StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Research, Reference and Historical Study > Science

Notices and Announcements

Science Discussions about hard science.

Old 05 Jul 15, 09:51
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
There must be a more efficient being in the universe than bags of blood which squirt all over when a hole is punched in us?
Old 05 Jul 15, 13:52
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Cockroaches.
Old 05 Jul 15, 17:17
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Probably true! We have to straighten out the "ivory tower" thinkers.
Old 05 Jul 15, 20:56
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
That whooshing sound was my joke going right over your heads...

Birds are the modern ancestors of dinosaurs... Hint, hint. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge...
I thought that whooshing sound was from the balloon that barely cleared land after you launched it. Hint, Hint Japanese Forest Fire balloons in WWII

I do have a post besides poking TAG.

I built a Unit for my AP classes that considered the religious aspect of ET contact. What if they:
Had no God
Had their own God
Had a God recognized on Earth (pick and chose)

The BofD, asked me to defend it. The Parents had no problem.
I've wondered if it could function as a Thread? Flame war? or a quality discussion? Of course it was based upon European contact in the New World.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 06 Jul 15, 13:13
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6 View Post
I thought that whooshing sound was from the balloon that barely cleared land after you launched it. Hint, Hint Japanese Forest Fire balloons in WWII

I built a Unit for my AP classes that considered the religious aspect of ET contact. What if they:
Had no God
Had their own God

I've wondered if it could function as a Thread? Flame war? or a quality discussion? Of course it was based upon European contact in the New World.

If we assume certain aspects of intelligent like to be similar, i.e., questions about mortality and such, a religion could be quite possible, but I doubt it would even remotely resemble one of our religions except possible in certain objectives.

But suppose that the alien life form had evolved from an insectoid model with a kind of hive mind - no need for a religion or a "god" of any sort, and unlikely to comprehend us with our religions.

I think the odds are high that religions would exist amongst some alien cultures, but also high that we would find them barely comprehensible, and equally possible that there might be no religion at all, for it would be equally creditable for a star traveling race to have outgrown religions and to be totally science oriented.

In other words, Yes, No...Maybe.
Old 06 Jul 15, 14:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6 View Post

Had no God
Had their own God

Here's a few more meet ET / how do things change scenarios you might try...

What if the Earth had 100% cloud cover 100% of the time. You can't see the stars, the sun is filtered through the clouds, as is the moon. How would man's perception of the universe have changed? How would it change when flight became possible and somebody flew above the clouds?

Or, what if Mars was larger and had life on it, like a second colder Earth? Or Venus was habitable with better rotation like a warmer second Earth?
How would having a second planet in our solar system with life on it have changed humanity's view of the universe?

Or, what if we were in a more "populated" part of the galaxy? That is, there were a dozen or more systems within one light year or less of us and one or more had detectable signals that indicated intelligent life was there?

Maybe tie some of this to the Drake Equation...
Old 10 Jul 15, 17:41
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100]
joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100] joea is a pillar of the community [1100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
médico que? El TARDIS?

Anyway...so Vulcans like Spock, Klingons the above mentioned (Mexican) Time Lord and sundry other humanoid aliens are not so far fetched??
Old 10 Jul 15, 20:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
médico que? El TARDIS?

Anyway...so Vulcans like Spock, Klingons the above mentioned (Mexican) Time Lord and sundry other humanoid aliens are not so far fetched??
That would seem the larger probability. Especially for sentient life that might have star traveling potential.

Two essentials for a species to develop industry and tech that could lead to space travel would be to make fire and melt metal out of ores.
Old 10 Jul 15, 23:26
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
médico que? El TARDIS?
Surely you mean El TURDIS?

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 11 Jul 15, 12:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Yea, but the Mexican Tardis requires a substancial mordita every time you want to go somewhere...
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Jul 15, 15:34
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
Yea, but the Mexican Tardis requires a substancial mordita every time you want to go somewhere...
And it slows down considerably every time someone raises the lid.
Old 12 Jul 15, 20:52
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
And it slows down considerably every time someone raises the lid.
It has a lid...?!
Old 12 Sep 16, 15:17
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Bump for reference.
Old 12 Sep 16, 16:36
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
There must be a more efficient being in the universe than bags of blood which squirt all over when a hole is punched in us?
Actually a being that had evolved from insects (non vertibrates with an exoskeleton) would be worse - we clot as our circulatory system reacts but they have their organs bathed in blood and would bleed out in seconds from just a small puncture. See A Dean Foster's Thranx.
Old 12 Sep 16, 18:38
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Actually a being that had evolved from insects (non vertibrates with an exoskeleton) would be worse - we clot as our circulatory system reacts but they have their organs bathed in blood and would bleed out in seconds from just a small puncture. See A Dean Foster's Thranx.
Or "Starship Troopers".

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!