StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 27 Dec 15, 04:21
Private
Germany

GeorgElser is a balanced individual [0]
An ancient battle, a sea-born creature and a detail from an ancient map

Hello folks, as a (mostly) reader-only of this forum, I am back with a problem. A couple of years ago you helped me answering a difficult riddlelike question, so I will try again. I am looking for an ancient battle. There are two paths given to answer this question.

A map, probably part of an atlas, contains the drawing shown in the picture attattched. The creature shown - the drawing does not represent its real shape - was mentioned in ancient works by Aristoteles and Plinius the elder. It comes in swarms and is said to be dangerous for shipping. I think its teredo navalis, the naval shipworm, as mentioned in the historia naturalis of Plinius. This creature is said to have influnced the outcome of an ancient battle. I am searching for this specific battle.

The map itself is part of an ancient atlas, of which only one exists. The man who has drawn it has experienced himself the devastating effects of this creature. The map is based on the knowledge this man has acquired as the treasurer of all the experiences and knowledge of a seagoing nation.

So this is it. I am stuck with this question since I cannot find out exactly who the creature is. Likewise, the list of ancient battles, whether naval ones or landbound with elements of the sea, is endless.

So maybe some of you have the special knowledge needed to identify the battle. I would appreciate your help very much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schulquiz 2015-2 001_Bild-2.jpg (65.7 KB, 21 views)
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Dec 15, 11:49
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
It is I think a Remora or sucker fish. There was an ancient superstition referred to by Pliny, Plutarch, Athenagus, Lucan and Oppian as it being able to stop a ship dead in the water. Ovid said of it There, too, is the little sucking fish, wondrous to behold, a vast obstruction to ships."
It was still believed by some as late as Nelsons time
Mark Anthony was said to have lost the Battle of Actium because one delayed his galley
Old 28 Dec 15, 12:08
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Further to this
Quote:
In 77–79 AD, Pliny published his enormous Naturalis Historia encyclopedia, one of the largest single texts we have left from the Roman Empire. In it, he describes the phenomenon of the 'ship-holder' - an eel-sized fish with a suction disc that could bring warships to a halt despite the force of violent seas, whirlwinds, and storms. And not just any warships: Pliny blamed remoras for the defeat of Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium in 31 BC and hints that they were indirectly responsible for the assassination of Gaius Caligula.
Scientific American February 4, 2013 http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...harksucker.jpg

Pliny may have been a Roman Admiral but he was also amazingly credulous.
Old 28 Dec 15, 13:25
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Looks like a sea pig to me.
Old 28 Dec 15, 13:52
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Looks like a sea pig to me.
As Sea Pigs are extremofiles from the deepest oceans it would seem a mite unlikely that the ancients would have the slightest awareness of them
Old 28 Dec 15, 14:29
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
As Sea Pigs are extremofiles from the deepest oceans it would seem a mite unlikely that the ancients would have the slightest awareness of them
Exactly. But I was referring to the ones that you find only on old maps of the world. Those maps were pretty fanciful, with dragons, sea-serpents, etc. I lump the lot under the term "sea pigs".
Old 28 Dec 15, 15:04
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Exactly. But I was referring to the ones that you find only on old maps of the world. Those maps were pretty fanciful, with dragons, sea-serpents, etc. I lump the lot under the term "sea pigs".
As the OP stated that the illustration was not of the actual creature I'm not sure where this gets us.
Old 28 Dec 15, 15:32
Private
Germany

Thank you for the new ideas!
Old 28 Dec 15, 17:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
As the OP stated that the illustration was not of the actual creature I'm not sure where this gets us.
Of course it isn't, I doubt that the "actual creature" ever existed.
Old 28 Dec 15, 17:43
Private
Germany

Quote:
It is I think a Remora or sucker fish. There was an ancient superstition referred to by Pliny, Plutarch, Athenagus, Lucan and Oppian as it being able to stop a ship dead in the water. Ovid said of it There, too, is the little sucking fish, wondrous to behold, a vast obstruction to ships."
It was still believed by some as late as Nelsons time
Mark Anthony was said to have lost the Battle of Actium because one delayed his galley
This is it, thank you, Mark.
I even found the map, which is the one Sebastian Cabot made, only one is left. Cabot was Pilot Mayor of the spanish Casa de Contratación and upon studying the map i found the drawing of creature. Plinius is mentioned in the opening sentence of the text above the drawing, further translation will take some time, my spanish is very rudimentary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weltkarte.jpg (266.8 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!