StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 25 Mar 15, 14:37
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm poking around with it. It took a while to get my mouse adjusted for the game, but with Golani's help it got sorted out.

You have a variety of options: there's Boot Camp, which is a series of training scenarios on the various concept & controls in the game.

There's the Armory, where you see data & images of equipment, and can be put in random terrain to test the gear.

There are Scenarios, which are single missions.

And Campaigns, which are linked, branching missions.

I've run through several Boot Camp and Armory layouts, and tried a couple times at scenarios.

This is not a casual game-when you sit down, be prepared to concentrate and devote some time. The scenario I've played several times, a squad of Marines is dropped on a beach by helo and has to recon about a klick, facing light resistance.

I got killed every time so far.

The damage mechanic is RL: surviving a gunshot wound is iffy, although a medic can patch you up if you don't bleed out. I got nailed by a DshK 150m out.

So you have to move from cover to cover, liste to your teammates (or read the subtitles to the radio traffic). Its not a fast-paced FPS, but rather a slow, careful process that quickly becomes deeply immersive.

I haven't had the free time to commit to the game since last weekend, but I'm looking forward to getting to it.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 30 Mar 15, 17:01
General of the Forums
Philippines
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300] GMan88 is on a distinguished road [300]
Personally I love the game Insurgency, from Steam. Will try out Arma when I've gotten a more powerful computer.
Old 30 Mar 15, 17:08
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm finding out my PC isn't up to snuff. In urban fighting where changing facing fast is key, my system is making me sluggish, and I'm getting lit up left, right, and center.

Plus my Net connection isn't up to running DayZ.

I'll shelve it for future use.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 04 Apr 15, 11:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
The whole needing to download things is killing me since finding the correct downloads easily is escaping me.
Old 04 Apr 15, 11:07
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I'm poking around with it. It took a while to get my mouse adjusted for the game, but with Golani's help it got sorted out.

You have a variety of options: there's Boot Camp, which is a series of training scenarios on the various concept & controls in the game.

There's the Armory, where you see data & images of equipment, and can be put in random terrain to test the gear.

There are Scenarios, which are single missions.

And Campaigns, which are linked, branching missions.

I've run through several Boot Camp and Armory layouts, and tried a couple times at scenarios.

This is not a casual game-when you sit down, be prepared to concentrate and devote some time. The scenario I've played several times, a squad of Marines is dropped on a beach by helo and has to recon about a klick, facing light resistance.

I got killed every time so far.

The damage mechanic is RL: surviving a gunshot wound is iffy, although a medic can patch you up if you don't bleed out. I got nailed by a DshK 150m out.

So you have to move from cover to cover, liste to your teammates (or read the subtitles to the radio traffic). Its not a fast-paced FPS, but rather a slow, careful process that quickly becomes deeply immersive.

I haven't had the free time to commit to the game since last weekend, but I'm looking forward to getting to it.
I am bugged on that scenario. get dropped in the water and cant do anything.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Apr 15, 11:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven View Post
The whole needing to download things is killing me since finding the correct downloads easily is escaping me.
Yeah, I'm having terrible trouble with DL's too.

Don't feel back about that scenario. I never made it more than 500m off the beach. I might as well have drowned quick and got it over with.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!