StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 24 Sep 15, 09:33
Brigadier General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
Blood & Glory: Gerry rafferty sings The Colonial Man's Lament

Hello to all....wherever you are

The music of Gerry Rafferty, Scottish folk-Rock and Poetic Rock muscian, contains a song from one of his three commercial bands, that is quite relevant to this period and forum.

Rafferty formed a group, who issued, all the way back in 1969, a self titled album, "The Humblebums".
One of the tracks contains a hauntingly beautiful and lyricly relevant song called "Blood and Glory", which I wish to familiarize you with, lyrically speaking.
Performed with then folk Banjo player, fellow Scot, Billy Connally, The Humblebums released only two albums. The music still resonates down the years, and I now present the lyrics to you, simple, short and direct as they are, in the hope that you may pick up this somg, somewhere, and put it on for your listening pleasure.

I'm pretty sure the words themselves were written by Rafferty, but the sentiments expressed, the colonial style of music, and Rafferty's voice, all contribute to something anyone interested in this period will find rewarding.

Here they are then.....the words of BLOOD AND GLORY

Don't ya' feel like talk'in
To a man whose fed up walk'in,
All the ti-i-i-ime,

Don't ya' feel like say'in,
To a man whose fed up pray'in,
That your mi-i-i-i-ine.

We fought a lotta' battles,
From Nebraska to Seattle,
I'm so ti-i-i-ired,

We hid in lonely places,
And we ne-ver seen the faces,
Till' they fir-i-i-i-ired.

(Chorus)
Well hear me talk'in,
(Blood an' glor-y)
I'm fed up walk'in,
(Blood an' glory)
I'll tell a story,
(Blo-od an' glor-ry)
About blood and glory

When we threw away our sabres,
and we joined with Preston's raiders,
For a whi-i-i-ile,
We looted and we plundered,
While the Yankee cannons thundered,
We just smi-i-i-i-iled,
But now i'm back home in Kentuckey,
An' I know that I've bin' lucky,
To survi-i-i-i-ive,
I never want to see another cannon aimed at me,
While I'm ali-i-i-i-ive,

(Chrorus)

The Humbelbum's Billy Connally used to feature a witty banter between songs that became a feature of their stage act. They went on the produce another album, in the early seventies, but Rafferty's undoubted talent with songwriting, and continued reluctance to push the humblebums any further, spilit the group.

The lyrics above were no doubt inspired by either Colonial period veteran blues, (from the French & Indian Wars), or by Revolutionary period veterans returning from guerilla raiding, "fed up", as Rafferty put it, with all they had seen and done, and even appealing to his wife for understanding.

It's a multi-layered, complex set of lyrics, crammed into a very small package. Influenced heavily by Paul McCartney, especially in length, this song should give anyone interested in this period a real treat, evocative of a campfire lament from a bygone age.
Mention of "Preston's Raiders" got my attention. I'm Sure that this was an actual unit. And the sentiments, "I never want to see another cannon aimed at me" are just a marvelous example of modern poetic songwriting that can bring alive a bygone age.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to post a musical link....(AWwwwww)

You'll have to do this yourself. It's only a short song, but have a look at other Humblebum's tracks, including, "Steamboat Row", and "Please Sing A Song for Us", all worthy examples of Rafferty's unique folk-poetic style, something he took to his other band 'Steelers Wheel", before he went solo with albums like "Baker Street", a massive album, and very influential to this day.

Gerry Rafferty died in 2011.

check him out.

Christopher

Last edited by Drusus Nero; 24 Sep 15 at 20:29..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!