StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 08 Oct 04, 15:12
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Sinister
Thanks for posting this one, misuse of this word has always annoyed me.

Me too, Doc.
:flag:

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 08 Oct 04, 15:34
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
FLANK

Old High German hlanka ---> Old French flanc ---> late Old English.

Origin is sometimes disputed, but is adopted from same root word that appears in German as hlanka, Middle Dutch as lanke and Early Middle English lonke, rel. lank
Old 09 Oct 04, 02:50
Private First Class
United_States

Cdubb23 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan
I think the Air Force is currently more concerned in dealing with their Academy rape scandals, drug scandals and cheating scandals to worry too much about catchy phrases. I could maybe recommend "He's got real suction; he's a jet pilot?" A little wordy, but it kind of captures some of the more delicate nuances while retaining that all important essence of maculinity so critical to maintaining morale.
Trust me when I say this, our culture is changing. The rape scandals, although a tarnishing spot on our wonderful institution, are being dealt with and our latest survey shows great improvement in many areas in dealing with sexual assault, racial and religious jokes/slurs/comments, and many other areas. Although the public does not know it, there are many institutions asking our superintendent for advice on how to fix their sexual assault issues. As far as drug scandals go, that was only a few cadets, most of which are soon to leave, or have already left our ranks. The point is, we have embraced change, and the masculinity that was once a foundation of the Academy culture is now part of a mostly bygone era. Any cadet should be proud to be a part of the changes to a system that will in the end result in better, professional, leaders of character.

Here are a few academy words for you:

Doolie- a name often used by upperclassmen when speaking of the fourthclassmen (freshmen). It is derived from the Greek "duolos" which means slave. Although this may have been an accurate description in the old system, this term is not used in a demeaning manner, but now is more often a term of endearment.

SMACK- actually an acronym meaning "Soldier Minus Ability, Character, and Knowledge" This was also used when describing the fourthclass, although this term has been used less and less in the past several years and is now only a rare occurance.

Last edited by Cdubb23; 09 Oct 04 at 02:53..
Old 09 Oct 04, 10:49
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams
Hog, thanks for the "heads up". Are you of Welsh decent?
No, Irish, in fact - but I have a great interest of all things Celtic. Also, a good friend from my service in Germany was Welsh, and fiercely proud of it. He spoke English, Welsh, Scots (mother was Scottish), and German.

It is a long read, but the book is superb - great deal of detail, meticulously researched, and most of all, very readable.
Old 09 Oct 04, 10:55
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams
I have had an interest in word origins for some time. I must have 6-8 books on the subject. I just haven't had the time recently to peruse them.
Would you mind supplying the titles. I have found only a couple and they are not all too comprehensive. I plan to buy the comprehensive Oxford English Dictionary when it is in the budget.

Also, if you are interested, read a book called "The Story of English", by Robert MacNeil - most interesting, and noting that English has virtually no original words, it has borrowed from essetially every other language. To the chagrin of some, I am known to refer to English as the "mutt language" or the "***** language". I far prefer Gaelic, but have never been able to find a teacher.
Old 09 Oct 04, 11:02
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
My humble apologies for the "cohort" error. I will out on my deck decimating myself.

I know about the Academy terms; my good friend and neighbor up here on the mountain is an instructor at the Academy. I doubt the doolies would agree with you that things are any more lenient or user-friendly than before. It is basic human nature to want to lord it over others, and nowhere is it worse than at service academies.

My point about the Academy was not that it is not dealing with problems, but that catchy phrases are the least priority at the moment. One of my other neighbors is a former Air Force captain who was also an instructor at the Academy. She left as a result of a sexual assault while she was a senior cadet, never adeqautely investigated nor the perps punished although clearly identified, after being unable to deal with the post-traumatic stress adequately. It will take more than catchy phrases to compensate her for her suffering, humilation and loss; meanwhile, the perps are now senior officers in good standing. One of them is currently in a cushy little billet at the Academy, in fact. As Frost put: "...miles to go before I sleep..."

However, that is not the current thread, and might best be served on a thread of its own.

"Black Lions, Sir!"
Old 10 Oct 04, 16:42
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver
Would you mind supplying the titles. I have found only a couple and they are not all too comprehensive. I plan to buy the comprehensive Oxford English Dictionary when it is in the budget.

Also, if you are interested, read a book called "The Story of English", by Robert MacNeil - most interesting, and noting that English has virtually no original words, it has borrowed from essetially every other language. To the chagrin of some, I am known to refer to English as the "mutt language" or the "***** language". I far prefer Gaelic, but have never been able to find a teacher.
I will check on the titles for you. I own the MacNeil book and it is one of my favorites. It and the PBS series that inspired it is what first attracted me to word origins. Being of Welsh decent I have had a simular (and as yet unfulfill) wish to learn Welsh. From what I understand its a rather difficult language to master as a second language, God knows the spellings are cryptic enough...........

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 10 Oct 04, 17:08
ACG Editor in Chief
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

JD Morelock is on the path to success [1-99] JD Morelock is on the path to success [1-99] JD Morelock is on the path to success [1-99]
Story of English (Book & PBS Series)

Robert MacNeil's book and the excellent PBS series it accompanied are really eye-opening, and both are in my library. If you recall, MacNeil referred to English as a "creole" language, meaning, essentially, what hogdriver noted in his last posting, ie we just incorporated bits and pieces of every other language as we needed them while the language was developing.

The inconsistent spelling in our language, according to MacNeil is principally the result of the language developing faster than dictionaries could be written...everybody just made up their own spelling, some of these entering into general usage. Drives my wife (who's a native Russian speaker) absolutely up the wall (I just counter with something like, "Well, at least we don't use all those funny-looking letters that look like "pi" symbols or little triangles." Usually fails to impress her, and she just wanders off muttering something that sounds like 'ee-dee--yot'...).
Old 11 Oct 04, 10:25
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver

Hog, Well here's the list of books I own that are language related. I guess I hadn't checked the true tally in a while when I said 6-8.......

***** Should Be Required Reading For Any English Speaker
**** Highly Recommended
*** Usefull Addition to Library
** Some Parts Interesting
* Not Worth Buying

-*** The Word Dective By Evan Morris

-*** They Have A Word For It By Howard Rheingold

-** The Miricle Of Language By Richard Lederer

-**** Amo, Amas, Amat and More (How To Use Latin To Your Own Advantage and To The Astonishment of Others) By Eugene Ehrlich

-****Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English By Eric Partridge

-***** The Story of English By McCrum, Cran and MacNeil.....Absolutely essential reading for anyone even remotely interested in language.....failure to read is at your own risk.

-**** The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations

-*** English Roots By Robert Claiborne

-** The King's English BY Kingsley Amis

-**** The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way By Bill Bryson

-**** Wicked Words By Hugh Rawson

-**** The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language

-**** The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language

-**** Encylopedia of Word and Phrase Origins By Robert Hendrickson

Last edited by Lance Williams; 11 Oct 04 at 10:37..
Old 11 Oct 04, 11:29
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Gone for a Burton

WWII RAF slang for missing or killed in action. Derived from the advertisements for Burton ale, brewed by the Bass company at Burton-on-Trent. They ran a series of ads just before the war featuring a setting with one person missing - an empty seat at a dinner table, or the theater, and so forth. The tag line was always the same: "Gone for a Burton."

deadline: an absolute time limit or due date. Derived from a practice at the brutal Anderson Prison during the American Civil War. Guards there drew a line around the inside of the prison, 17 feet from the walls. Anyone crossing this line was assumed to be attempting to escape and was summarily shot. The line was known as "the deadline", and the term came to stand for any absolute, ironclad 'or else' limit.

Dreadnought: a term derived from the British battleship of the same name, which came to symbolize the modern, heavily armored, all-one-caliber heavy battleship.

The term dreives from the origin of the name of the original battleship which was the English phrase: "Fear God, and dread nought."

Last edited by Mountain Man; 11 Oct 04 at 11:45..
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Oct 04, 12:16
United_States

A few related words for pirate lovers.....

pirate - so called since the 14th Century, take their name from the Latin pirata meaning "to attack".They are sea raiders who operate without any authorization except that of their own greed

privateer - Privateers operate with the concent of a government, usually their own. Privateers are privately owned vessels that in England were licensed under Letter of Marque and Reprisal to capture ships in time of war. A captain who had such authorization would not be charged with piracy.

corsair - Corsair , which came into English in the late 16th Century, was a Spanish word for someone between a pirate and a privateer

buccaneer - Buccaneer was the name applied to themselves by the sea raiders roaming the Caribbean. The word derives from the boucanes , the little dome-shaped smokehouses, on Hispaniola Island, where strips of boar meat and beef were smoked dry over a slow fire. The men who smoked viande boucanee , or "jerky", and sold it in bundles of a hundred for six pieces of eight were called boucaniers , "smokers of meat". Pirates in the area so often brought this dried meat from the boucaniers , that they began to be called boucaniers or buccaneers too.

Last edited by Lance Williams; 11 Oct 04 at 12:19..
Old 11 Oct 04, 12:44
United_States

forlorn hope - The Dutch called a small squad of volunteer soldiers assigned to an extremely perilous mission a verloren hoop , "lost troop". Such a squad of doomed death-defiers was called enfants perdus ("lost children") by the French, verloren Kinder by the Germans, and in modern times would be called shock troops or point men in the U.S. Army. Though verloren does not mean "forlorn" and hoop does not mean "hope", the Dutch words sound like those English words, and verloren hoop was spelled forlorn hope by the Englishmen. The expression was first applied to simular bands of English soldiers picked to lead attacks, but by 1641 forlorn hope's common meaning of any undertaking almost surely doomed to failure was established.

Old 11 Oct 04, 12:50
United_States

genocide - Acts intended to destroy national, ethnic, racial, or religious groups are called genocide , the word based on the Greek genos , "race", and the Latin cadere , "to kill". the word was invented by Professor Raphael Lemkin and used in the official indictment of Nazi criminals in 1945.

Old 11 Oct 04, 12:59
United_States

One for 17poundr

Molitov cocktail - This "cocktail for Molotov" was so named by the Finns while fighting the Russians in 1940. the Russians were dropping bombs on Helsinki at the time, but Russian statesman Molotov claimed that they were only dropping food and drink to their comrades. This equation of food and drink with bombs quickly resulted in the black-humorous term Molotov breadbasket for an inceniary bomb and then Molotov cocktails for a gasoline-filled bottle with a slow burning wick that is ignited before the crude inceniary is thrown; when the bottle hits the ground it bursts and the ignited gasoline spreads over its target. The weapon had first been used by the Chinese against Japanese tanks in 1937.

Old 11 Oct 04, 13:14
United_States

spoils of war - The spoils here are valuable goods, not ruined things, and take their name from the Latin spolium , "the hide stripped from an animal." Thus anything stripped from a country after it lost a war became known as "spoils".

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!