StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War > Air Power

Notices and Announcements

Air Power A place to discuss the implements of War in the Air!

View Poll Results: Fighter aircraft for Finland for 2020->
Eurofighter 3 8.33%
Gripen NG 13 36.11%
Lightning II 3 8.33%
Rafale 3 8.33%
Super Hornet (Advanced?) 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02 May 16, 15:14
Lieutenant General
Finland
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Vaeltaja has disabled reputation
Finns want fighters

So... Finns have chosen to ask offers from USA, UK, France and Sweden as the current F-18C/D aircraft are getting somewhat old.

Options are (or so it seems...) Lightning II, (Advanced) Super Hornet, Eurofighter, Rafale, Gripen NG. And possibly an assortment of drones.

Keeping in mind that it is a long term deal and operating & maintenance costs do factor in which would be your choice for Finland, and why?

Capability of operating from road bases is mandatory. Carrier capability doesn't hurt (because of this: Arrestor wire landing at road base). Ease of maintenance (especially) without access to hangars a definite plus.

Last edited by Vaeltaja; 02 May 16 at 15:19..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 May 16, 16:10
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
While I might have said the Gripen, I'd say the Super Hornet would be a better choice on the basis of upgradability and maintainability.
Either could operate from roads and short strips. The Hornet has the added plus of already being fully designed and used in harsh environments being a carrier plane. This is more so than its land based cousins usually receive in that respect. Folding wings and the arrester hook make for arrested landings and the ability to be stored in tight spaces.

I don't see age of the design as a big drawback. Jet fighter design has reached something of a peak beyond which they aren't going to get a whole lot better than they are today.
The two engine design adds a big safety factor, particularly given the plane will be operating in arctic conditions and poor weather regularly.
Old 02 May 16, 16:33
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I would say: Go for Gripen.
I see two advantages:
1. Get the neighbours involved. Better a good and close neighbour than a far friend. Supply and ease of maintenance should neither now nor in the future be a problem with Swedish planes.
2. The Swedes operate under the same climatic conditions as Finland and have the same operational principles you mentioned.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 02 May 16, 16:43
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
IMHO, STOL, ease of maintainence and updateability of electronics and weapons kits would/should be prime factors in the decision making, along with range and loiter considerations.
Old 02 May 16, 16:45
Banned
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200]
F-35 buy the best but if not then the Super Hornet then the Gripen.
Old 02 May 16, 17:54
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceW View Post
F-35 buy the best but if not then the Super Hornet then the Gripen.
Buy the F-35 -- whenever it becomes available.
Old 02 May 16, 18:14
Lieutenant General
Finland
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Vaeltaja has disabled reputation
My opinions...

If Gripen came with two engines instead of just one i would choose that. It doesn't (and neither does F-35) which is a somewhat bad thing. On the other hand I'm fairly certain that F-35's trump card - i.e. stealth - will be of limited usefulness in mid 2025 when the new fighters would replace the F-18C/Ds - after all Moore's law and other things indicates that detection should to be developing much faster than stealth. Eurofighter and Rafale are both interesting but I'm not really seeing either of the standing head and shoulders above the others, more like it is a choice between equal performance (but different color) Renault and Volkswagen. Given that Gripen's design is certainly suitable for the local conditions this seems to leave me into a tie between Gripen and Super Hornet.
Old 02 May 16, 18:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Toss up between Super Hornet and Gripen. Most of it has already been said, but I'd also note that the US and a lot of other countries have Super Hornets and will have them for quite some time to come. That means that SH operators can and will be making additional upgrades over the years, to electronics and other things. Finland would get to benefit from this as well.

I agree, unless you're going stealth, fighter tech has pretty well peaked. I like the Gripen, and I don't think they'd be served wrong to have it. OTOH, I think that the Super Hornet would have a lot more options long term. And as F35 nations do some replacing, there'd be options for the Finns to acquire parts, planes, and other associated gear at discount prices to supplement their purchase.
Old 02 May 16, 18:32
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Gripen, probably, with the Super Hornet an acceptable alternative.
I think that the considerations that went into the design of the aircraft to render it suitable for Swedish service apply similarly for Finland.
Old 02 May 16, 21:24
Banned
Canada

VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200] VinceW is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Buy the F-35 -- whenever it becomes available.
They need the next fighter by 2025 the F-35c will be ready before then.
Sponsored Links

Old 02 May 16, 22:40
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I would hope the Gripen has better range than the Super Hornet. Still how far does the Finns operate from their airfields? Do they operate tanker aircraft? The USN has them and uses them.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 03 May 16, 02:00
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceW View Post
They need the next fighter by 2025 the F-35c will be ready before then.
For the Fins? I mean lots of countries are getting them first.

Choice is supper hornet or grippen. I would say supper hornet since you have the older modles. You got experiance in dealing with the companies that run the logistics. But the gripen could be cheaper to buy and run.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 03 May 16, 03:23
Captain
United_States

Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99] Nebfer is on the path to success [1-99]
The real questions that should be asked here is, when do you want them, what will be available at that time and do you want used?

If you want them starting in 2025, their will not be much in the way of options, AFAIK the only plane that will be in production at that time frame will be the F-35. None of the others have the orders to keep them in production till 2025 from what I know. And out side of the F/A-18 I do not think their is enough air frames around for some one to give you some second hand, at lest in usable numbers.

If you need them starting in 2020, then theirs more options.
Old 03 May 16, 03:47
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebfer View Post
The real questions that should be asked here is, when do you want them, what will be available at that time and do you want used?

If you want them starting in 2025, their will not be much in the way of options, AFAIK the only plane that will be in production at that time frame will be the F-35. None of the others have the orders to keep them in production till 2025 from what I know. And out side of the F/A-18 I do not think their is enough air frames around for some one to give you some second hand, at lest in usable numbers.

If you need them starting in 2020, then theirs more options.
There is a brazil and swedish order for the gripen ng

CPO Mzinyati
Old 03 May 16, 03:48
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Achtung Baby has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dassault Rafale.

First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure. - Mark Twain.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!