StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 19 Aug 15, 11:55
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
WORST Board Games You Have Played

A thread to list any of the stinkers you have come by. There's been a few purchases I have regretted.

Actually I was highly suspicious going in that this game would be a cheap attempt to cash in on the movie but it was cheap where I found it so I gave it a try. Game gets serious negative points for not understanding what makes the subject interesting. In the game you gather your rabble, invade various districts and.....have an election?

And apparently stand by the results too with nary a gang fight.

I saw the word politics but I thought it would be ROUGH politics. This was just a disappointment and with strange rules too.

Age of War was another cheapie. Nice artwork but all they did was knock off the dice system from Arkham Horror and create a game of castle grabbing that is 90% frustration and 0% strategy.

Yeah, I knew from the get go that this was an attempt on cashing in on the online game. The card art is gorgeous but what ruins the game is the lack of effort put into stats and the fact that defeating your enemy in battle isn't the real objective. The various tanks are given a simple attack and defense value of 1-2. That's it. And victory in the game revolves around accomplishing various "achievements". You do get "medals" (points) for killing tanks and taking bases but not nearly as many as you get for the achievements which tend to revolve around collecting specific kinds and nationalities of tanks - making this game less Fury and more Pokémon.

I really liked the card art though so I made a set of house rules to de-suckify the game.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Aug 15, 14:47
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]

To give you an idea of how bad this game is:

From the game box:
"1530 HRS. THURSDAY JULY 2nd, 1944 - Spearheaded by 8 panzer corps, Panzer Armee Amerika today broke out of its embattled bridgehead north of Boston and split into 2 columns - one heading south for New York, the other striking inland towards Buffalo. Seven U.S. divisions aare reported trapped in the 'Pantucket Pocket'...

Seriously they misspell the word are on their game box.

Also there are things refereed to in the rules that do not exist in the game (airfield counters) when I wrote to the publisher they said that those referenced an earlier set of rules and had not been taken out from the production version, and this after it was a year late for play testing and finial production.
Old 19 Aug 15, 14:51
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Kingmaker. Or the game that never ends... Seriously, you get all ready to siege the last castle and your nobles are called all over the map then die from plagues...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 19 Aug 15, 15:13
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Chess...I never seem to win.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 19 Aug 15, 16:14
General of the Forums
Pirate

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Kingmaker. Or the game that never ends... Seriously, you get all ready to siege the last castle and your nobles are called all over the map then die from plagues...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker
Hey, I like Kingmaker!

But yeah it can be a neverending game.

It has a sister game called Samurai IIRC. Also a long one.
Old 16 Oct 15, 10:50
Brigadier General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
Samurai was a favourite of my circle...I wish I'd bought a copy.

Kingmaker was great for inroducing people to baord games. It was very colourful, but not a serious simulation.

Really bad games?

The Creature that Ate Sheboygan
Gunslinger
A magazine game I had about the Alamo....its rules were half baked, and it was absolutely impossible for the Mexicans to win with the printed victory conditions

AHs Submarine...a great concept, but terrible execution. Computers do a much better job of submarine warfar.

AH reprint of Dave Isbey's AIR FORCE...again, computers do a far better job. Ive yet to see a truly strategic Air game, but its a type that would have better suited the period.

AH's Richtofen's War had a lot of promise, but lack of simultanious movement turned it into a dierolling contest

Later Squad Leader gammettes added too much complexity, Cross of Iron and Crescendo of Doom were the peaks of the Series, although I'll probably get shouted down by the afficiendos. That game was at it's best with small numbers of pieces, where evry unit in your OB had to work for it's money. We used to enjoy scenarios for Street fighting, mainly, but the Giant Operation Marston was superb, as was Operation Hubertus. Scenarios like Hube's Pocket, or Action at Balberkamp were just well designed and very well balanced.

Christopher
Old 16 Oct 15, 17:17
General of the Forums
Pirate

Gunslinger???

As in this Gunslinger?

That's another one of my old favorites.

I have yet to find a Wild West board game that matches it. Come to think of it, I have yet to see ANY kind of a tactical shootout game be made since.

I also liked Richtofen's War but I agree that the movement rules hurt it. I loved it just because it had so many of the more obscure fighters. WWI games these days obsess over the icons like the Fokker Triplane but Ricky's War gave you the chance to tool around in an FE 2 or an E III.

I have to give them points just for giving so many options.
Old 16 Oct 15, 17:29
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Okay about never-ending games. How about Dune?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121/dune

If everybody is on their game it ends in exhaustion. Unplayable IMO.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 16 Oct 15, 20:45
ACG Forums - Field Marshall
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Chess...I never seem to win.
Chess is a racist game. Why do White always get to go first?

Chess is pro-monarchy game. Why always two Kings and never any Presidents or Prime Ministers?

Chess is a pro-Christianity game. Why always two Bishops and never a Mullah or a Bad-ass Monk?

Chess is an anti-American game. Why is a castle that can swap places with a King call a Rook? Rook is Persian word for those play pieces but no other pieces use a Persian word and only in English is a Rook a Rook while in other languages it is Castle.

Chess is a sexist game. Why always all Knights and never a single Damsel?

Chess is a feminist game. Why is the King forever a Wuss that needs to protect himself all the time while the mightiest warrior is always the Queen and also the only known female anyway near a gathering of geek chess gamers?

Chess is an elitist game. Why are the commoners always used as Pawns for the more powerful?

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

Last edited by Salinator; 17 Oct 15 at 17:10..
Old 16 Oct 15, 21:18
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Avalon-Hill's "North Africa" (If that was the correct name.)

Once the Brits establish a line the German/Italian forces can't muster up the power to make any significant attacks. If they get lucky the Brits just fall back three hexes.
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Oct 15, 23:45
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinator View Post
Chess is a racist game. Why do White always get to go first?

Chess is pro-monarchy game. Why always two Kings and never any Presidents or Prime Ministers?

Chess is a pro-Christianity game. Why always two Bishops and never a Mullah or a Bad-ass Monk?

Chess is an anti-American game. Why is a castle that can swap places with a King call a Rook? Rook is Persian word for those play pieces but no other pieces use a Persian word and only in English is a Rook a Rook while in other languages it is Castle.

Chess is a sexist game. Why always all Knights and never a single Damsel?

Chess is a feminist game. Why is the King forever a Wuss that needs to protect himself all the time while the mightiest warrior is always the only known female anyway near a gathering of geek chess gamers?

Chess is an elitist game. Why are the commoners always used as Pawns for the more powerful?
No in Chess you can promote a pawn to a queen. Have you ever won a game by promotion? Chess is a fine game of pure logic with tricks and traps. I love to pull off a revealed check. A rare event but oh boy when it works...

Btw up for a game? Better study the MCO first.

Last edited by Bwaha; 16 Oct 15 at 23:55..
Old 17 Oct 15, 03:14
Brigadier General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
We just didn't 'get' gunslinger at all.

Actually, we all agreed that the periods from shootout to shootout wer far more interesting than the shootouts themselves.

When we tried to design our own, we found the exact same thing that Richard Hamblin Did....all the historicals were either scrappy play free for alls, or ambushes with very little of the Old West in them.

Anyhow, it wasn't our cup of tea.

Funny enough, DUNE was. We loved it. We didn't find it to be never ending, because we had an agressive group.
Old 17 Oct 15, 03:32
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus Nero View Post
We just didn't 'get' gunslinger at all.

Actually, we all agreed that the periods from shootout to shootout wer far more interesting than the shootouts themselves.

When we tried to design our own, we found the exact same thing that Richard Hamblin Did....all the historicals were either scrappy play free for alls, or ambushes with very little of the Old West in them.

Anyhow, it wasn't our cup of tea.

Funny enough, DUNE was. We loved it. We didn't find it to be never ending, because we had an agressive group.
I guess we poke smot to much. But everybody contested each other so nobody won.

Old 11 Nov 15, 18:59
Private
Canada

Dismal Jimmy is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinator View Post
Why is a castle that can swap places with a King call a Rook? Rook is Persian word for those play pieces but no other pieces use a Persian word and only in English is a Rook a Rook while in other languages it is Castle.
But that's what "rook" means: A "castle". In Italian it's "rocca". It's just really obscure and few know it. Type "rocca" into google images for a graphic demonstration.
Old 11 Nov 15, 22:36
ACG Forums - Field Marshall
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Jimmy View Post
But that's what "rook" means: A "castle". In Italian it's "rocca". It's just really obscure and few know it. Type "rocca" into google images for a graphic demonstration.
I know what rook means. I was pointing out that rook is the only Chess play-piece that retained it's Persian name. My complaints about Chess were posted as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
No in Chess you can promote a pawn to a queen. Have you ever won a game by promotion? Chess is a fine game of pure logic with tricks and traps. I love to pull off a revealed check. A rare event but oh boy when it works...
Oh, I forgot that Chess promotes cross-dressing and polygamy in queening.

Quote:
Btw up for a game? Better study the MCO first.
I was State Champion for age group 12.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

Last edited by Salinator; 11 Nov 15 at 22:45..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!