StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 08 Apr 15, 13:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Actually, a number of public libraries have an on-line feature that allows you to download a book. The book document has a feature that locks it once the 'return date' arrives.

I was skeptical about it at first myself, but I spend a lot of time waiting to testify, and having access to hundreds of books on my phone has really been nice.
Yeah, and I have used a Nook and currently have a Kindle for reading on the go, since I spend a lot of time waiting in doctors' offices. I would still rather carry a book, having been raised in the Late Jurassic Period.

When my Nook was destroyed by the Barnes and Noble staff during an "upgrade", I lost my entire e-library without compensation or any way to recover it. OTH, my personal library is always there on my shelves ready for me to discover something new or overlooked. Printed books have a lot fewer spelling errors, too.
Old 08 Apr 15, 17:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
How will this affect the ACG Forums?

Pruitt
One of us has to be sacrificed.

Seriously, I am wondering that as well. If the forums are going away there are some post I want to save first.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 08 Apr 15, 22:45
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
You should still be able to write and submit digitally, PM. Not the same as being able to send a copy of yourself in print to the family, or hanging it on your wall, but still...
Probably the end of writing. they are no longer going to teach cursive in school.........
Old 09 Apr 15, 00:19
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800] Kendoka Girl gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Must be serious, as indicated by the complete lack of substantive responses from the forum admins. Silence these days is always an admission of serious problems.

I never "subscribe" to e-mags. To me, the real value of a magazine is part of its physical presence on my side table, there to picked up and perused at my leisure, set down briefly, resumed when I wish and where I wish, needing no batteries or internet connection and incapable of being altered or edited after it is published.

Magazines last for many decades, and contain additional information of historic value beyond their articles, while e-mags are subject to the whims of available storage space and electronic digital distortion. A magazine can be put into a footlocker and is still there, still ready to be read, fifty years later...or even longer.

Pick up an old National Geographic sometime, ignore the articles and read the advertisements for a wonderful look into the economic life and times of America in the past, what was important and what it cost back then. That's often of more interest than anything else to those who truly appreciate history in its entirety.

My thoughts exactly
Old 09 Apr 15, 01:45
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Printing costs are high. There's magazines with a lot more popular appeal that have gone digital.
Digital as an option is one thing, as the only ...

Bad enough to have to pay a subscription price , but to add aper and cartridge costs to print hard copy of portions to all of the mag, nah ... !!!

When my paid subscription for a printed mag that has gone digital midway thru expires, I doubt strongly I will renew.

I'd be willing to wade thru a few more pages of adverts, or even a pay a few bucks more for a printed hardcopy subscription, but I haven't time and inclination to spend more time in front of a screen to read what has been one of my fav mags. Just not the same experience, etc.

Weider Group is making a big mistake here IMO.
Old 09 Apr 15, 01:50
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Must be serious, as indicated by the complete lack of substantive responses from the forum admins. Silence these days is always an admission of serious problems.

I never "subscribe" to e-mags. To me, the real value of a magazine is part of its physical presence on my side table, there to picked up and perused at my leisure, set down briefly, resumed when I wish and where I wish, needing no batteries or internet connection and incapable of being altered or edited after it is published.

Magazines last for many decades, and contain additional information of historic value beyond their articles, while e-mags are subject to the whims of available storage space and electronic digital distortion. A magazine can be put into a footlocker and is still there, still ready to be read, fifty years later...or even longer.

Pick up an old National Geographic sometime, ignore the articles and read the advertisements for a wonderful look into the economic life and times of America in the past, what was important and what it cost back then. That's often of more interest than anything else to those who truly appreciate history in its entirety.

Recently while helping oldest son move to Lincoln, NE, spotted an old footlocker I'd given him and upon opening, a few ACG issues I'd sent him while he was in Iraq nearly ten years ago. Blast from the past and I reclaimed them.

I with you on the old National Geographics. The classic yellow border issues from 50-60-70 years ago remain almost anthropological treasures on culture of the 1930-50's. Hard to duplicate in "digital", especially that aged "musty" smell, the texture of pages to flip, etc.
Old 09 Apr 15, 01:53
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankruler1945 View Post
Whoa wait! it's really done, I just got a subscription for Christmas!!!!!!!
And I just renewed another year and gave out a couple of subs. Talk about feeling screwed!
Old 09 Apr 15, 02:18
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200] boomer400 is walking in the light [200]
Does the digital subscription allow you to download the articles or the magazine or require you to login and view online only? The reason I ask is I'm actually in the process of scanning some very old copies of Flight (from the '60s) and wonder if it's "better" to copy just the articles or the entire thing with the adverts of the times (very funny nowadays).
Old 10 Apr 15, 01:12
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It says final print issue but that it can be read online. Print media is increasingly shifting online - I guess it's another example of it.
Yet nothing in that issue or the subscriber label to indicate this is the last print issue. Many will be left hanging and wondering, WFT - where is my next issue. **** poor PR move on the part of WHG!
Old 10 Apr 15, 01:33
General of the Forums
United_States

BTW ~ "WORLD History Group" ???

Did 'Weider' (Weider History Group) sell out ~ off ???

WHG = WHG ~
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Apr 15, 13:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
BTW ~ "WORLD History Group" ???
If true, the potential we are done here just increased exponentially.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Old 10 Apr 15, 18:37
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post
I began journalism school thinking I would write something for ACG magazine at some point.

I suppose that ship has sailed. Bummer.
Dude, start a blog or look into writing for some sites
"The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
"
Old 10 Apr 15, 18:51
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cody can always write something for the other magazines, maybe something Airborne in World War II or Vietnam?

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 10 Apr 15, 19:40
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Get a job slacker.
Old 10 Apr 15, 20:07
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace View Post
Dude, start a blog or look into writing for some sites
A blog? You must be joking. I'm an educated man.

I have a couple of website opportunities related to MMA.

And next week I'm doing my second interview with a media company that owns a dozen newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post

Cody can always write something for the other magazines, maybe something Airborne in World War II or Vietnam?
Indeed. But as a more of an Armchair General than a history buff, I had hoped to make an entry in the genre of historical gaming. And ACG really kickstarted my pursuit of a writing career, it would have been cool to come full circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Get a job slacker.
"I was gonna go to work, but then I got high."
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 10 Apr 15 at 20:14..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!