StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members

Notices and Announcements

Units - Military/Naval Service of ACG Members Here you will post or find the units in which ACG members have served.

Old 14 Mar 15, 12:54
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Question Thank you for your service phenomenon…?

I usually thank our armed forces any chance I get. I don't wait for holidays to remind me of their sacrifice, I do it because I want to. There have been some rare instances when I sensed some bitterness to my expression of gratitude. I really didn’t give it much more thought…until I read this NYT article.

Quote:
Mr. Garth, 26, said that when he gets thanked it can feel self-serving for the thankers, suggesting that he did it for them, and that they somehow understand the sacrifice, night terrors, feelings of loss and bewilderment. Or don’t think about it at all.
“I pulled the trigger,” he said. “You didn’t. Don’t take that away from me.”

Mike Freedman, a Green Beret, calls it the “thank you for your service phenomenon.” To some recent vets — by no stretch all of them — the thanks comes across as shallow, disconnected, a reflexive offering from people who, while meaning well, have no clue what soldiers did over there or what motivated them to go, and who would never have gone themselves nor sent their own sons and daughters.To these vets, thanking soldiers for their service symbolizes the ease of sending a volunteer army to wage war at great distance — physically, spiritually, economically. It raises questions of the meaning of patriotism, shared purpose and, pointedly, what you’re supposed to say to those who put their lives on the line and are uncomfortable about being thanked for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/su...y-service.html
I would like feedback about this from ACG members who served. How do you feel about being thanked for your service?

Thanks!
Maggie

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

"The Frost is strong in that Snowflake" ~ Reimnitz

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Mar 15, 13:38
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
While I served in the military, I frequently get thanked for my service as a police officer when in uniform, which is something recent.

Its a little awkward as an individual, but I appreciate the idea that the person is acknowledging officers as a group, especially now with all the nonsense protests going on.

I would certainly think it is a big step forward from all the negativity I saw in the press about Vietnam veterans during & after that conflict.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 14 Mar 15, 13:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I find it odd to be thanked for my service by another service member. My best thank you was a lady that chased me down in a store, I was in uniform at the time. Her approach started with... "I hope you don't think I'm weird but, I wanted to thank you for your service to our country." It is a nice gesture in my opinion, but I don't feel it is necessary, at least for me, I understand it without the words being spoken.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 14 Mar 15, 15:42
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
I find it odd to be thanked for my service by another service member. My best thank you was a lady that chased me down in a store, I was in uniform at the time. Her approach started with... "I hope you don't think I'm weird but, I wanted to thank you for your service to our country." It is a nice gesture in my opinion, but I don't feel it is necessary, at least for me, I understand it without the words being spoken.

I've done that before, many times in fact....

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Old 14 Mar 15, 15:45
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
While I served in the military, I frequently get thanked for my service as a police officer when in uniform, which is something recent.

Its a little awkward as an individual, but I appreciate the idea that the person is acknowledging officers as a group, especially now with all the nonsense protests going on.

I would certainly think it is a big step forward from all the negativity I saw in the press about Vietnam veterans during & after that conflict.

I don't view LEO as evil villains.
I've thanked our police too, just not as often as military.

Old 14 Mar 15, 15:54
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As and old Vet I call it all make me feel good Bull S... If you were really honest you would have one of your children or relatives enlisting. 1% of the American population are now in uniform doing a service to our country. 99% are running around with their tail between their legs saying thank you. That doesn't pay the butchers bill and gets the least "ahh Gee thanks" from me. Join the club or ....
Way to many "Sunshine Patriots" running around, as usual.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 14 Mar 15, 15:59
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
In Holland, and I think in Europe, we don't thank service members for what they did.
Consequently, I never got thanked.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 14 Mar 15, 16:06
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
In Holland, and I think in Europe, we don't thank service members for what they did.
Then thank you my friend but I never joined to expect thanks for my service. I joined and the only thanks that I wanted is thanks from myself for serving my country in and honorable fashion. For us military the old English song of Tommy Adkins always comes to mind.

http://faxmentis.org/html/kipling.html

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 14 Mar 15, 21:02
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Then thank you my friend but I never joined to expect thanks for my service. I joined and the only thanks that I wanted is thanks from myself for serving my country in and honorable fashion.

I don't care if you want it or not ....I will thank you for your sacrifice and service.

Quote:
Rather than give a sterile “thank you for your service”, own the sentiment and make it personal.

Thanking a veteran would be a present for the birth of all your children.

Thank a veteran that you have pursued your educational goals safely and uninterrupted.

Thank a veteran that your biggest stress is not getting your training ride, workout, spin class, yoga, pilates, or run in for the day.

Thank a veteran that you can sit home nights and write.

Thank a veteran that you have pursued a successful professional career and living the high life.

Thank a veteran that you have the security to be a stay at home parent.

Thank a veteran that you have chosen to make your home close to your, or far form your family, close to the ocean or deep in the mountain… but you choose it.

Thank a veteran that you were able to attend every one of your child’s sporting events, music recitals, spelling bees and parent-teacher conferences.

Thank a veteran that your spouse or partner comes home predictably every day.

Thank a veteran that you have your weekends free.

Thank a veteran that you pursued your passion as an actor, professional athlete, model, musician, or under water basket weaver.

Thank a veteran that you didn't/don’t have to be one.

Old 14 Mar 15, 21:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
I just wanted to take the time to thank you for your service.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Mar 15, 23:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It often makes me feel uncomfortable and it comes across as self-serving and insincere. I did 10 years and didn't do anything special enough to be thanked or to be called a hero.

I think I'd appreciate being thanked for being a trucker more than a service member.
Old 15 Mar 15, 00:07
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
It often makes me feel uncomfortable and it comes across as self-serving and insincere. I did 10 years and didn't do anything special enough to be thanked or to be called a hero.

I think I'd appreciate being thanked for being a trucker more than a service member.
Without you, my store shelves would be empty. Drove for a bit in my youth. My Avatar had the 2 million badge. He taught me to acknowledge the truck in my mirror, when they needed to get speed for the next hill, and to give them room in the turn lane if I had a chance.
Godspeed and keep the shiny side up.
Old 15 Mar 15, 09:11
Captain
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The first time that it happened it really caught me off-guard. As a veteran of the Vietnam-era I definitely wasn't used to people thanking me for my service. Not sure when this transformation in public opinion took place, but personally I and many of the vets that I call my friends appreciate it.

Last edited by sherlock; 15 Mar 15 at 09:36..
Old 21 Mar 15, 12:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
The first time that it happened it really caught me off-guard. As a veteran of the Vietnam-era I definitely wasn't used to people thanking me for my service. Not sure when this transformation in public opinion took place, but personally I and many of the vets that I call my friends appreciate it.

I find that Vietnam vets appreciate it most. Maybe it's because of the harsh treatment you guys received back then.

There's no way we can ever make up for the terrible treatment Vietnam vets got for their sacrifice.

Old 21 Mar 15, 12:21
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post

This is good to know. I want to make sure our men & women in uniform know we appreciate them but I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!