StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 27 Sep 04, 21:51
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
Military word origins

This will be a recurring feature in the Modern Conflict forum, appearing every two to four weeks. Please feel free to submit military terminology that you would like to know the origin of.

1. reconaissance - from obsolete French reconnoitre (recognize) <-- Latin recognoscere (know again). Recognize also comes from this Latin root word.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Sep 04, 11:16
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
FUBAR - from the ancient Germanic for "Sir, it isn't working again."
Old 28 Sep 04, 16:25
Hero Yet Living In The Hearts Of All He Touched
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Richa333 is on the path to success [1-99] Richa333 is on the path to success [1-99] Richa333 is on the path to success [1-99] Richa333 is on the path to success [1-99] Richa333 is on the path to success [1-99] Richa333 is on the path to success [1-99]
FUBAR: heh heh: F*****d Up Beyond All Recognition

LIEUTENANT (noun) A person who holds a position auxiliary to another and assumes some of the superior's responsibilities. -Roget's

Quote:
LIEUTENANT: 1a. abbr. LT or Lt. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above lieutenant junior grade and below lieutenant commander. b. A first lieutenant. c. A second lieutenant. d. One who holds the rank of lieutenant, first lieutenant, or second lieutenant. 2. (lf-tnnt) A commissioned officer in the British and Canadian navies ranking just below a lieutenant commander. 3. An officer in a police or fire department ranking below a captain. 4. One who acts in place of or represents a superior; an assistant or deputy.
-American Heritage Dictionary
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English "deputy" from Old French lieu-tenant "place-holder" (in the sense of replacement).

HISTORY: Through the Age Of Sail, naval lieutenants were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. according to their seniority. Army lieutenants (a "rank" or military position first noted in the 1300's), on the other hand, were always deputies of a higher rank: thus, "Lieutenant" alone meant an Army Captain's deputy, Lieutenant-Colenel the Colenel's deputy, etc. Not until the mid 1800's were Naval and Army Lieutenants formed into their current ranks: Lt jg & Lt, 2nd & 1st Lt, etc.

BRITISH: I love how the British pronounce this as 'Leftenant,' that is SO COOL!
Old 28 Sep 04, 16:33
Supreme Ruler of the Universe
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richa333
BRITISH: I love how the British pronounce this as 'Leftenant,' that is SO COOL!
But of course...

In contrast, I like the German pronunciation - "Loit-nant".

Dr. S.
Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk
Old 28 Sep 04, 16:47
Lance Corporal
United_States

tws71669 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Sinister
But of course...

In contrast, I like the German pronunciation - "Loit-nant".

Dr. S.
I always thought the Brits were ordering a bug to turn left... you know-
"left-turn-ant..."
Old 28 Sep 04, 16:55
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan
FUBAR - from the ancient Germanic for "Sir, it isn't working again."
SNAFU - ancient Germanic for "The Lieutenant continued to ignore the Platoon Sgt.'s advice"
Situation Normal, All F***** Up
Old 29 Sep 04, 04:16
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richa333
HISTORY: Through the Age Of Sail, naval lieutenants were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. according to their seniority. Army lieutenants (a "rank" or military position first noted in the 1300's), on the other hand, were always deputies of a higher rank: thus, "Lieutenant" alone meant an Army Captain's deputy, Lieutenant-Colenel the Colenel's deputy, etc. Not until the mid 1800's were Naval and Army Lieutenants formed into their current ranks: Lt jg & Lt, 2nd & 1st Lt, etc.
During the South's all-too-short independence, Artillery companies (as they were called then) had four lieutenants, a senior and junior first lieutenant, and a senior and junior second lieutenant.

During the war with Mexico, the Army still had Ensigns, but I'm not sure if the officers in that position were the most junior second lieutenant, or if they were junior to all the lieutenants in a company. This rank is now used only by the Navy, of course, for it's most junior commissioned officers.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 29 Sep 04, 11:15
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos
During the South's all-too-short independence, Artillery companies (as they were called then) had four lieutenants, a senior and junior first lieutenant, and a senior and junior second lieutenant.

During the war with Mexico, the Army still had Ensigns, but I'm not sure if the officers in that position were the most junior second lieutenant, or if they were junior to all the lieutenants in a company. This rank is now used only by the Navy, of course, for it's most junior commissioned officers.

If I recall correctly the Ensigns in the US Army ranked behind 2nd Lieutenants. They were the bridge between Cadets the real officers. I think they were the equivelant of WOs back then.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 30 Sep 04, 15:59
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build 

CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900] CPangracs has earned the respect of all [900]
Hooah!

hooah (hoo ah) adj., adv., n., v., conj., interj., excla. [Orig. unknown] Slang. 1. Referring to or meaning anything and everything except "no". 2. What to say when at a loss for words. 3.a. Good copy. b. Roger. c. Solid copy. d. Good. e. Great. f. Message received. g. Understood. h. Acknowledged. 4.a. Glad to meet you. b. Welcome. 5. "All right!" 6.a. I don't know the answer, but I'll check on it. b. I haven't the foggiest idea. 7. I am not listening. 8. "That is enough of your drivel; sit down!" 9. Yes. 10. "You've got to be kidding me!" 11. Thank you. 12. Go to the next slide. 13. You've taken the correct action. 14. I don't know what that means, but I'm too embarassed to ask for clarification. 15. Squared away (He's pretty hooah.) 16. Amen!

Old 30 Sep 04, 16:32
Supreme Ruler of the Universe
Sinc
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800] Doctor Sinister gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPangracs
hooah (hoo ah) adj., adv., n., v., conj., interj., excla. [Orig. unknown] Slang. 1. Referring to or meaning anything and everything except "no". 2. What to say when at a loss for words. 3.a. Good copy. b. Roger. c. Solid copy. d. Good. e. Great. f. Message received. g. Understood. h. Acknowledged. 4.a. Glad to meet you. b. Welcome. 5. "All right!" 6.a. I don't know the answer, but I'll check on it. b. I haven't the foggiest idea. 7. I am not listening. 8. "That is enough of your drivel; sit down!" 9. Yes. 10. "You've got to be kidding me!" 11. Thank you. 12. Go to the next slide. 13. You've taken the correct action. 14. I don't know what that means, but I'm too embarassed to ask for clarification. 15. Squared away (He's pretty hooah.) 16. Amen!

Thank you so much for posting this - I've always wondered...

Anyone know when "Hooah" first came into use?

Dr. S.
Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk
Sponsored Links

Old 30 Sep 04, 16:37
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Is there a difference between:

Hooah! and Hooo-rahhh!
Old 30 Sep 04, 22:03
General of the Forums
United_States
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
Hoo-ah!: Army
OOO-Rah!: Marines
Boo-yah!: Navy
I'm to tired: Air Force (no offense intended what do you say?)

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte
Old 01 Oct 04, 00:27
Lieutenant General
United_States

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
Note - Please read before posting

As amusing as some of the replies have been, this is imtended to be rather more of an intellectual thread. Preferably, any replies will be as indicated in the initial post. Thank you.
Old 01 Oct 04, 19:23
Lieutenant General
Finland

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver
As amusing as some of the replies have been, this is imtended to be rather more of an intellectual thread. Preferably, any replies will be as indicated in the initial post. Thank you.
Does the word' Battalion', come from the medieval english formation of bowmen known as a 'battle?'...

Or has it have another kind of relationship to the word 'to do battle'?...
mr poundr

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01 Oct 04, 19:27
Lieutenant General
Finland

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17poundr
Does the word' Battalion', come from the medieval english formation of bowmen known as a 'battle?'...

Or has it have another kind of relationship to the word 'to do battle'?...
mr poundr
Sorry meant to press the 'edit',

anyway,

how about the navy's Aye, aye?

Where does the word Sir, come from?
(I know it has something to do with knighthood...)

A teaser,
do you know what the ww2 era brit military slang term 'Stonk' stands for???

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by 17poundr; 01 Oct 04 at 19:31..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!