StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 25 Apr 16, 07:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Online Store at Matrix Games

Matrix games has dozens of turn-based strategy games in their online store.

But which ones are worth playing?

I'm familiar with 1% of their online selection, if that.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 25 Apr 16, 07:55
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post

I'm familiar with 1% of their online selection, if that.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/

A few here play Civil War 2.....
Old 25 Apr 16, 08:25
Brigadier General
Canada

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:

1% of their online selection, if that.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 25 Apr 16, 14:34
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
TOAW!!

They are really doing themselves a disservice by keeping the prices so high. Sure, they have reasons, but all their reasons seem to have something to do with the generation of grognards who are in their retirement(a lot of the games are major time hogs) and have 60+ USD to spend on a single game. For me I only buy whenever something is in deep discount, like during the Christmas sales.

They control the supply when it comes to strategy/war games but their demand is dying out and they don't seem to be doing anything about it.
Old 25 Apr 16, 17:59
General of the Forums
United_States

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have the latest version of TOAW and love it. I liberated the Philippines as the Japanese and then started playing Rommels African campaign but that scenario is much harder so I'm discouraged. I must play something easy in TOAW like liberation of Kuwait 1991

Old 25 Apr 16, 18:01
General of the Forums
United_States

There are too many games being sold there which probably translates into low quality but plentiful selection. Epic games like TOAW or Grisbys War in the East take forever to develop so epic games are relatively few

Old 26 Apr 16, 03:05
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
There are too many games being sold there which probably translates into low quality but plentiful selection.
The low quality available at Matrix is not related to the number of titles offered. The low quality is generally due to Matrix' indifference to quality control. Some games are of good quality, but most Matrix games are not. Matrix sole purpose is to get your money. Once they have it, you have no recourse. There is a no refund policy. (Even Steam has a full refund policy.)

My advice is to only try those games that have a free demo available. This way, you will know exactly what you are buying. Do not trust any claims (especially those of developers and publishers.) Do not believe anything you cannot see and verify with your own eyes and confirm with your own computer.

Matrix is quite opposed to demos, but there are some developers who release one, regardless. Those are the ones sufficiently confident with their product that they want you to try their game before you buy. Anyone without a free demo can be safely ignored.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 26 Jun 16, 16:15
Private
Canada

bairdlander is on the path to success [1-99]

Take note, most of the titles released pre win 10 will not work if you have win 10.I recall a price complaint thread on their Nazi like forum a few years back and one of the top dogs with Matrix stated the reason for the $60USD prices on releases from 15+ years ago was because they feel the customers will enjoy the game more if they pay outrageous prices.They used to promote themselves as a "ma and pa shop" little store,but they are all about greed.
Old 26 Jun 16, 17:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'd like to buy WIF from them but from what I read in the reviews its a stinker.

Also their policy of banning people for daring to ask awkward questions leads me to not buy their products...

I don't buy from dicks. And come on, those folks have a serious history of being one...

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 26 Jun 16, 17:48
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdlander View Post
I recall a price complaint thread on their Nazi like forum a few years back and one of the top dogs with Matrix stated the reason for the $60USD prices on releases from 15+ years ago was because they feel the customers will enjoy the game more if they pay outrageous prices.
There are plenty of threads like that, over there. I even saw some buffoons claim that players will not appreciate a game unless it has a high price.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Sponsored Links

Old 26 Jun 16, 17:54
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
I'd like to buy WIF from them but from what I read in the reviews its a stinker.
It is still (even after 3 years of work.) It is barely functional, but has no AI whatsoever.

Quote:
Also their policy of banning people for daring to ask awkward questions leads me to not buy their products...

I don't buy from dicks. And come on, those folks have a serious history of being one...
Me, too. I keep my wallet in my pocket when I hear their name.

The admins ban people and then beat upon them, when they cannot respond, a total lack of class.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4104439

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 26 Jun 16, 18:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
It is still (even after 3 years of work.) It is barely functional, but has no AI whatsoever.

Me, too. I keep my wallet in my pocket when I hear their name.

The admins ban people and then beat upon them, when they cannot respond, a total lack of class.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4104439
I've been watching the development of computer wif for more than twenty years by these bozos. Excuses and bull excrement has been their hallmark.

I wouldn't play against a AI anyway. If a AI could play wif we'd be doomed...

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 26 Jun 16, 18:08
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
I've been watching the development of computer wif for more than twenty years by these bozos. Excuses and bull excrement has been their hallmark.
You might remember when it first released. I think you had to buy the hardcopy rulebooks and the shipping costs often exceeded that of the game! I think it was around $150 USD. Once they unloaded their first print run, then you could purchase just the eDownload version.

And Matrix actually thinks that people will forget how badly they were treated.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 26 Jun 16, 18:19
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
You might remember when it first released. I think you had to buy the hardcopy rulebooks and the shipping costs often exceeded that of the game! I think it was around $150 USD. Once they unloaded their first print run, then you could purchase just the eDownload version.

I didn't begrudge ADG the $300 price of the paper and pencil game. It was worth it, as a 'cult' game. I got the value of the entertainment value for decades. (Also the tears and rants of both me and my opponents over the decades...)

Well worth it viewed long term. Now we use magnetic counter holders instead of stabbing ourselves with pins. (A obsolete method of stacking counters.) The maps are huge so need to be placed on walls instead of taking up valuable floor space.

Old 26 Jun 16, 19:45
Private
Canada

bairdlander is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

Their excuse was it is a "niche" market and they do not control shipping costs.What a disaster.Of course the Matrix forum bag lickers sided with Matrix and anyone who complained was ostracized.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!