StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Africa

Notices and Announcements

Africa Issues of modern Africa.

Old 15 May 16, 18:19
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Conversation: France's Ties to Africa

A quick intro to the topic.
Only about five minutes long.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 May 16, 13:54
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Well, it is a brief introduction, however they could at least have mentioned France's role in the West and Central African Franc zones, the size and duration of normal French troop rotations into and out of the region, and the size and composition of French contingency forces earmarked for the region, perhaps with an assessment of time it would take such forces to intervene.

Operating away from the African coasts theoretically demands either a proportionally large logistics base and associated contingency transport footprint, or prepositioned equipment and supplies in theater.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 31 May 16, 01:56
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500]
Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500] Metryll is a jewel in the rough [500]
At least two points the video miss:

#1 FranceAfrique, a kind of political connection between politicals class of France and African countries often tainted with corruption.

#2 Language : France usually intervene in French speaking countries, a marked advantage for intelligence/communication with population.
Old 31 May 16, 10:58
Lieutenant General
Ireland

E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400]
E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400]
France’s history in Africa is very mixed, as is the history of every colonial power.
I opinion is that she behaved very badly in Algeria and participated in some very questionable actions and contributed directly and indirectly to vast amounts of unnecessary bloodshed but I am open to correction as my reading on the topic has been quite limited.
For me France’s actions before and during the Rwandan Genocide is one of her darkest hours and stands out as a shameful period in her modern history. The mitigating factor there is that it was the behaviour of a relatively small number of politicians and the French people were not aware of what their government was doing or later covering up.

A government is not a nation.
Old 31 May 16, 16:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. Morel View Post
For me France’s actions before and during the Rwandan Genocide is one of her darkest hours and stands out as a shameful period in her modern history.
Everyone was still gun shy from Somalia.

I'm not sure their actions or inactions were any worse than other nations. When the world finally woke up and started to care......I remember France being a major player in relief operations.
Old 01 Jun 16, 06:04
Lieutenant General
Ireland

E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400] E.D. Morel has a spectacular aura about [400]
Read “Shake hands With the Devil” and “Season of Blood” for context. In my opinion members of the French government knew what they were dealing with and kept the Hutu government in power before and during the genocide. There are numerous accounts of French Special Forces fighting with the Hutu forces which were committing the genocide. I’m not accusing the French military of participating in the killings or even really knowing what was going on but their political masters certainly did.
Old 01 Jun 16, 10:13
General of the Forums
United_States

Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
I’m not accusing the French military of participating in the killings or even really knowing what was going on but their political masters certainly did.
It will take some time to get and read those books, but I will. Thanks for the recommendations.

That being said; taking the history of French interaction with the local governments after 1960......I find it difficult to believe that the political masters knew or were capable of knowing the extent of the genocide until it was too late. A case in point would be how they handled Bokassa.
Old 08 Jun 16, 11:46
Lieutenant General
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
It will take some time to get and read those books, but I will. Thanks for the recommendations.

That being said; taking the history of French interaction with the local governments after 1960......I find it difficult to believe that the political masters knew or were capable of knowing the extent of the genocide until it was too late. A case in point would be how they handled Bokassa.
The Wiki link is a good, if incomplete, starting point into France's involvement and the subsequent cover-up's, lies and whitewashes from both France and the current Tutsi government of Rwanda. It's hard to like any of the main players in this debacle.
Old 03 Jul 16, 10:29
General of the Forums
France
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Man!
You love to talk about France!
Old 04 Jul 16, 06:38
Lieutenant General
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebfrench76 View Post
Man!
You love to talk about France!
I am very critical of the role of the French government at the time. They are not France. What makes France a great country is that the most vocal critics of their actions were other French people and they could protest in the certainty that they were free and safe to do so. The same applied to the USA, the UK, Ireland and other truly free countries. That’s why we are superior to oppressive countries like Iran, China and Russia and that’s why we should hole ourselves to higher standards.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Jul 16, 07:17
General of the Forums
France
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] sebfrench76 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I am very critical of the role of the French government at the time. They are not France. What makes France a great country is that the most vocal critics of their actions were other French people and they could protest in the certainty that they were free and safe to do so. The same applied to the USA, the UK, Ireland and other truly free countries. That’s why we are superior to oppressive countries like Iran, China and Russia and that’s why we should hole ourselves to higher standards.
No,no,no!!
Was responding to a spammer,not to you!!
The guy flooded the forum with never ending posts..
Old 04 Jul 16, 12:36
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
No,no,no!!
Was responding to a spammer,not to you!!
The guy flooded the forum with never ending posts..
I guess that means that you are talking about me?

I don't think that I have ever posted anything really negative about France.

I have taken many road trips through France on the way to the Czech Republic. Attend four battle studies at Belleau Wood, I have found the French to be some of the nicest people around.

Oh.....I also lived in the Central African Republic for 18 months while the relief efforts was going on for Rwanda.
Old 16 Aug 16, 17:08
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Norway
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
French expeditionary experience in Africa

I found a quite insightful article on how the French expeditionary force operated in Mali and especially the role of the company sized SGTIA and the battalion sized GTIA and the role of logistics.
As for the French regional expertise, the in the article mentioned aspects of obtaining bottled water as well as fuel locally were the envy of the UN as was the smooth cooperation with the local population, knowing the human terrain in advance.

http://www.css.ethz.ch/en/services/d...form=hootsuite

Having served in Mali with the French myself, both Serval and Barkhane, I can neither find that much fault with the article's findings
nor with its astute and raw conclusions, invoking Napoleonics (how what else could we expect in an article on the French army)

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 16 Aug 16 at 17:38..
Old 17 Aug 16, 01:50
General of the Forums
France

I have read it Jeroen and it is very enlightening ,and for once , we are seen like warriors who know their job.
Old 17 Aug 16, 05:18
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Norway
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
good at improvising and flexibility

Quote:
I have read it Jeroen and it is very enlightening ,and for once , we are seen like warriors who know their job.
Indeed, a view I've always held.
My professional view of the French military got shaped since I first started to work with them in Yugolsavia during the early nineties.
I considered them 'smart fighters', very good at improvising and flexibility which in the chaos that is war is of overriding importance.

It was only in Mali and in the whole of francophone Africa that they appeared to me as really superior, in particular because of their grasp of the 'human terrain' as this article stresses as well.

I can imagine how refreshing it must be to the French to be presented here in US professional literature as second to none professionals who know their job.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!