StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 03 Jun 15, 04:00
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Canadian politics thread

We might as well get this started now. Although the election is not slated until 19 October, we have already pretty much entered the pre-campaign phase with Parliament winding down business.

Current polls seem to point to it being a three-way race.

NANOS

CPC 32
NDP 30
LPC 29

Abacus

CPS 31
NDP 28
LPC 28

EKOS

CPC 30
NDP 29
LPC 27

Ipsos
CPC 31
LPC 31
NDP 30

Main story so far seems to be a pronounced continuous decline in Liberal support since the fall of last year, which has only become worse since the onset of spring. The main causes appear to be a) the realization that Justin Trudeau is just not a capable leader and b) the decision of the Liberals to support passage of Bill C-51. The main recipient of the Liberal decline appears to be the NDP, with the Conservatives apparently flat-lining around the low 30s. This could explain the renewed Conservative ad campaign against the Liberals, as the Conservatives try to pry blue liberals from the LPC.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 03 Jun 15, 06:57
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200]
I typically vote Liberal but have voted conservative on occasion.

Whenever I hear anyone from the NDP speak or see their ads I still get the feeling their views of economics hasn't changed from the middle 20th century vision of government spending as an economic perpetual motion machine. In other words, primarily concerned with dividing up the economic pie rather than worrying about where the pie comes from.
Old 08 Jun 15, 10:04
General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
IF the NDP get "in" they will manage to screw up the country like they have done to every province (state) they ever ran......With their mentality if you have a job you are rich.....As for the other two (Con/Lib) trouble is I dont realy trust either of them....I the mean time good old Steven is off to the Ukrain/Russian affair telling of Putin and working on the Ukranian/Canadian votes for his up coming election....As Tiny Tim would say...God bless us every one....
Old 08 Jun 15, 17:15
Lieutenant General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Harper's motto when it comes to Foreign and Military affairs may as well be "Speak Loudly and Carry a Small Stick!" Because I'm not sure how cutting the DND budget helps stop Putin's war-games in Eastern Ukraine.

But hey, if it fools the idiots within his base while being cost effective...

Who cares I guess?

Quote:
Wrong, says the Conference of Defence Associations, a fiercely pro-military group whose experts concluded in a June report this year that, "adjusting for inflation, the defence budget is now smaller than it was in 2007."

In fact, the report found, defence cuts provided a quarter of all the current year's budget reductions. The CDA adds that, "in real terms, capital spending for major new equipment has declined four years in a row, and remains on a downward trend. DND [the Department of National Defence] has not spent 25 per cent of the amount allocated to replacing major equipment for four straight years. As a share of the defence budget, capital spending has dropped to the lowest level since 1977-​78."

Read More...
Old 09 Jun 15, 03:27
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Been less than thrilled with my Tories, but Justin has yet to prove he has any substance whatsoever and we haven't seen much policy out of the Liberals.

Harper will likely have my vote.
Old 12 Jun 15, 09:48
General
Canada

Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400] Bow has a spectacular aura about [400]
Yes!! a great choice we have....where is the good old Rhino Party when they are needed.....
Old 12 Jun 15, 19:35
Lieutenant General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400] Jonathanrex1 has a spectacular aura about [400]
One could always vote for the Marijuana Party and become so high that you forget the others exist!
Old 14 Jul 15, 18:46
General
Canada

I see our Stephen is getting lined up for the Canadain Election.....signed a Free Trade deal with the Ukraine and also gave them 45million......what the hell do we get from the Ukraine other than a bunch of free loaders and maybe some cheap Vodka or Cherry Brandy....
Old 18 Jul 15, 10:50
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200]
We just got our money (Child Tax Program).

I like having the money but am not sure this is the best use of the money in the current economy. If not general infrastructure, perhaps a sector investment that will encourage private sector investment and long term jobs.
Old 18 Jul 15, 12:38
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynelhutz View Post
We just got our money (Child Tax Program).
I like having the money but am not sure this is the best use of the money in the current economy. If not general infrastructure, perhaps a sector investment that will encourage private sector investment and long term jobs.
Why don't you donate the money to the Mother Canada fund?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...stephen-harper

Old 18 Jul 15, 12:49
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoblin View Post

LOL! I hadn't heard about that and I wish that was still the case.
Old 18 Jul 15, 18:46
Lieutenant General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:

We're going to build that statue you commie! Harper supports the troops!™

But the buggers better not expect any new equipment, keeping veteran centres open, or god-forbid, money! We're in tough economy times. The recession of which is totally not our fault, nor could we have foreseen it.
Old 20 Jul 15, 11:41
Pirate

Since I'm not in Canada now and do not get Canadian news other than the internet variety - a question for my fellow Canucks: what has happened with Trudeau? Has he disappeared? I haven't seen seen any stories or reports of speeches on his part for several months. Is he in hiding?
Old 20 Jul 15, 14:26
Lieutenant General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sparlingo has a spectacular aura about [400]
Sparlingo has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Since I'm not in Canada now and do not get Canadian news other than the internet variety - a question for my fellow Canucks: what has happened with Trudeau? Has he disappeared? I haven't seen seen any stories or reports of speeches on his part for several months. Is he in hiding?
Nothing major, there have been one very effective attack ad going after Trudeau by the Tories being played ad nauseum. It has these business people pretending to be reviewing resumes and concluding that he isn't ready, "the Prime Minister's job isn't an entry level job".

Worst part for Trudeau is a surge from the NDP putting the Liberals in a squeeze, if they go right they lose on the left and visa versa. NDP leader has been looking more moderate lately and less angry all the time and he's saying the right things. Trudeau is being labeled on both sides as weak.
Old 20 Jul 15, 15:37
Lieutenant General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Conservative Attack Ads on his youthful looks, his gaffes, and all-round surfer dude quasi-persona did their damage but the real threat came from the NDP.

The Liberals voted for Bill C-51, the Tories own controversial PATRIOT Act. They did so to avoid Conservative attack that they were weak on terror, thug huggers, etc, etc. The Liberals had already voted against Canada's involvement in the War against the Islamic State and suffered attacks from the Tories. The NDP however voted against both measures, solidifying their pacifist image.

This act of realpolitik by the Liberals was seen as a betrayal by the more Progressive and Harper-hating supporters within the party. They began looking towards the NDP.

The implosion of the PCs in Alberta under the leadership of a former Harper cabinet member was the final straw. The NDP had defeated the Tories on their own turf; something the Liberals had never done. Progressives now have a new saviour in the form of the NDP and Thomas Mulcair.

The NDP have gained so much support in the recent months that they now lead the national polls with 32.4% of the vote.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!