StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 07 Dec 15, 11:57
Captain
United_States
Model Forum Group Build Model Forum Group Build Victor 

Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99] Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99] Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99] Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99] Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99] Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99] Armored Fist is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
Pretty long post including your post from 2007 explaining why you don't have time to post.....I am surprised that you found time to make the post.....
HA! +1.
Old 07 Dec 15, 14:24
Major General
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200]
the issue at hand

The thread is morphing (yet again!) into a post about ME
Demi-God though I am, there is a danger it might be shut-down because of that.
I'll address some of your concerns a bit later (around 2018).
In the meantime can we please stick to the issue I'm interested in :
The way the NRA exerts it's influence.

I'm especially interested in hearing from members of the organisation.

Regards lodestar
Old 07 Dec 15, 14:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well Lodestar you might start off with perusing the NRA-ILA website and have a informed pov. It'd give common talking points and the thoughts behind them.

https://www.nraila.org/

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 07 Dec 15, 15:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Ahem...
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
"We have reached the stage where satire is prophecy"
-Theodore Dalrymple
Old 07 Dec 15, 15:44
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestar View Post
The thread is morphing (yet again!) into a post about ME
Demi-God though I am, there is a danger it might be shut-down because of that.
I'll address some of your concerns a bit later (around 2018).
In the meantime can we please stick to the issue I'm interested in :
The way the NRA exerts it's influence.

Regards lodestar

Well, I wasn't a member, but after I saw this thread and realized how powerful the NRA was, I joined the organization last night.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 07 Dec 15, 16:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:

Regards lodestar
I'm a Life Member of the NRA. It has influence not so much because of its money, but due to its large number of members (read "votes"). I don't agree with everything they say, but if they weren't around, the antis would have free reign.
Old 07 Dec 15, 17:06
General of the Forums
United_States

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
I am a member, what would you like to discuss?
Old 07 Dec 15, 17:28
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns624 View Post
I'm a Life Member of the NRA. It has influence not so much because of its money, but due to its large number of members (read "votes"). I don't agree with everything they say, but if they weren't around, the antis would have free reign.
I am a Life/Endowment Member as well and have been one since 1967 and I also don't agree with everything the NRA says and does, but I would hate to think about where we as gun owners would be if it weren't for the NRA especially the last 30 years or so.
Old 07 Dec 15, 20:28
Major General
Australia

lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200]
What the NRA stands for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
I am a member, what would you like to discuss?
Thanks for asking.

In Australian media commentary circles the organisation is nearly always portrayed as haters, paranoids, borderline loonies, right-wing conspiracy theorists, constitution warpers with thinly disguised malignant racist and quasi-fascist under-currents.

Fair call?
Obviously not - it's exaggerated and unfair I'm sure.

. I get it supports and pushes for the right to bear arms granted by the wording of the constitution AND the responsible care and use of those weapons by law-abiding citizens going about their lawful activities.

. I get people in the NRA want to feel that owning guns 'makes them feel safe'.

. I don't know the figures but I'm sure most US gun-homicides are NOT committed by NRA members.

. I get most members have jobs, pay taxes, vote (definitely!), don't have criminal records and drive responsibly.

How am I doing?
Cripes maybe I should sign up?

However given all that, why oh why and how oh how did friggin' it end up as the most powerful lobby group in the country with the power to make or break some politicians?

The coup of 1977 seems to be the real starting point for its (in the view of as I have said, nearly all commentators in Australia) now baleful influence on the American body politic and it's role in the continued development and maintenance of the 'gun-culture'?

How does the lobbying work?
How do you spread your 'word' (propaganda?)
If you definitely don't want a rep elected to congress or state legislature, what do you do?

All I got time for now ( I mean it - I am very limited in the time I can spend 'on-line' despite being retied for four years)

Regards
lodestar
Old 07 Dec 15, 20:34
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Also the NRA has some of the best and most available gun safety courses.

http://www.safetyfirstfirearmtrainin...A_Courses.html

It's not a bunch of crazies, its a organization dedicated to safe firearm ownership.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Sponsored Links

Old 07 Dec 15, 21:42
General of the Forums
United_States

Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Thanks for asking.

In Australian media commentary circles the organisation is nearly always portrayed as haters, paranoids, borderline loonies, right-wing conspiracy theorists, constitution warpers with thinly disguised malignant racist and quasi-fascist under-currents.

Fair call?
Obviously not - it's exaggerated and unfair I'm sure.

. I get it supports and pushes for the right to bear arms granted by the wording of the constitution AND the responsible care and use of those weapons by law-abiding citizens going about their lawful activities.

. I get people in the NRA want to feel that owning guns 'makes them feel safe'.

. I don't know the figures but I'm sure most US gun-homicides are NOT committed by NRA members.

. I get most members have jobs, pay taxes, vote (definitely!), don't have criminal records and drive responsibly.

How am I doing?
Cripes maybe I should sign up?
Doing well except for the part that I whited out. IMO; Owning guns is more about personal responsibility than it is about feeling safe.

Quote:
However given all that, why oh why and how oh how did friggin' it end up as the most powerful lobby group in the country with the power to make or break some politicians?
In 1995 the had a major screw up with the "Jack Booted Thug" comment:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/11/us...sociation.html

Since that time they have changed their methods of engaging the public. The anti gun lobby will always project the NRA as being heavy handed lunitics....it appears that a substantial part of the American public isn't falling for it.

You have a pretty good grasp of how the anti gun lobby is spreading their propaganda, with that in mind take a look at this five minute video and tell me what you think....svp.

https://www.nranews.com/series/wayne...-violent-crime
Old 07 Dec 15, 21:49
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Also the NRA has some of the best and most available gun safety courses.

http://www.safetyfirstfirearmtrainin...A_Courses.html

It's not a bunch of crazies, its a organization dedicated to safe firearm ownership.
I went to my son's BSA summer camp this year. There were a couple of the Scouts that couldn't meet he requirements for the shotgun & rifle merit badges.

I asked the counselor if I could help....he welcomed the help because he couldn't get the boys on target.

The first one I worked with I was able to identify what he was doing wrong, correct it and then he qualified. After he shot his last clay I told him to clear the weapon, place it on safe and put it in the rack.

The counselor came up to me and thanked me, told me that he would really appreciate it if I help the other Scouts get qualified....he also told me that I had to watch my mouth. The 'w' word was forbidden by the NRA and the NRA sanctions the BSA.

The 'w' word was weapon.....can't say weapon on a NRA range....
Old 08 Dec 15, 07:59
Major General
Australia

The NRA explains itself? Should lodestar give them a fair hearing?

[QUOTE=Nichols;3145073]
Quote:
Owning guns is more about personal responsibility than it is about feeling safe.
Elaborate please.

Quote:
You have a pretty good grasp of how the anti gun lobby is spreading their propaganda, with that in mind take a look at this five minute video and tell me what you think....svp.

I'm not sure I should.
What if it challenges my pre-existing preconceptions and long-established prejudices?

A change in lodestar's position on a certain issue?

My granddaddy did not spend four years in the WWI trenches, including two stints at Verdun (trusty Lebel M1886/M93 in hand) and my pappy did not spend five years in the custody of the Reich for their offspring to come to this.

I will consider my 'options'

Regards
lodestar
Old 08 Dec 15, 09:35
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
In Australian media commentary circles...
Completely unimportant, irrelevant...and who the hell cares here?
Old 08 Dec 15, 09:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
CRIPES!!

I have explained in some detail before, some years ago that I don't post as much as I'd like to .....COZ, I'M FRIGGIN' BUSY!!!

Here is the post from Oct 25 2007 explaining my position re this matter.
Little has changed in the intervening eight years:

I DON'T STAY AWAY COZ I"M AFRAID OR COZ I 'm TROLLING. I SIMPLY CAN'T SPENT MORE TIME THAN I DO.

SHEESH

I'm amazed that some of you react the way you do to my absence(s)
Also amazed that some of you think my OP is an anti-gun or anti-US 'rant'

Most Australians simply find the US 'gun scene' a bizarre and very unsettling phenomenon.

This is an important albeit very divisive issue and I'm glad it has generated some robust discussion.
I'd hate to see it closed down because I'm not participating enough.

Please understand, I don't respond as much as I'd want to because I have limitations (as my wife endlessly reminds me!) on the time I can spend on the Forum.

Fair enough?

Excellent discussion.
Seasons greetings to all in the US.
I'd ban you if I could.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!