StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 09 Apr 16, 07:54
Private
United_States

HISTORY_DUDE is on the path to success [1-99]
Battle of Long Island map/animation - August 27, 1776

Here is a link to a video I have made depicting the Battle of Long Island. Although it is a video game I was able to put the appropriate units in their appropriate positions on the battlefield, making for a historically accurate representation of the battle. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4US...&nohtml5=False

Let me know what you think, I am very excited about making these in the hopes of getting others excited about history as well. Not everyone likes discussing the factors that led up to the American Revolution, but lots of people like video games, and if you can combine those interests you can create a crossover interest that might expand into further study!!

Anyhow let me know what you think, and if you have any special requests I will try to accommodate =)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 Apr 16, 08:22
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISTORY_DUDE View Post
Here is a link to a video I have made depicting the Battle of Long Island. Although it is a video game I was able to put the appropriate units in their appropriate positions on the battlefield, making for a historically accurate representation of the battle. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4US...&nohtml5=False

Let me know what you think, I am very excited about making these in the hopes of getting others excited about history as well. Not everyone likes discussing the factors that led up to the American Revolution, but lots of people like video games, and if you can combine those interests you can create a crossover interest that might expand into further study!!

Anyhow let me know what you think, and if you have any special requests I will try to accommodate =)
Nice video but you have the British uniforms wrong. Tricorns were considered unsuitable for Field work,and wore Unstitched floppy hats turned up at one side, that includes Grenadiers who kept Bearskins for Guard duty and Parades but the workaday Grenadier wore the same. All except for the Light Infantry that liked to keep there Leather caps.
Equally long woollen coats had long been exchanged for short plain Red Jackets (linen) and by Long Island most Officers would probably also be carrying a Musket as well.
This image was more the reality

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true
Old 09 Apr 16, 08:27
Private
United_States

To be fair it's not like I made the video game, I took a game that already existed and used the units it represented to put together a visual representation of the battle that, while not 100% authentic, generates a broader interest in history. My goal is to excite people about history, and if that means the hats on the soldiers are ****ed up then so be it =P
Old 09 Apr 16, 08:29
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISTORY_DUDE View Post
To be fair it's not like I made the video game, I took a game that already existed and used the units it represented to put together a visual representation of the battle that, while not 100% authentic, generates a broader interest in history. My goal is to excite people about history, and if that means the hats on the soldiers are ****ed up then so be it =P
Didn't mean to criticise you, was just making a point, so sorry if it came across that way.
But I agree and share your aim regarding generating a broader interest in history
Old 09 Apr 16, 08:50
Private
United_States

No worries man you're all good, heck yeah man let's spread the word far and wide! =)
Old 12 Apr 16, 14:57
Sergeant Major
UK

jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by History fan View Post
Tricorns were considered unsuitable for Field work,and wore Unstitched floppy hats turned up at one side, that includes Grenadiers who kept Bearskins for Guard duty and Parades but the workaday Grenadier wore the same. All except for the Light Infantry that liked to keep there Leather caps.
[/url]
Not really true. At this stage of the war we don't know for sure what amendments had been made to the regulation uniform. In August 1776, It may well be that line infantry were still wearing their hats cocked at the battle of Long Island. A number of regiments were fresh off the boat from Britain and Ireland.

The Osprey illustration you post a link to is in fact of the 1st Light Infantry Battalion depicted at the battle of Brandywine Sept 1777, a year later and they are shown wearing the uncocked felt hats that you mention. (There is some evidence for green hat feathers worn by the 1st LI this early in the war but it is problematic). In fact there is reference to a 1st LI officer throwing his cap in the air just after the episode depicted, so the picture is not clear.

There is better evidence for uncocked hats and jackets/shortened coats being worn by the 2nd LI Battalion by this time, as depicted by della Gatta and St George at the battles of Paoli Tavern and Germantown a little later in 1777. Meanwhile, we have contemporary evidence both for Grenadiers having their fur trimmed caps to hand at Brandywine Creek in order to don them as they close with the enemy as well as a young Grenadier captain depicted wearing an uncocked hat with feather as he hurried to meet the American dawn attack at Germantown three weeks later.

There is one line battalion, the 40th, that is shown at Germantown also wearing uncocked hats and shortened coats. Whether we can assume all line regiments were similarly dressed is a matter of continuing debate. The amended campaign wear shown in 1777 was partially the result of replacement clothing failing to reach troops in the spring of that year, so it is not an unreasonable assumption. We have reference to woolen trousers replacing breeches from the winter of 1776-77, with lighter fabric pantaloons being worn in the summer.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!