StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 28 Jun 16, 10:21
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - Game Thread (New!)

Welcome to the NEW game thread for the RELAUNCHED Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa forum campaign. This thread will be for general discussions and the posting of information for players to debate and decide upon.

Also remember that while we all are on a team, the true winner of the game is the specific Armeegruppe who performs the best, either by securing their objectives first or by doing the greatest job in my eyes. A little friendly competition is encouraged... and being magnanimous and working for the greater good may just ensure you get 3rd place!

Each week I will post an updated map for you all and the most recent bout of decisions to be discussed and decided upon.

I will try to keep this first post clear and used as a reference for finding later posts and updated information.

Considering we are relaunching this game, please be sure to sound off if you're still here in the area below so we know who is back, what spaces we need to fill, and who I need to keep in contact with.

NEW PLAYERS ARE STILL WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO JOIN UP!

Below is the OOB for all forces at the beginning, which I will update with commanders and other relevant information. Veterans can ignore the information below as it is the same as before; newbies are encouraged to take a gander.

Game Settings:

The game settings for the campaign, for those interested, are default with two exceptions:
  • Geneva Convention is set to off. This is a dirty war, bad things will happen, and you will have to deal with that as well. How much are you willing to sacrifice to retain your honor?
  • Past history is set to off. As you will be playing as your Feldmarschalls and/or their general staff, and this is a game built around personalities and role playing, it's best to ensure everyone starts at a level playing field.

The German Army:

The Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa (DC3) German campaign is basically split up into the operations of three separate Heeresgruppe. You will be joining the staff of one of these three Heeresgruppe as a staff officer, in control of your portion of the Russian battlefield with your own objectives and the inability (except in extreme circumstances) to move beyond your area of operations.

That is important to remember! Moving into another Heeresgruppe's zone comes with stiff penalties.

The OOB you will see below may change with the addition and subtraction of certain units as the game progresses, but you can't redeploy the 16. Armee down south to help conquer the Ukraine.

One last thing to note: in this game there are no corps represented on the map as a distinct layer. All the divisions are directly beneath their respective Armee or Panzergruppe.

That being said, let me introduce you to your choices for this campaign:

Heeresgruppe Nord
(Armygroup North)

Heeresgruppe Mitte
(Armygroup Center)

Heeresgruppe Süd
(Armygroup South)

Player Signups:

Whew! That was a LOT of typing. I'll update the OOB as new units are added, removed, or destroyed in the game.

Now, here comes the crucial part - deciding which of those Heeresgruppe you want to be a part of!

If you are interested and wish to get involved, just reply to this post with a confirmation of your interest and clearly state the Heeresgruppe you wish to help run, and you will get your own Armee.

Names in BOLD are confirmed for the new campaign.

Heeresgruppe Nord (AGN)

THE EXORCIST

Heeresgruppe Mitte (AGC)

ULRIH
WIDOW MAKER

TSAR

Heeresgruppe Süd (AGS)

PRUITT
MAJOR SENNEF
MICHELE

"In Iraq, the U.S. intervened and occupied, and the result was a costly disaster. In Libya, the U.S. intervened and did not occupy, and the result was a costly disaster. In Syria, the U.S. neither intervened nor occupied, and the result is a costly disaster."
-- Philip Gordon, 2015

Last edited by Daemon of Decay; 05 Jul 16 at 14:18..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Jun 16, 10:22
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am in as AGS commander.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 28 Jun 16, 10:26
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Well I'm here - but certainly not the best choice for an army Group command before half August, from what I gathered Michele is neither,

Gman ? You ready to take command of AGN ?

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 28 Jun 16, 10:49
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Well I'm here - but certainly not the best choice for an army Group command before half August, from what I gathered Michele is neither,

Gman ? You ready to take command of AGN ?
If you and Michele feel you'll be too busy, and Gman isn't up for it, I could give Exo AGN. I'll let you guys decide what you want first since you have rights to continue your previous commands.
"In Iraq, the U.S. intervened and occupied, and the result was a costly disaster. In Libya, the U.S. intervened and did not occupy, and the result was a costly disaster. In Syria, the U.S. neither intervened nor occupied, and the result is a costly disaster."
-- Philip Gordon, 2015
Old 28 Jun 16, 10:53
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Both good solutions - from about half August I should be able to resume full service

Old 28 Jun 16, 16:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
AGN , eh?

Tempting, even if it is the smallest one with the most restricted front.
But I would probably want to do it all myself... maybe we should wait 2 underlings, see if they want it?

Pruitt; how did I do last time, in your opinion? Would you be cool with me having the same two armies as last time?
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
"We have reached the stage where satire is prophecy"
-Theodore Dalrymple
Old 28 Jun 16, 16:16
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have no problem with you handling 1PG and 6A again. I will give you suggestions for the first move, but it will be up to you what your orders are. This time I think we can be almost to Rovno by end of turn 1. We also have a chance of destroying one Soviet Army HQ unit.

Pruitt

Old 28 Jun 16, 16:35
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
I’m back to command PG2.
Old 28 Jun 16, 19:29
Sinc

Alright I've posted the decisions necessary for the start of the game. Hopefully if people are interested and trickle back in they'll chime in.

If not, we'll have to recruit some more (and add people as time goes on).
-- Philip Gordon, 2015
Old 28 Jun 16, 20:57
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
I have no problem with you handling 1PG and 6A again. I will give you suggestions for the first move, but it will be up to you what your orders are. This time I think we can be almost to Rovno by end of turn 1. We also have a chance of destroying one Soviet Army HQ unit.

Pruitt
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just help me find a way to keep my Panzers from missing as many turns as possible.

Rovno? Don't you mean Lvov?

Demon; I would take AGN but only if Gman88 and Michele both turn it down.
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
"We have reached the stage where satire is prophecy"
-Theodore Dalrymple
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Jun 16, 03:12
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Will the starting situation be exactly the same as last time or is there some variance ?

If not most discussion and analysis in the old threads should still apply for the first few turns.

Most importantly - Conserve Fuel.

Old 29 Jun 16, 03:38
France

The Red Army units will not be in the exact same places as before. Every time you start a new game the Red Army units are moved around a bit. I have found playing the game that some units get to move and attack as many as three times in the first couple of turns. You have to word your orders to take advantage of this. The other rules are the same.

If you play the game on your own computer you can get extra PP, Gasoline, Trains and Trucks in each turn. The difficulty of the game increases every time you do this. The AI will move new units to block any breakthroughs you make. The trick is to not let them entrench in front of you. I have yet to get to Leningrad, Moscow or Rostov. I did get around Leningrad once! You can also take towns that have the red garrison units, but it is hard to do this at Odessa, Kiev and Riga.

I tried playing the Red Army once and it is worse than playing a German!

Pruitt

Old 29 Jun 16, 11:30
Sinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just help me find a way to keep my Panzers from missing as many turns as possible.

Rovno? Don't you mean Lvov?

Demon; I would take AGN but only if Gman88 and Michele both turn it down.
We have a week before we make decisions. If they don't speak up by the weekend, I'll put you tentatively in command.
-- Philip Gordon, 2015
Old 29 Jun 16, 11:34
Sinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
The Red Army units will not be in the exact same places as before. Every time you start a new game the Red Army units are moved around a bit. I have found playing the game that some units get to move and attack as many as three times in the first couple of turns. You have to word your orders to take advantage of this. The other rules are the same.

If you play the game on your own computer you can get extra PP, Gasoline, Trains and Trucks in each turn. The difficulty of the game increases every time you do this. The AI will move new units to block any breakthroughs you make. The trick is to not let them entrench in front of you. I have yet to get to Leningrad, Moscow or Rostov. I did get around Leningrad once! You can also take towns that have the red garrison units, but it is hard to do this at Odessa, Kiev and Riga.

I tried playing the Red Army once and it is worse than playing a German!

Pruitt
In my private games my first... three or four I didn't finish because I messed up (they even once managed to secure my FOB and crippled an entire AG!).

However, in the game I won (my last single player experience, which was before the first multiplayer game) I managed to secure all three objectives (though Moscow only fell days before winter basically immobilized my army).

What I found important was the destruction of enemy units and a steady advance: break through, secure supply lines, consolidate, advance again.

But yeah, having the Reds dig in is a bad thing - the reason I was slowed with AGC was that line of fortifications along the river on the way to Moscow, where the Red's were entrenched heavily and I had to dig them out before advancing.

Often the Red's will retreat when threatened with encirclement so you don't have to kill every unit... but that one rogue cavalry division can play havoc if you're not paying attention.
-- Philip Gordon, 2015
Old 29 Jun 16, 14:38
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If available I would like to try commanding 4 PG in AGN.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!