StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 08 Jul 16, 04:52
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Bonus for New Players in World of Warships

New players starting out in World of Warships will be gifted two Premium warships if they refer to another player when starting their account.

Don't worry if you don't know any WOW players use can use my referral link

http://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/mwwzr0G

Yes I will get some extra credits and signal flags to use for small in game perks if any of you stick around till you reach tier 6. I get this "treasure chest" three times so if several of you want to take advantage of this offer we could contact other forum members who play the game and share the wealth.

This offer is shown in the news items in the company's website at
Worldofwarships.com.

The two warships new players get are the tier two Imperial Russian cruiser Diana (which you get after completing one game) and the tier five USS Texas (Which you get after completing a game in a tier 6 ship. Premium ships give bonus experience when played and come with free port slots.

The Diana is slow but she is tougher and packs a heavier punch than the other cruisers available at tier two and you get her almost immediately.

If any of you have teething problems starting out or have questions about the game you can PM me or post on this thread (even if you don't take advantage of the referral offer).

I get nothing for the referral but I do get perks if you reach tier six with any ship and play it in a game.

So good luck, good hunting and have fun.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Jul 16, 14:45
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
There was talk about forming divisions or teams with forum members for this game. How has that gone. Any of you guys care to share your exploits. I probably play to poorly to participate accept as an emergency substitute but it is still a good idea if we can float it. Maybe a varsity and a junior varsity group.
Old 08 Jul 16, 14:46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

I don't consider this MY thread any other WOW players feel free to chime in.

I would point out that most forum members playing this seem to prefer it to world of tanks.
Old 18 Jul 16, 16:43
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
The aircraft carriers with their torpedo bombers are ruining this game.
Old 19 Jul 16, 00:09
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
The aircraft carriers with their torpedo bombers are ruining this game.
You almost never see them in ranked games. They become increasingly rare after tier 5 because the game is so hard for them.

I made the mistake of optimizing my tier 6 USS Cleveland for anti-air. The is almost never a carrier in my tier 6 games to use it.

Unless you are attacked by multiple torpedo squadrons you can often dodge air dropped torpedoes. The recon ability of carriers often worries more than their attacks.

Of course I did have good success with low level carriers. Ships with weak AA should run with other ships for mutual protection. Traveling in groups is a good idea anyway.

I find destroyers and their ability to repeatedly reload torpedoes to be a biger pain the the butt.
Old 21 Jul 16, 08:18
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
You almost never see them in ranked games. They become increasingly rare after tier 5 because the game is so hard for them.

I made the mistake of optimizing my tier 6 USS Cleveland for anti-air. The is almost never a carrier in my tier 6 games to use it.

Unless you are attacked by multiple torpedo squadrons you can often dodge air dropped torpedoes. The recon ability of carriers often worries more than their attacks.

Of course I did have good success with low level carriers. Ships with weak AA should run with other ships for mutual protection. Traveling in groups is a good idea anyway.

I find destroyers and their ability to repeatedly reload torpedoes to be a biger pain the the butt.
I only have a tier 4 battleship. And a tier 3 destroyer. I recently restarted playing and the destroyer seems to be a lot more fun. I'm not sure whether to continue keep the XP for an upgrade to tier 5 battleship or to use some of it to research my first aircraft carrier.
Old 24 Jul 16, 16:03
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
I only have a tier 4 battleship. And a tier 3 destroyer. I recently restarted playing and the destroyer seems to be a lot more fun. I'm not sure whether to continue keep the XP for an upgrade to tier 5 battleship or to use some of it to research my first aircraft carrier.
I still only the USS Cleveland and the recently bought USS New Mexico as tier six ships. Destroyers are fun and I had expected to be playing them more.

Carrier play is different but I found it interesting enough at tier 4-5. It seems that most players abandon it now during and after the mid levels. AA is just so strong. It might be worth running carriers for a bit so you have a better feel for their strengths and limitations. Also if you are happy with your tier 4 battleship buying a carrier first to try it out will let you run it longer and develop your skills before getting a tier 5 ship. Remember once you get a tier 5 ship you will start running into tier 7 enemies.

Plus you will have to tie up a port slot for a tier 4 ship and continue to play that ship to earn the carrier later or use the more rare free experience to get the carrier later.

Of course if I disliked the IJN Myogi and might skip the carrier until later just to get to the Kongo. I won the Haruna and Kirishima in the last contest they had that offered ship prizes. They are just fully upgraded Kongo's with full camo and permanent ship slots. But I never liked the Myogi. It all depends on how much you like the Myogi (if that's the one you are about to upgrade)

The fastest way to higher tiers is to pick a favorite class of ship from a single country and run it almost exclusively. I don't recommend that.

If you did not play as a Beta tester (I did not) then it is worthwhile building up play experience. (If you see a USS ArkansasB for instance that is a person who played a certain amount of Beta test games. The ship is not overly powerful but the player knows the game and can probably shoot a bit better than you.

Last edited by Widow Maker; 24 Jul 16 at 16:19..
Old 24 Jul 16, 16:27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Which BB are you looking to upgrade? What are your favorite ships so far.

At lower levels it seems like you leave ships behind so fast (of course I remember it seemed so long to get to tier 4 and 5 at the time).

Did you get the free Dianna by using somebody's referral link or have you been plaing longer than that. Premium ships are not always the best ships in their tier but I believe the Dianna is the best tier II cruiser. Certainly she is better than the other Russian tier II cruiser Novik.
Old 24 Jul 16, 16:31
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Oh and I have to mention older players that not played in three months or more are also eligible to get the Dianna by using someone's referral link. I don't think the person providing the link gets any reward for that if the returning player is already tier VI or higher but the returning player gets the Dianna.
Old 25 Jul 16, 09:18
General of the Forums
Romania

Quote:
Which BB are you looking to upgrade? What are your favorite ships so far.

At lower levels it seems like you leave ships behind so fast (of course I remember it seemed so long to get to tier 4 and 5 at the time).

Did you get the free Dianna by using somebody's referral link or have you been plaing longer than that. Premium ships are not always the best ships in their tier but I believe the Dianna is the best tier II cruiser. Certainly she is better than the other Russian tier II cruiser Novik.
Now I have the Hosho tier IV Japanese carrier.
And I've also researched and bought the American tier IV destroyer.
And I'll continue up the Japanese BB tech tree once I get the necessary XP.

One problem I have is that the battle loads pretty slowly for me. Don't know why. My graphic options are all set on low and my bandwidth is not a problem AFAIK. Could be server problems?

No, didn't get the Dianna and haven't used any referral links. Yes, I hadn't played in more than three months AFAIR, but now that I've restarted playing without using a referral link doesn't that make me inelligible for the Dianna?
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Jul 16, 16:29
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Now I have the Hosho tier IV Japanese carrier.
And I've also researched and bought the American tier IV destroyer.
And I'll continue up the Japanese BB tech tree once I get the necessary XP.

One problem I have is that the battle loads pretty slowly for me. Don't know why. My graphic options are all set on low and my bandwidth is not a problem AFAIK. Could be server problems?

No, didn't get the Dianna and haven't used any referral links. Yes, I hadn't played in more than three months AFAIR, but now that I've restarted playing without using a referral link doesn't that make me inelligible for the Dianna?
Yes I'm pretty sure that was a bonus for new players and long inactive players so no Dianna for you I guess.

Your Tier IV Myogi is okay. She is fast and takes a lot of damage for her tier. You will really love the Kongo at tier 5. Those ships are sweet with their long ranged guns and speed. They also take a lot of damage. I have been very successful against each of these Japanese battle ship classes using both tier 4 (Wyoming) and tier 5 (New York) American battleships.

The Myogi is at a disadvantage when closing bow on with the US BB's 33% of Myogi's fire power versus 40-60% of her opponents. If they are dumb enough to chase you the advantage shifts to you. With both the Myogi and the Kongo's you need to be able to hit the long range shots and use your speed for positioning. The faster Japanese ships can swing the game by being able to reach important fights or objectives while the US ships are still chugging along at 60-70% of their opponents speed. But missing a shot hurts the Japanese more than the American BB's they have more if smaller guns. They are also smaller targets and a bit more nimble at turning even if they are slow so..... the closer they get, the more potential they gain.

I realize you probably know all of this and a lot of it is just the impression I get and what has worked to me. I include this for any newer (than us) players or those who have not started playing yet.

The Myogi and the Kongo class because or their speed and range are better suited to work the edges of the play area and possibly recover and return to more relevant locations. US BB's at this these tier risk removing themselves from the action permanently or for longer periods. The Japanese BB's (at these tiers) since they don't have to commit as deeply don't have to rely as heavily on the strangers who usually make up your team mates. If a situation is bad they can more easily escape it.

What has you experience been with the Myogi? Have you played any US BB's.
Old 25 Jul 16, 19:39
General of the Forums
Romania

Quote:
I realize you probably know all of this and a lot of it is just the impression I get and what has worked to me. I include this for any newer (than us) players or those who have not started playing yet.
No, I didn't know all of that and I really appreciate your analysis. Since I've only played 1 type of battleships and only recently resumed playing, I'm not at all that familiar with the strong and weak points of the BBs of the whole tech tree.

But I did notice the speed when I fought a US battleship from close range. I would have done a full 360* around it if it weren't for its already lower HP.

Quote:
The Myogi and the Kongo class because or their speed and range are better suited to work the edges of the play area and possibly recover and return to more relevant locations.
Noticed this too. Some players were blaming me not getting into the fight or chasing the enemy CV, but I was targeting enemy BBs halfway across the map.

Quote:
What has you experience been with the Myogi? Have you played any US BB's.
I haven't played US BBs. What's your opinion on the USS Texas premium? Have one/met one in battle?

For the time being I play Myogi only when the DD and CV are lost in battle. I did 83,000 damage with my CV in a battle today.
Old 25 Jul 16, 22:31
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:

I haven't played US BBs. What's your opinion on the USS Texas premium? Have one/met one in battle?
I do not own the Texas but have sailed with them or against them several times. The Texas is a sister ship of the USS New York Armor and guns are identical but she seems to be about a half knot slower.

The important thing to remember about her is that the Texas has significantly better AA than the NewYork. Your tier IV planes can bomb the Texas but expect extra casualties to do it.

For ship to ship fighting I treat her just like I would another New York. Of course anytime I face someone in a premium ship I try to remember that they are more likely to have invested in improved damage control or repair parties. If they have done that then their repair cool downs drop from 120 seconds to 80 seconds.

Quote:
For the time being I play Myogi only when the DD and CV are lost in battle. I did 83,000 damage with my CV in a battle today.
Yes you tier IV carrier can deal more damage than the Langley with those two torpedo squadrons. I think the American dive bombers have a better chance of hitting destroyers if you are attacking with only a single squadron.

Oh and as a Tier iV carrier you might run into a Tier VI CLeveland. Strickly avoid getting near her with planes. My Cleveland is optimized with an AA build and skills she has an AA rating of 75 doing 215 damage a second to enemy planes (I believe that is boosted another 10%). Half of that damage I can inflict out to 7.2 km and more than 3/4 of it out to 5.1 km. The remaining 47 pts/sec still reaches out to 3 km. A Cleveland built more for ship-to-ship will not be quite that dangerous and will have significantly less range but you should still avoid them. If enemy fighters are attacking your planes and you have a friendly Cleveland nearby run to her. An enemy fighter squadron will disappear almost instantly if their controller is not paying very close attention.

Last edited by Widow Maker; 25 Jul 16 at 22:59..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!