StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 08 Jul 16, 06:10
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Grind for the Mikasa (World of Warships)

Since I have never tried to Youtube (and since I basically suck at this game) I thought I would keep a brief diary in the forums of my try to meet this months challenge in World of Warships (just WOW for short).

There were basically four missions to perform before the 1st of August. Each of them gives rewards for completion. The reward for finishing the last mission is the tier two premium battleship the IJN Mikasa. They must be completed in sequence and each requires sinking an increasing number of ships (10, 20, 40, 50). I am in the process of finishing the second mission now. Really I'm just getting started with it. I can sink these ships in any type of game except Co-op games against the AI.

It looks like I'll have to sink about 5 ships a day to make it. There are two reasons it is unlikely I can complete all 3 of the remaining missions. First I will not be able to play every day. Second as I mentioned earlier I basically suck.

I plan on playing most of the games in random battles until the end of the month There are just more players in those games to potentially sink.

I'll mostly be using battleships and destroyers. I also have The USS Cleveland (but she is optimized for AA not ship killing) and The IJN Furutaka to use as cruisers.

I currently have available the destroyers USS Clemson and IJN Minikaze and the battleships USS Wyoming, IJN Haruna, IJN Kirishima and the IJN Myogi.

I also have the carrier USS Langley but I'm am currently enjoying a high win percentage with her and I am reluctant to risk letting the desire for a kill distracting me from optimal team play when using that ship. I'm sure I'll play her but not often until the time runs out on these missions.

Like any diary I should try to post every day so I'll update you later to day.

Last edited by Widow Maker; 08 Jul 16 at 06:20..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Jul 16, 12:21
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
I decided to start off today with the USS Wyoming to be a little safer while I get in game mode. My goal is to sink at least 5 ships in games today. I have gotten 6 or the 20 sinkings needed for the July 4 “Freedom” Mission. I have already complete the July 1st Canadian Independence day Freedom mission
USS Wyoming 12X 12 inch guns. 6X 127mm guns.
13-305mm armor and 43,800 hit points
20.5 knot speed with a 590 meter turning circle and a 12.7 second rudder shift time.

All my posts will not be this long. More daily summeries than battle logs.
Well the first game went well enough and I got a win and a kill. The potential was there for 1-3 additional kills. A Phoenix class cruiser on the enemy team ran aground in front of me but my turrets were pointed to port (Left)and slightly to the rear. It took me 25 seconds to rotate the guns to try to nail him. In the meantime his team and fires I had raging finished me off. A team mate eliminated a battleship right before I could fire on it and I let another potential killing salvo slip when I engaged an enemy destroyer that was moving into torpedo range of teammates (my team mates had the other ship easily on the ropes). I hate using battleship guns against destroyers. I got three hits out of my forward guns on the destroyer but I had AP (armored piercing rounds) loaded and they did minimal damage since they passed right threw him without detonating. It still distracted him and hurt him enough that supporting ships finished him quickly.

We won the game by sinking all of their ships. We also had ships in their base area and would have won that way in the time left (max game time 20 minutes).

Great teamwork by my team. Our opening set-up (spawn) had all our cruisers in the west and 4 of our 5 DD’s in the east. I spawned in the east and very advanced so I followed the DD’s closely. Our DD’s dominated the enemy DD’s quickly killing the one in a position to launch torpedoes at me and keeping the others away from me. With me and the destroyers closing the western approaches most of the enemy team pushed into the center of the map. Their BB’s concentrated their fire on the three lonely BB’s we had in the center in front of our base area. This let me safely turn my broadside to them and use all guns. Their cruisers and their last DD coming from the west forced me to dodge five volleys of torpedoes. I did eventually catch two of them. That and harassing fire eventually ground me down right before game end.

A great team. I finished in the middle of the points on my team. I did take myself out of the fight for a bit when I dodged behind an island to get away from a wave of torps. Ever see a battleship dance the Hula?
Old 08 Jul 16, 14:37
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Next two games mixed a gunnery kill against another Minikaze and where I had two ships that my torpedoes were about to sink a ship that was finished by other team mates. There was a USS St Louis that died right before my shells landed but that’s okay it would have been a pure kill steal if I had got it. Did good work that game spotting, distracting and steering enemy battleships by threatening them. Sank an enemy Minikaze by gunfire. Never landed a torp on an enemy ship that was not already sinking
The 3rd game of the day was a bad one for me and my team. I chased and spotted two enemy destroyers and the cruiser IJN landed no torpedoes and very few shells. I shot like crap all around even tho I give myself perks for area control and spotting we took forever to kill two of the three ships in the area. Me and most of my battleships were removed from the fight while the bulk of the enemy team eliminated our comrades. Now outnumbered we perished pretty quickly rushing back to defend our base. I was last to die dodging desperately while the game ended with a tight wave of my torps headed into a fur-ball of enemy ships mostly slow and unable to maneuver because of crowding. Might not have sunk anything but could have at least got some consolation punches. BOTTOM LINE: two games with no torp hits from Minikaze. Did survive or die last tho and stayed in the midst of enemy most of both games. (I usually manage to die as destroyers.) GAME ENDS WHEN VICTORY CONDITIONS ARE MET ANY SHELLS OR TORPS ON THE WAY ARE VOIDED!

Two beers and politics with my brother-in-law. Let’s see how that affects my concentration.

Results so far today 2 wins 1 loss and 2 kills. Need three more to keep pace.
Old 08 Jul 16, 21:59
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Well dang! Local server issues caused a late start for me. This happened very rarely in earlier patches but twice today. I really think the prob is local issues.

But when I showed up the whole team was running the southwest edge except for DD mid and one to the east. The particular game had a base for each team centered north and south.

I apologized if I was critical of my team from the last game. If we had played well we could had time to react (most of us). This game was an extreme throw. Coming in late (but still early in game) I saw the DD to the east faced with a large force (at least three DD’s and two Kuma class CL’s) pushing him. I so wish I had remembered his login name to honor him in this forums and WOW’s. It did not appear that he had landed any torps but he had done significant damage to at least 3 of the 5 ships.

Even very early this game was an obvious loss that I saw at spawn. Knowing that the honorable thing to do was to go help the only two poor, outnumbered destroyers who were trying win or team play. (Okay the fact that my best chance of getting a kill and points was in that direction has nothing to do with it. I pink swear.) ((Seriously the fact that it was the best team move meant nothing. That dude was doing work I am so ashamed I did not his user name. And he did not rage about it. I went to help him.))
He was in full retreat. I would expect that as he had launched and failed with torp attacks but had damaged at least three ships with guns. Using guns make you easier to spot. He was well spotted and being chased by three destroyers.
I was again using the Minikaze and I can fire torps before I am spotted on most occasions. BUT by coincidence or design our opponents were in a curved formation moving in multiple directions. I got spotted. So I started shooting.
As a general note if you have a ship “fixed” in your target reticle it either keeps your shot dispersion smaller Designating a ship like that will also give you a plot for where to launch torpedoes in there path. Of course they could always speed up or slow down. And you can select narrow or wide spreads.

The Minikaze I was using can fire two sets of two very potent torps out to 7km. If you are positioned correctly there is a 3rd set of two you can launch. It often seems that you have to turn to get that 3rd set out. The slightly different launch point can be a plus or a minus.
I hit a Kuma class CL with a torp. The damage I did was not enough to sink her but the friendly destroyed who had been holding the line had managed to do a very small amout of damage and start a fire. The Kuma had obviously put his damage control folks to fighting the fires (in game terms he used a repair function that all ships have a variable number of and that have a cool down time before they can be used again. I managed to cause flooding with my torp hit and the Kuma and he could not address it since his repair crews were busy. Ships will slowly fix fires and flooding without using the “consumables” but it is slow and you take damage over time while it goes unchecked. There are commander skills and other options you can select to speed repairs if you do not focus on offensive options.
In this case his crew stopped the flooding after torp/flooding damage of close to 23300 damage. I know my team mate did some damage with shells and fires before the Kuma used his repair option. The max hit points a Kuma has is 24200 so it was very close to a kill for me.

At this point as a destroyer I had two consumables I could use. A short term speed boost and a smoke screen. I popped smoke. Not good for me. I could hide in it and shoot at anyone outside of it that other team mates could see (perfect commo). But smoke screens tend to draw torpedo fire and there were at least 5 enemy ships capable of firing torps into it. So I needed to abandon the screen for my own sake. So I hit my speed boost and ran like hell trying to be erratic and wiggly as I tried to open range.
On the plus side my smoke cloud and actions did allow my partner to break contact and set up to defend our base out of sight. I unfortunately was unable to ever completely break contact. The Minikaze is not a gunboat she is a torpedo boat. I did manage to land 5 hits which since I was shooting at DD’s and the tin can Kuma light cruisers let me put a temporarily disable the steering on two of them and the engine on another. Slow and delay but to no ultimate purpose.

Could I have done better …… maybe. I wound up 3rd on my team for points in spite of barely being in the game. And I got to watch the tail end of a team mate playing his ass off against great odds. I have to wonder what I missed. I did miss getting his game name I would sure post it here and in the WOW forum.

Boo Hoo daily results 2 wins....2 losses.... two sinkings.

Wah
Old 08 Jul 16, 22:17
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
I visited the Mikasa when I was in Japan with the USN. Very impressive then, and I heard they've upgraded the site.
Old 09 Jul 16, 00:44
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I visited the Mikasa when I was in Japan with the USN. Very impressive then, and I heard they've upgraded the site.
I have only seen pictures. When I was in the service I was only passing through Japan the couple of times I landed there.

When Japan bought the Mikasa from a company in the UN she was considerder the best battleship in te world. There was some outcry in Engleand about why the UK should sell such a ship to another country even an ally (as Japan was with the UK at the time). Of course te UK used the research and experience from building her to advance their own warship programs even faster.

The Mikasa was a tough old girl and gave hard servivice in the Russo-Japanese war.
Old 10 Jul 16, 21:24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

I traveled to a 100th Annual Family reunion and the activities kept e away from gaming and the internet. For most of the 9th and today on the 10th until I returned home I could not access the ACG forums. Did anyone else have problems.

To close out the 8th I was only able to sink one additional ship. I finished the day with one more. I played a couple of games with my only tier 6 ship the USS Cleveland. I was shocked when there were actually carriers in the games. That just has not been happening much lately. The bombers mostly tried to avoid the Cleveland's high level of AA but by moving towards the Myogi and Kawachi class battleships who lacked any real AA defenses I did manage to shoot down 16-17 planes and hopefully weaken or disrupt air attacks against them. At the end of the day I lost one more game than I won.

On the night of the 9th and morning of the 10th I exclusively played the USS Wyoming I had a lot of games with two ship kills and only lost one game. One of my best days ever. The great win rate was even better since I was a high finisher on my team even if eliminated before the conclusion of the game. Of course I had so mistakes but I felt good about most of the play this morning. A lot of carriers in play for some reason. Not to much of a problem for me since the Wyoming has a respectable AA suite for its level. The are a were a lot of battleships in play since wargaming.co. is running a short event giving experience or credit rewards for success in using or sinking battleships.

I tried to Engage any cruisers that were engaging friendly destroyers. Other than that my priority was the most vulnerable enemy BB in range or whoever we were putting a group focus on to get a quick kill.

The Wyoming like a lot of lower tier US battleships has a tight turning circle. How long it takes the rudder to really get grip and start the turn can be a different thing sometimes. Bottom-line is the Wyoming is pretty nimble if you start early enough. I dodged a lot of torpedoes. I might just try yo keep up with dive bombers on the mini-map but when torpedo planes get close I frequently take my eyes off the binoculars and try to get a hard visual on their release point. This give extra time to make your evasive maneuvers whether it is turning (which way?) slowing or both.

I'm actually still on a pace to get the Mikasa. Better than I expected from this weekend.

I need to try activating the replay feature and see if my low performance computer can support it without degrading play. I will keep better track of the game actions and the actual numbers of games and wins by ships.
Old 15 Jul 16, 14:07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

These notes actually occurred before my post #4. I thought they were included at the start.

Next two games mixed a gunnery kill against another Minikaze and had two ships where my torpedoes were seconds from sinking a ship when team mates landed finishing shots. There was a USS St Louis that died right before my shells landed but that’s okay it would have been a pure kill steal if I had got it. Did good work that game spotting, distracting and steering enemy battleships by threatening them. Sank an enemy Minikaze by gunfire. Never landed a torp on an enemy ship that was not already sinking but landed multiple torps on sinking ships. That gives no credit .I often switch fire from ships my team mates can easily finish to keep from wasting time and ammo. Three or four ships firing full salvos or long cool down torpedoes at a vessel at near zero health is a waste when there are other targets around. This lates I usually pay little attention to getting the last shot and kill credit. As long as the team sinks him all is good. These missions to get the Mikasa however require me to get the last blow and actual hit that finished the enemy.
The 3rd game of the day was a bad one for me and my team. I chased and spotted two enemy destroyers and the cruiser IJN landed no torpedoes and very few shells. I shot like crap all around even tho I give myself perks for area control and spotting we took forever to kill two of the three ships in the area. Me and most of my battleships were removed from the fight where the bulk of the enemy team eliminated our comrades. Now outnumbered we perished pretty quickly rushing back to defend our base. I was last to die dodging desparately while the game ended with a tight wave of my torps headed into a furball of enemy ships mostly slow and unable to maneuver because of crowding. Might not have sunk anything but could have at least got some consolation punches. BOTTOM LINE: two games with no torp hits from Minikaze. Did survive or die last tho and stayed in the midst of enemy most of both games. (I usually manage to die as destroyers.)
Two beers and politics with my brother-in-law. Let’s see how that affects my concentration.
Old 15 Jul 16, 14:18
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

I know I am running behind. but I have some notes and largely completed posts saved. I'll try to post multiple days at once or two posts a day to catch up.

Of course I suppose there is no harm if the event finishes before my posts catch up.

There is a replay feature but I am reluctant to waste games to see if it has a negative impact on my performance. My computer it at the very limit for running this game.

But I feel like I owe you guys some. Check out the Youtubes. I recommend Notser, The Mighty Jingles and Flammu for information. There are some other good you-tubers some of them are more excitement than info and some have audio issues. There is however a large number of replays with commentary available.
Old 27 Jul 16, 20:52
Captain
United_States

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
I got most of my kill with the tier 2 japanese DD. And the german Emden.

Oh and finished my grind on the 18th. And I dont play that much due.

Old 28 Jul 16, 01:33
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I got most of my kill with the tier 2 japanese DD. And the german Emden.

Oh and finished my grind on the 18th. And I dont play that much due.
Oh my gosh Sirdano's radio transmission seems interrupted. I hope he was not torpedoed.

It is nice to see one of the old World of Warship posters from this forum pop up. I had wondered if you DaemonofDecay, Arthwys, Craven, and jonny87kz were still interested in the game. I wish I had joined you guys in Beta but I was concerned my system could not cope. Daemon tried to assure me but it took 9 months to assure myself the long download was worth a maybe. At least this download saves any progress so if you are interrupted you start back where you left off all games don't do that. I have far less issues running this game than I have had with any other MMO. (Shameless plug to encourage others) ((but true)).
Old 28 Jul 16, 01:43
Captain
United_States

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
Oh my gosh Sirdano's radio transmission seems interrupted. I hope he was not torpedoed.

It is nice to see one of the old World of Warship posters from this forum pop up. I had wondered if you DaemonofDecay, Arthwys, Craven, and jonny87kz were still interested in the game. I wish I had joined you guys in Beta but I was concerned my system could not cope. Daemon tried to assure me but it took 9 months to assure myself the long download was worth a maybe. At least this download saves any progress so if you are interrupted you start back where you left off all games don't do that. I have far less issues running this game than I have had with any other MMO. (Shameless plug to encourage others) ((but true)).
This is the only game i play in my spare time. cant wait for the germans next month

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!