lynchburg-Richmond pike. This is the view the Confederates had when they tried to break through the Union lines to the west of the town.

Flag of truce. I'f I'm remembering correctly, there were multiple flags sent between the lines, but I could be wrong. This is either the flag, or one of several.

Chamberlain-Gordon Salute. Union troops line this road while the Confederates marched into town to stack arms. This is the location where Chamberlain ordered his Union troops to salute the Confederates, and where Gordon ordered a salute in response.

Parole Pass. The Confederates were given these to identify themselves as paroled, which allowed them to return home and not be harassed by US authorities.

Lee's sword, a gift from a Marylander. This is Lee's famous dress sword that he wore to the negotiations with Grant.

Lee's general officer uniform, jacket and gauntlets. Lee wore a uniform with a Colonel's insignia throughout the war to signify the rank he held when he resigned from the US army. When he went to meet Grant, he donned his formal general officer's apparel.

Parlor of the McClean house. This is the room Grant and Lee sat in while negotiating the terms of surrender of Lee's army. This is one of my favorite places of the trip, it was so moving being here that it was the first spot I visited, and I came back twice before leaving the park. This room alone made the 6 hour drive worth the trip.

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Aug 16, 00:49
Colonel
United_States

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Lexington, VA

This route 60 over the Blue Ridge Mountains. I was the only car on the road heading westbound, which made for a fun Sunday evening drive.

Lexington is a beautiful, quaint, little town in rural Virginia. I would like to visit again.

Stonewall Jackson's grave

Virginia Military Institute. This is the view when you enter town from the north.

Parade ground of VMI

VMI has a museum which is mostly about the school, but it includes a Jackson exhibit. This is Little Sorrel, Jackson's war horse.

Jacksons forager cap. He wore this, brim pulled down to his brows, up until he adopted a new uniform shortly before the battle of Fredericksburg.

Snippet of the uniform Jackson was wearing when he was shot in the Wilderness.

Old 12 Aug 16, 00:51
Colonel
United_States

Lexington, VA, continued

Washington and Lee University

Lee's Chapel at W&L

Lee's tomb

Statue above Lee's tomb

I complimented the book store on their excellent book selection

Lee's necktie and cufflinks he wore as President of then Washington College

Lee's spyglass

Lee's office, almost precisely as he left it

The grave of Traveller, Lee's horse

Old 12 Aug 16, 01:25
Colonel
United_States

Moving on, reluctantly leaving Lexington, to Belle Grove and the Cedar Creek battlefield.

Belle Grove plantation, once owned by the Hite family of the Shenandoah Valley. It was used as Sheridas headquarters and the grounds were used as part of the Union camp.

Signal Knob is the highest peak shown in this picture. Confederate General Gordon climbed to the top to survey the Union position and plan the attack.

Ford where Confederate General Kershaw's troops crossed the Shenandoah River

Road the Confederates used to approach the Union camp

The Union troops held this ridge when they were first attacked. If you look down the road to the right, you can see the intersection with the road the Confederates used to advance

The Miller house. Confederate General Early ordered his troops to halt at this road, at which stood a stone wall, after a successful morning attack. They waited here until the Union troops rallied and counterattacked

This is the same road, with the Miller house in the distance

The Union troops rallied around the road on which I'm standing. The Confederate line is distant some few hundred yards

This is route 11, which Sheridan used to famously ride from Winchester to the battlefield. This is looking south from the Union position to that of the Confederates

The sign explains a lot. The road to the right is route 11, and the perpendicular line to my front is where the Confederates were positioned

I saved this pic for last because it's one of my favorite stops on my trip. In the morning the Union troops made a stand in this cemetery which stands on a hill; on the ridge in the distance you can see white buildings-the Confederates posted artillery there to assault this spot.

The dark blue mountains are the Massanuttens; the light blue are the Blue Ridge. Between them lays the town of Front Royal, and on the side of the Massanuttens nearer me lays the town of Strasburg. In Jackson's Valley campaign, he emerged from between the two mountain ranges and took Front Royal, which forced Union General Banks to evacuate Strasburg and march to Winchester, some 20 miles to my left. Jackson determined to intercept his march and attacked the Union troops as they marched through the town of Middletown, where those white buildings are. Jackson captured Banks' wagon train and earned the nickname "The Wagon Hunter"

Old 12 Aug 16, 07:46
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200] B7B Southern is walking in the light [200]
Nice job. Good pics.

Marshall
Old 12 Aug 16, 08:57
Captain
United_States

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Nice Pixs..I remember years ago visiting Lee's tomb and remember the room filled with numerous battle flags of the Army of Northern Virginia hanging..Have they been removed for P.C....??
Old 12 Aug 16, 09:07
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Excellent, beautiful area. Looks like you didn't have the best weather.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'

Last edited by Half Pint John; 13 Aug 16 at 06:38..
Old 12 Aug 16, 11:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Nice pics and excellent descriptions .

Old 12 Aug 16, 13:04
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Holliday View Post
Nice Pixs..I remember years ago visiting Lee's tomb and remember the room filled with numerous battle flags of the Army of Northern Virginia hanging..Have they been removed for P.C....??
I don't know if for PC, but they weren't there. I try not to think of PC, northeastern liberals would burn the whole South down over slavery. It's sad really.
Old 12 Aug 16, 13:33
Captain
United_States

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American87 View Post
I don't know if for PC, but they weren't there. I try not to think of PC, northeastern liberals would burn the whole South down over slavery. It's sad really.
Ill find one they we took and post it here, if you dont mind...It will be a scan....(Film !!!)
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Aug 16, 16:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
Great pics. I lived in Lexington for 3 years and miss it greatly.
Old 13 Aug 16, 00:22
Colonel
United_States

Ok I'm gonna finish up my pics from the trip, I stopped last night because it was getting late and I wanted time to read.

Winchester, VA

Winchester is a nice small town, but after Lexington I wasn't as impressed. It does have a lot of history, from Washington to the Civil War, and was the site of three battles during the later war. Historic Winchester is restricted to pedestrians, and has some shops, restaurants, and some of the best ice cream I've ever had-at the Red Fox Creamery I believe it was called.

Jacksons Headquarters. Jackson made this house his headquarters while he was in command of the Valley District during the winter of '61-'62.

First Battle of Winchester. Jackson advanced up this road to attack Banks' position.

Third Winchester. This is the far left of the Confederate line, where the cavalry's horse artillery was engaged.

Red Bud Creek. Union troops crossed this boggy creak, under a withering fire, to attack the Confederate flank.

"The Second Woods". This is looking north from the Confederate positon to that of the Union. Red Bud Creek is to my left. The Confederate line was broken here, and was restored by the prompt action of Division commanders Gordon and Rhodes. Rhodes was killed somewhere in this area.

Old 13 Aug 16, 00:48
Colonel
United_States

Harper's Ferry

Bolivar Heights. I'm standing on Bolivar heights, on which Jackson drilled the Stonewall Brigade early in the war, and which Sheridan later fortified with earthworks when he took command in the Valley. During Jacksons siege of Harper's Ferry, he posted part of his line on the ridge in the distance, Schoolhouse Ridge.

Sheridan's earthworks on the crest of the heights

View from Bolivar Heights. On the left is Maryland Heights, and on the right is Loudon Heights. Between them is the town of Harper's Ferry and the convergence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers.

Harper's Ferry is truly an experience. Besides all the history, the old town is entirely preserved by the National Park Service, and all the old buildings house either museums, gift shops, or restaurants.

Site of pontoon bridge. During Jackson's siege, Union cavalry escaped by a pontoon bridge at this site and conducted the first successful Union cavalry raid, at least in the Eastern theater.

The Convergence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers

John Brown's Raid. This is the fire-engine house John Brown seized during his raid on Harper's Ferry.

The grey monument in front of me is the original site of the fire-engine house. To my left is the building in its new location.

Old 13 Aug 16, 01:15
Colonel
United_States

Gettysburg, PA

Day 1:

The famous Gettysburg Seminary

Opening of the battle. I'm standing next to the Chambersburg Rd, looking west from the Union position.

Anyone who hasn't been to Gettysburg needs to get there now. This is one of the many, and I mean many, monuments in the park. It's of Union General John Reynolds, a native of Pennsylvania, who was killed in the first day's fight. It's located where the battle opened.

View of the Seminary from the Chambersburg Rd

Railroad cut to the north of the Chambersburg Rd. This geographic feature was site of some of the toughest fighting of the first day

Union Left. The white barn to my left is McPherson's Farm, which marks the site of the battle's opening. The Union front was parallel to the railing in front of me, but located at the farm.

This is Barlow Knoll, to the north of town. The Union troops made a tough stand here until Confederate General Ewell drove them through the town to Cemetery Hill and Culp's Hill.

Fighting ensued through the town

Old 13 Aug 16, 01:38
Colonel
United_States

Day 2:

Lee's Headquarters, undergoing renovation

View from the observation deck on Culp's Hill. Confederate troops attacked from the field below

The Union troops counterattacked in this direction when the Confederates took part of Culp's Hill. I'm not sure exactly where this is on the hill

Looking south down Seminary Ridge. That's Big Round Top on the left.

The Peach Orchard

The Wheatfield. Not the best pic, since I took more thorough ones during a previous trip.

View from Little Round Top. The clearing I'm pointing at is where the Alabamians formed to attack LRT

View of Little Round Top from Devil's Den

Position of the 20th Maine. The 20th Maine was posted along this ridge looking down towards the approaching Confederates

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!