StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 11 Apr 15, 17:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
So how come nothing is being said here ? ;
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/
Old 11 Apr 15, 18:48
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Cody can always write something for the other magazines, maybe something Airborne in World War II or Vietnam?

Pruitt
I agree with Pruitt. There still have to dozens of unpublished accomplishments of the 101st.
Old 11 Apr 15, 19:01
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
One of the Goals in Life I set as a teenager was to work enough to be able to dunk a basketball. I eventually worked my way up to get right to the level of the basket rim. That is where I maxed out! I also wanted to reach six foot tall!

I am now 61 years old, I have a fused neck and a fused foot. My knees don't work well either. I realize now I will never be able to dunk a basketball! We won't talk about the body fat issue! I maxed out at just over 5'9" in height. The neck fusion means I am now around 5'8". I gave both of these my best shot. (Note Brother and Cousin are both six foot tall). At least I have good looks and charm!

Sometimes Life deals the cards so you never reach a cherished goal. Smart guys examine the situation and rethink their goals. There are lots of respectable goals out there to change over to.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 12 Apr 15, 05:29
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Sometimes Life deals the cards so you never reach a cherished goal. Smart guys examine the situation and rethink their goals. There are lots of respectable goals out there to change over to.
The first thing to do is to stand fast...and whatever happens, never give up!

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 27 Apr 15, 02:01
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
So how come nothing is being said here ? ;
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/
Got home this evening, out over the weekend, and in the mailbox was an issue of Military History. Guess this is the comp for ACG being dropped. It's not a bad mag, but I'll miss ACG.
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Apr 15, 10:50
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post
The first thing to do is to stand fast...and whatever happens, never give up!

Greets,
Stratego

ACG magazine is gone and the WHG staff are absent. Basically we've been given a huge gift with the forum staying open. It's up to the membership what to do with it. Treat it with respect and make it a meaningful place of discussion, or let it turn into a Politics Central trash pile. It's up to us gents.
Old 27 Apr 15, 13:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
ACG magazine is gone and the WHG staff are absent. Basically we've been given a huge gift with the forum staying open. It's up to the membership what to do with it. Treat it with respect and make it a meaningful place of discussion, or let it turn into a Politics Central trash pile. It's up to us gents.
I agree, this is a gift we need to appreciate. However if the forums are ever to go down, all I ask is some advanced warning.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 30 Apr 15, 22:14
Major General
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300] Pirate-Drakk is on a distinguished road [300]
I subscribed to the ACG Mag before the first issue was published. I got advanced notice because I was already getting WWII Mag. I have every issue in a pile in my closet! Digital media doesn't make for a very good pile...

Today I got a letter saying ACG Mag is dead and I got an email that I got my 10 year award for being on the ACG forums.

I'm very disappointed but I realize nothing lasts forever. I would guess it was a staffing issue at Weider Publishing or something equally lame that killed the mag.

In any case...
Old 01 May 15, 18:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Agreed my friend. I subscribe to hard copy. Mostly Popular Science(LOL) seriously, I do subscribe to PS. But I have many others and am a member of 2 or 3 ACW trusts, if I recall one does send out a magazine. National Geographic has been in my home, my folks' home, and even my grandparents' home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Must be serious, as indicated by the complete lack of substantive responses from the forum admins. Silence these days is always an admission of serious problems.

I never "subscribe" to e-mags. To me, the real value of a magazine is part of its physical presence on my side table, there to picked up and perused at my leisure, set down briefly, resumed when I wish and where I wish, needing no batteries or internet connection and incapable of being altered or edited after it is published.

Magazines last for many decades, and contain additional information of historic value beyond their articles, while e-mags are subject to the whims of available storage space and electronic digital distortion. A magazine can be put into a footlocker and is still there, still ready to be read, fifty years later...or even longer.

Pick up an old National Geographic sometime, ignore the articles and read the advertisements for a wonderful look into the economic life and times of America in the past, what was important and what it cost back then. That's often of more interest than anything else to those who truly appreciate history in its entirety.

Old 29 Sep 15, 15:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Along with missing ACG, I also miss Ralph Peters and his page that appeared in each issue. What's he up to now?
Old 30 Sep 15, 01:52
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
Along with missing ACG, I also miss Ralph Peters and his page that appeared in each issue. What's he up to now?
I was seeing him a lot on FOX News...
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG
Old 30 Sep 15, 06:59
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Ralph is a Fox contracted talking head and regularly appears on Fox News and Fox Business.

He has finished his fourth Civil War novel (revolves around Petersburg) in his planned five book set.

Outside of that, he is keeping himself fit, enjoying life and drinking wine.
Old 03 Oct 15, 16:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Sort of ghost of the past recently ...
The other day I got a birthday greeting from ACG and Weider Group, interesting since it would seem neither exists anymore.

BTW, yesterday, Oct.2, turned 65.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!