StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 06 Nov 16, 18:41
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Six years older than I was but I have read it again
Moved on, found Heinlein.
Old 06 Nov 16, 20:31
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Moved on, found Heinlein.
Read him at the same rime, also Eric Frank Russell, Clarke.van Vogt, Simak, Sheckly, Silverberg etc etc.
Old 06 Nov 16, 20:42
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Read him at the same rime, also Eric Frank Russell, Clarke.van Vogt, Simak, Sheckly, Silverberg etc etc.
Fantasy and Science Fiction, Analog, etc.
Old 07 Nov 16, 06:52
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
When I was nine the family took a holiday in North Wales, in a rented mobile home near the beach. There was a window seat in the living room packed with old Amazing, Analogue and other SF mags (which were not easy to come by in the UK at that time)' It rained the whole holiday (as it frequently does in North Wales) but I didn't care as I spent the time on strange planets orbiting distant stars rather than on a cold and soggy beach.
Old 13 Nov 16, 04:09
General of the Forums
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolas93TS View Post
A better mousetrap
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Nov 16, 05:47
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderickwells View Post
A better mousetrap
Obviously a British Feline Tanker - not wearing a helmet
Old 21 Nov 16, 21:38
Major General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
Post Lion Cub "Whiskey"

I am surprised that you've all forgotten the Lafayette Escadrille's pet lion "Whiskey"...

Their is a nice photo of Raoul Lufbery (i think) patting Whiskey on the face as the lion gets up on two legs to give him a lick, dog style!

People who are cruel to cats deserve to be imprisoned. We had four soldiers at the local base who were discharged for throwing a kitten back and forth between them, kicking the poor thing like a football, and laughing all the way back to barracks. Such treatment of animals leaves me cold.

Cats are intelligent, sensative, trainable, loveable, and just plain good company. Unfortunately, their fur makes my eyes itch and water and I get sneezing fits from them, so I cannot have one as a pet!
Old 21 Nov 16, 21:47
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
When I was nine the family took a holiday in North Wales, in a rented mobile home near the beach. There was a window seat in the living room packed with old Amazing, Analogue and other SF mags (which were not easy to come by in the UK at that time)' It rained the whole holiday (as it frequently does in North Wales) but I didn't care as I spent the time on strange planets orbiting distant stars rather than on a cold and soggy beach.
Boy do I have a blast from the past for you.

http://www.loyalbooks.com/book/Short...n-Collection-1

Enjoy.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 23 Nov 16, 18:41
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Boy do I have a blast from the past for you.

http://www.loyalbooks.com/book/Short...n-Collection-1

Enjoy.
I might park this link in the Sci-Fi sub-forum if you don't.
Old 23 Nov 16, 18:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus Nero View Post
I am surprised that you've all forgotten the Lafayette Escadrille's pet lion "Whiskey"...

Their is a nice photo of Raoul Lufbery (i think) patting Whiskey on the face as the lion gets up on two legs to give him a lick, dog style!

People who are cruel to cats deserve to be imprisoned. We had four soldiers at the local base who were discharged for throwing a kitten back and forth between them, kicking the poor thing like a football, and laughing all the way back to barracks. Such treatment of animals leaves me cold.

Cats are intelligent, sensative, trainable, loveable, and just plain good company. Unfortunately, their fur makes my eyes itch and water and I get sneezing fits from them, so I cannot have one as a pet!
Great post and on-spot observations. Though we cat "owners", a.k.a. staff, often wonder who is training whom.

Our two males are both "back-door" cats, showed up at our backdoor needing a home. We guess they were dumped, we live out in the country. The female was 'rescued' from the shelter when the first male showed up and we thought he could use a companion of his own age. All are great hunters and that helps when living rural.

Sorry you have the reactions you do. Some of our grandchildren are also sensitive in that way.
Old 23 Nov 16, 19:47
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
Great post and on-spot observations. Though we cat "owners", a.k.a. staff, often wonder who is training whom.

Our two males are both "back-door" cats, showed up at our backdoor needing a home. We guess they were dumped, we live out in the country. The female was 'rescued' from the shelter when the first male showed up and we thought he could use a companion of his own age. All are great hunters and that helps when living rural.

Sorry you have the reactions you do. Some of our grandchildren are also sensitive in that way.
I and my wife, when she was still alive , have had a menage of dogs (Jack Russells) and cats. This works provided that you introduce new animals as kittens or pups. The bitches have tended to adopt the kittens (and even produced milk for them until the sound of a yip and a kitten being kicked out of bed has signaled the growth of cat teeth) and the toms tried to teach the pups feline hunting skills and boxed their ears when they failed). It resulted in some life long friendships with cat and dog sharing a bed. The cats still let me know if there is a dog waiting to go in or out of the back door and vice versa and when one of the cats was taken ill in the back paddock one of the dogs stood guard over it whilst the other dog and the rest of the cats came in the house and kicked up a fuss until we went out and retrieved the sick animal.
Old 24 Nov 16, 10:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
We have a cat and a dog raised together that live indoors, play together, and go outside together and are inseparable.

It's even better now that the pet pig has decided to join in, making our morning walks the talk of our small community: the dog, followed by me holding the leash, followed by the cat and the pig happily bringing up the rear as we stroll down the local dirt road!

What the locals don't understand is that they all think they're family, and therefore "people" just like me!

Best part is that the pig can follow directions in four languages: English, French, German and Spanish!!!
Old 24 Nov 16, 11:31
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
We have a cat and a dog raised together that live indoors, play together, and go outside together and are inseparable.

It's even better now that the pet pig has decided to join in, making our morning walks the talk of our small community: the dog, followed by me holding the leash, followed by the cat and the pig happily bringing up the rear as we stroll down the local dirt road!

What the locals don't understand is that they all think they're family, and therefore "people" just like me!

Best part is that the pig can follow directions in four languages: English, French, German and Spanish!!!
It was an evening in November,
As I very well remember,
I was strolling down the street in drunken pride,
But my knees were all a-flutter,
And I landed in the gutter
And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
Yes, I lay there in the gutter
Thinking thoughts I could not utter,
When a colleen passing by did softly say
'You can tell a man who boozes
By the company he chooses'
And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

anon Irish
Old 24 Nov 16, 12:01
General of the Forums
United_States

I used to visit a lady when I lived in Miami. She had two ocelots in her penthouse apartment. Big tabbies, loved to have their belly scratched. Reminded me of the old saying "The reason we keep cats is so that we might pet the tiger."
Old 24 Nov 16, 13:25
First Lieutenant
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Prospekt Mira is on the path to success [1-99] Prospekt Mira is on the path to success [1-99] Prospekt Mira is on the path to success [1-99] Prospekt Mira is on the path to success [1-99] Prospekt Mira is on the path to success [1-99] Prospekt Mira is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Obviously a British Feline Tanker - not wearing a helmet
Only he's driving a Jerry armoured car. Sdkfz 222 most likely.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!