StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 19 Apr 15, 07:47
Staff Sergeant
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Porty is on the path to success [1-99] Porty is on the path to success [1-99] Porty is on the path to success [1-99] Porty is on the path to success [1-99]
While these types of movies might be (in this case certainly is!) inaccurate, I hope they serve to draw some people into further study of what is an amazingly interesting, important and complex period in history.

Cheers!
Old 19 Apr 15, 23:35
Banned
Armchair_General

Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porty View Post
While these types of movies might be (in this case certainly is!) inaccurate, I hope they serve to draw some people into further study of what is an amazingly interesting, important and complex period in history.

Cheers!
That is really all we can hope for from Hollywood. They do not seem to bent on entertainment beyond the high school sophomore level.
Old 19 Apr 15, 23:37
Banned
Armchair_General

Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cyan67 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I liked the Patriot as an action movie.
All I was able to see was just how accurate Sweet Liberty was as a "docudrama" of Hollywood movie making.
Old 04 Jul 15, 05:26
Banned
United_States

Handsome Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
The Patriot was terrible when it came out and is still terrible.

Sincerely,
M
Amen to this post. Only redeemable scene is Camden thanks to its horrible decapitation CGI that looks like something out of a SyFy original movie. So bad it's good. I did like their rendition of the British Grenadiers though.
Old 04 Jul 15, 06:48
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
2015-1995 = 20. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Jul 15, 08:26
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Your missing Braveheart that's what. It came out in 1995, the Patriot was out in 2000
Old 04 Jul 15, 08:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by History fan View Post
Your missing Braveheart that's what. It came out in 1995, the Patriot was out in 2000
K'thanx.
Old 04 Jul 15, 08:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Lucius Malfoy was great in "The Patriot".
Old 04 Jul 15, 14:20
Brigadier General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
The buggers ...

Quote:
... changed how they mark time on this board, since you were by last. I missed you, couldn't visit you at your other place, where my PC locks up every time I try to look in. Hmmm, do you think they're trying to tell me something over there?
Old 04 Jul 15, 15:10
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

You know, an Aussie producing an American movie about that touches upon the British occupation of the Colonies, and people are surprised the Brits are shown in a bad light?

Speaking as a Native American, I can't say the Brits were done any injustice...
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 04 Jul 15, 16:04
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

You know, an Aussie producing an American movie about that touches upon the British occupation of the Colonies, and people are surprised the Brits are shown in a bad light?

Speaking as a Native American, I can't say the Brits were done any injustice...
I'm reading Crucible of War by Fred Anderson now and liking it. The public libraries in town didn't have a copy but I did manage to get an inter library loan from out of town. I'd prefer a good book to a movie any day and the folks on ACG do a good job of promoting a good read.

Happy 4th of July!

Regards,

Patrick
Old 04 Jul 15, 19:00
Lieutenant General
United_States

wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300]
You do realize that the facts are less important than not insulting the emotional intelligence of the audience?
Old 05 Jul 15, 02:17
Banned
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhnd View Post
You do realize that the facts are less important than not insulting the emotional intelligence of the audience?
Yup. To hell with a Scottish noble leading his men with gentry, let's have him put into a Jesus pose and shout "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM".
Old 05 Jul 15, 04:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The problem with this image is Wallace was from a minor Knight family, and was definitely not noble. He was a six and a half foot tall homicidal maniac that had a taste for Englishmen.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 05 Jul 15, 04:39
Banned
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
The problem with this image is Wallace was from a minor Knight family, and was definitely not noble. He was a six and a half foot tall homicidal maniac that had a taste for Englishmen.

Pruitt

Agreed on that, he was definitely no higher-up nobility. However the film was pretty bad in showing him as a commoner wearing ragged garbs like some sort of Highland tribesman. He wasn't royalty but he definitely wasn't a savage.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!