StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 09 Jul 15, 16:28
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

You know, an Aussie producing an American movie about that touches upon the British occupation of the Colonies, and people are surprised the Brits are shown in a bad light?

Speaking as a Native American, I can't say the Brits were done any injustice...

You told me they were stupid in another thread...
Old 09 Jul 15, 16:33
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post

You told me they were stupid in another thread...
Certain specific tribes.

We don't all love each other, you know. You bastards interrupted some very promising wars...
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 09 Jul 15, 16:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Haha... ok pal. You scared me for a second.

Just letting you know I pay attention to what you write even if I don't always agree.
Old 09 Jul 15, 16:43
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
Haha... ok pal. You scared me for a second.

Just letting you know I pay attention to what you write even if I don't always agree.
Its nice to be noticed.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 09 Jul 15, 17:32
General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I asked the same question about the Queen...

He acts in a movie every year, with one about to come out. He's got a directorship project in the works, I dunno when the target release is.
The Boss was still alive at the weekend just gone. They had pictures of her walking and everything.

Gibbo is still working? Damn the Jews are forgiving. I wonder who he had to shag to pull that one off?

Old 09 Jul 15, 18:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKPLACE View Post
The Boss was still alive at the weekend just gone. They had pictures of her walking and everything.
Didn't she just open Parliament? I'm waiting for the day when she opens the pouch, glances quickly at the speech, turns to the prime minister, and says, "you are a simple-minded little ****, aren't you." I'd pay good money to see that.

Quote:
Gibbo is still working? Damn the Jews are forgiving. I wonder who he had to shag to pull that one off?
I don't think Richard Zanuck swings that way.
Old 10 Jul 15, 01:39
General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Didn't she just open Parliament? I'm waiting for the day when she opens the pouch, glances quickly at the speech, turns to the prime minister, and says, "you are a simple-minded little ****, aren't you." I'd pay good money to see that.

I don't think Richard Zanuck swings that way.
Her Maj? When you think of some of the P.M.'s and the guff she has had to read out. I'm really surprised she's never given in to the temptation to call in the Lifeguards and redecorate the palace of Westminster with human heads?

The entertainment value in her howling "off with their heads!" Would be unlimited.

But back to Gibbo. I would not suggest for a moment that Zanuck actually rogered him himself.

But, I can imagine a scene that goes something like this.

ZANUCK: Ok, Mel. Thanks for the moving and heartfelt apology. Now. See the porcupine?

GIBBO: Yes. It's a fine specimen.

ZANUCK:: It is Mel. It is. @@@@ the porcupine, Mel.

GIBBO: Excuse me?

ZANUCK: The porcupine? Trousers off kneel down and pleasure my porcupine, Mel. If you want to work in this town again your going to @@@@ the @@@@ off the porcupine.

CUT TO ARIEL VIEW OF LOS ANGELES. AND THE SOUND OF AMBULANCE SIRENS
Old 10 Jul 15, 04:53
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Australians also do not look on the British with deep respect. It may be related to how the Australian troops were used in both World Wars.

Pruitt
Would not say that.it depends which British you are talking about. The term "British" summarises multitudes of attitudes , personalities and opinions, just as the term "Americans"does.

Last edited by BELGRAVE; 10 Jul 15 at 05:33..
Old 10 Jul 15, 18:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Her Maj? When you think of some of the P.M.'s and the guff she has had to read out. I'm really surprised she's never given in to the temptation to call in the Lifeguards and redecorate the palace of Westminster with human heads?

The entertainment value in her howling "off with their heads!" Would be unlimited.
Has anyone ever seen her roll her eyes upon opening the pouch? Has she ever dressed down a PM in private? You've got to admire her self-discipline.

Quote:
But back to Gibbo. I would not suggest for a moment that Zanuck actually rogered him himself.

But, I can imagine a scene that goes something like this.

ZANUCK: Ok, Mel. Thanks for the moving and heartfelt apology. Now. See the porcupine?

GIBBO: Yes. It's a fine specimen.

ZANUCK:: It is Mel. It is. @@@@ the porcupine, Mel.

GIBBO: Excuse me?

ZANUCK: The porcupine? Trousers off kneel down and pleasure my porcupine, Mel. If you want to work in this town again your going to @@@@ the @@@@ off the porcupine.

CUT TO ARIEL VIEW OF LOS ANGELES. AND THE SOUND OF AMBULANCE SIRENS
Never thought of the casting couch in quite that way. Thanks for the visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
Would not say that.it depends which British you are talking about. The term "British" summarises multitudes of attitudes , personalities and opinions, just as the term "Americans"does.
How about "Pommie Bastard"? Does that term also cover a wide range of divergent views?

Old 10 Jul 15, 18:12
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
? Has she ever dressed down a PM in private? You've got to admire her self-discipline.

::
We'll never know but I suspect that she has enough experience to do the job with some subtlety and still leave the recipient feeling that he's had a right royal rollicking. I think a couple (Our 'Arold and Greasy Tone) would be relatively immune though. Prince P of course would leave no doubt but it isn't his job.

Last edited by MarkV; 10 Jul 15 at 18:20..
Old 10 Jul 15, 18:25
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I read once that she called Winston Churchill in during his last term as PM and "suggested" to him that if he was not up to performing his job properly he should step down and let someone else have a go. To such a worshiper of the Royal Family, that had to hurt!

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 10 Jul 15, 23:08
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Has anyone ever seen her roll her eyes upon opening the pouch? Has she ever dressed down a PM in private? You've got to admire her self-discipline.

Never thought of the casting couch in quite that way. Thanks for the visual.

How about "Pommie Bastard"? Does that term also cover a wide range of divergent views?

"Pommie Bastard" is usually meant as a term of affection these days. Even the present Prime Minister- born in London- has not attracted such an epithet.

(Well, "bastard " maybe, depending on what your politics are).
Old 10 Jul 15, 23:17
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If you look into the Royal Family Tree (especially the Spencers), you will note a number of "bastards". Some from the Royal Family. Charles II was notorious for leaving dozens of bastards but no direct royal heir. To name a few families with a bastard back there, Bowes-Lyon, Parker, Spencer. A little outside genes would probably do the Royal Line some good.

Just about every British King has listed some bastards in his will. I don't recall any mentioned in the last two. The Hanovers certainly left a bunch!

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 11 Jul 15, 11:14
General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen her roll her eyes upon opening the pouch? Has she ever dressed down a PM in private? You've got to admire her self-discipline. :
Allegedly, if the Queen likes a P.M. then once a week when he or she comes to the palace to explain how they have run the country that week then they sit in comfy armchairs and have tea and biscuits.

If she doesn't like them then her majesty sits at her desk and the P.M. stands for the duration of the interview.

I am told she gets a copy of the Queens Speech about a week before the ceremony so she has time to practice her expressionless face. Having said that I have a suspicion that if she wasn't a ruling monarch she'd make a damp good poker player.

Quote:
maybe: Never thought of the casting couch in quite that way. Thanks for the visual.
Thank you. . I try my best.
Old 11 Jul 15, 11:46
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Often wondered how HM would react to various US presidents were they to have regular meetings (perhaps in some alternative history). With Ike I can image a cordial but very formal meeting, how she would react to JFK I cannot imagine. She might find LBJ a bit coarse. With Nixon there would be a certain iciness I suspect especially post Watergate. She'd probably wouldn't get much out of Ford and might find Jimmy Carter over familiar. Regan I think she should be able to have a laugh with. Bush senior she might consider a bit stiff. With Clinton I think she might adopt a more in sorrow than in anger attitude, especially post the Lewinsky scandal. With Bush Junior I image she'd speak quite slowly and in simple terms and with Obama I think she'd be back to cordial but formal. But others may (all most certainly will) think differently
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!