StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 17 Jun 16, 13:16
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
That works fine for a house pet type... try to grab my Tom like that and you will regret it. Cat Scratch Fever is what you will have.

I have to grab him and stuff him in face first... when he thinks I am picking him up to go feed him.
He is royally pissed for a long while tho but takes it out on the Vet .

They have to put him to sleep with gas to do ANYTHING to him. He is big and strong... but has a mouth disease that requires a steroid/antibiotic shots every 3 months or so or he can not eat even pate.
My wife and I are currently treating a litter of kittens four times a day. It takes both of us, and none weigh over two pounds.

When my wife's German Shepherd grew ill, she fed it hamburger by hand for three months.

Pets bring a great deal into one's world.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 16 Aug 16, 05:34
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Cats are only good for one thing...

Socks.
They are also good for minimising the effects of frostbite.
Quote:
The Flying Cat who’s a WWII hero
Posted on May 8, 2014
by Dr. Eowyn | 7 Comments

In the United Kingdom, Remembrance Sunday is held on the second Sunday in November “to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts.”

On Remembrance Sunday, November 13, 2011, a tabby cat named Pyro received a special posthumous commendation for his bravery during the Second World War, from the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals charity.

Bob’s son Robin, 64, said: “We are really very proud of Pyro. He was the only flying cat in the Second World War – and any other war as far as we know. The crews believed that Pyro kept them safe during the dangerous experimental flights over the Atlantic. Those missions were very dangerous and a lot of crews died so they were very superstitious and Pyro was very important for morale.”

In 1942, Bob Bird was a 22-year-old Liverpool photographer who was dispatched to the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment (MAEE) base in Helensburgh, Scotland, to document experimental weapons being tested to destroy German U-boats.

There, he found a tabby kitten searching for a warm place to stay in his dark room.
[.....]
Pyro earned his wings one winter’s day in early 1943 when, at 20,000ft, ice covered the plane Bob Bird was flying in. The photographer took off his glove to change a lens and got severe frostbite in his fingers. So he used the heat from Pyro in his flying jacket to warm his hands. Pyro stayed in position even after the plane had to make a crash-landing in the sea off the west coast of Scotland, when the pilot was rendered blind by severe frostbite.

Bird spent two weeks in hospital recovering and was later told by doctors the cat had saved his fingers.
[.....]
https://fellowshipoftheminds.com/201...a-wwii-hero-2/

My thanks to tonight's episode of Antiques Roadshow(which I don't normally watch) for bringing this to my attention.

It was being broadcast from the National Memorial Arbororetum, which I could not remember having heard of before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rial_Arboretum

And speaking of cats keeping things warm, 10 years ago my sister found a stray that I adopted.

I called her "Zipper", because she was always zipping here, there and everywhere.

She used to love to sleep on my pillow, especially when my head was on it.

That's one part of the bed the electric blanket can't reach.

One of her kittens used to love sleeping under the blankets, so these two helped keep me warmer than I otherwise would have been.

Both of them looked very much like "Pyro" - but sadly, I only have memories of them now.

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
— Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Last edited by At ease; 16 Aug 16 at 06:34..
Old 17 Aug 16, 09:50
General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
My old grand dad was skipper of a QBoat WW1 and in his time lost two boats ,one to colliding with a German UBoat and the other was due to catching too many fish and the boat was overloaded...anyway on both occasions he was the last man off his boats with the ships log under arm and the ships cat under the other.....On a later occasion he took his three fishing trawlers to a sandy beach in France to pick up a bunch of non paying passengers and the new ships cat went along for the ride and apparently enjoyed its self and welcomed a bunch of soaky, hungry, tired guys traveling at the last moment.......
Old 17 Aug 16, 10:13
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
In terms of using animals for warmth the weirdest seems to be the idea of sealing live hens inside nuclear land mines to keep the temperature at optimum prior to detonation.

Would those birds have been Schrödinger's Chickens?
Old 01 Nov 16, 12:19
Corporal
United_States

BrianBoru2485 is on the path to success [1-99]
The Marines had a pet lion they kept , pictures show it on hood of a jeep in I believe Iwo Jima. In the latest book on Teddy Roosevelt, " Rough Riders", they had a pet dog, and a pet mountain lion, they took both with them to the Tampa training base before the Cuba landings, but only took the dog along for the campaign.
Old 01 Nov 16, 12:37
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
A cat was once the undoing of a German command post on the Western Front. A British observer spotted a large tortoise shell cat sunning its self on the same piece of parapet each day in what had been thought to be an unmanned section of German trench. It was reasoned that as there was a plague of rats on both sides of the lines at the time a cat would be a very useful thing to have and therefore this one had probably been snaffled by the local HQ (officers for the use of). Further observation of the area behind the cat by telescope and and air recce revealed that there was indeed a command post dug in there which was then removed by the use of heavy howitzers.
Old 05 Nov 16, 23:24
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800] At ease gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
It’s no secret that cat owners can get a little obsessed with their feline friends. Many go to great lengths to ensure their little razor-clawed balls of fluff live a life of pure luxury. And that’s definitely true for the crew of Aussie warship HMAS Nizam during the Second World War. Photographer George Silk snapped this shot of two cats on board the ship, chilling in a hammock that was custom built for them by the sailors. No doubt these furry companions were a welcome distraction for the crew from the day-to-day realties of war. HMAS Nizam was one of several Australian destroyers involved in the 1941 Tobruk Ferry Run, which delivered much needed food, ammunition and medical supplies to the Allied Forces pinned down during the 241 day Siege of Tobruk. (Australian War Memorial)
Read more at http://pickle.nine.com.au/2016/11/04...PRRpuAYyr3Y.99

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
— Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Last edited by At ease; 05 Nov 16 at 23:45..
Old 06 Nov 16, 05:57
General of the Forums
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700] redcoat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
The ultimate seafaring warcat was Oscar - originally the mascot of the Bismarck.
This may be a myth as none of the Bismarck survivors who were later asked about this story remembers the ship ever having a cat
Old 06 Nov 16, 12:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
EU
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600]
nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600] nikolas93TS is simply cracking [600]

Косово је Србија!
Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page
Old 06 Nov 16, 13:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
A cat was once the undoing of a German command post on the Western Front. A British observer spotted a large tortoise shell cat sunning its self on the same piece of parapet each day in what had been thought to be an unmanned section of German trench. It was reasoned that as there was a plague of rats on both sides of the lines at the time a cat would be a very useful thing to have and therefore this one had probably been snaffled by the local HQ (officers for the use of). Further observation of the area behind the cat by telescope and and air recce revealed that there was indeed a command post dug in there which was then removed by the use of heavy howitzers.
Was the cat okay?
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Nov 16, 14:12
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Was the cat okay?
Almost certainly - it would have displayed many cats' characteristic loyalty and found a ratting position on the British side,
Old 06 Nov 16, 14:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Almost certainly - it would have displayed many cats' characteristic loyalty and found a ratting position on the British side,
Pragmatism in action. I remember Hornblower "recruiting" from the survivors of a sunken enemy.
Old 06 Nov 16, 15:28
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Pragmatism in action. I remember Hornblower "recruiting" from the survivors of a sunken enemy.
If you are referring to "The Happy Return" then the sailors in question had the option of eventuality being hanged as traitors to their own country (along with el Supremo) or joining the Andrew - you choose.
Old 06 Nov 16, 16:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
If you are referring to "The Happy Return" then the sailors in question had the option of eventuality being hanged as traitors to their own country (along with el Supremo) or joining the Andrew - you choose.
I was fifteen when I read it.
Old 06 Nov 16, 16:47
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
I was fifteen when I read it.
Six years older than I was but I have read it again

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!