StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games > World of Tanks

Notices and Announcements

World of Tanks Discuss the game and the Armchair General WoT clan.

Old 10 Feb 15, 17:05
Lieutenant General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
New to WoT and don't understand anything

I am playing WoT on my tablet and on my PC. As far as computers go I tend to expect alot...show me what I want to know, don't make me look for it. PC version I am often dead before I know what the battlefield scenario is. I don't even know where the shot came from. I don't mind that so much I figure I'll get by the learning curve in a few decades and occasionally kill a tank or two. I am curious as to why more folks don't play with joysticks or controllers as I just can't get comfortable with the keyboard thing. Gaming on a keyboard seems incredibly wrong to me. I am trying to decide which is better a joystick or gamepad...I'm leaning toward the gamepad simply because of the dual rotation needs (turret and tank hull) which I think can be better accomplished with a gamepad.
The tablet version sucks in many ways but is enjoyable for a quick tank killing fix if you can get past the controls botch up on a tablet. My major gripe on this version is that I have no idea how to upgrade nor how far I am from that point. How long am I stuck fighting with an impotent light tank that is smaller than the car that I drive?

That was a nice long rant. I should have made it one sentence, eh?

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Feb 15, 17:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What's your game name. I'll add you to the friend list and if you're on I can help with things.
Old 10 Feb 15, 18:19
Lieutenant General
France

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
What's your game name. I'll add you to the friend list and if you're on I can help with things.
JBark. I have no imagination...lol. Actually I did not pay attention to the option for a cool name.
Thanks

Old 10 Feb 15, 18:26
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Do you have a mouse?A keybord and mousepad are a very bad idea.
Old 11 Feb 15, 00:22
Lieutenant General
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
Do you have a mouse?A keybord and mousepad are a very bad idea.
Of course I have a mouse.
Why?

Old 11 Feb 15, 00:32
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
Funny I tried the xbox version and could not use the controller to play. I am more at home on the keyboard mouse setup.

As for help you can look me up "sirdano" and I can play in the lower levels if need be. If unsure at start try hiding in a bush. or follow a couple other tanks. At lower levels you will die quicky. Some players like to seal club the newbies. Also I think there is a turtorial you can try also that help.

Also try the forums on world of tanks they can give you a lot of ideas.

After each battle you can research new modules that help your tank. Like a better gun, tacks turret and even moving up to a new tier.
Old 11 Feb 15, 00:34
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
This might help too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68OWMyO-3A

look for other videos
Old 11 Feb 15, 12:48
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
Of course I have a mouse.
Why?
I have a nephew who plays on a laptop with keybord mousepad control, I cant cope with that combination and was wondering if you were using the same combination.
Old 11 Feb 15, 15:38
Lieutenant General
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Funny I tried the xbox version and could not use the controller to play. I am more at home on the keyboard mouse setup.

As for help you can look me up "sirdano" and I can play in the lower levels if need be. If unsure at start try hiding in a bush. or follow a couple other tanks. At lower levels you will die quicky. Some players like to seal club the newbies. Also I think there is a turtorial you can try also that help.

Also try the forums on world of tanks they can give you a lot of ideas.

After each battle you can research new modules that help your tank. Like a better gun, tacks turret and even moving up to a new tier.
I've been playing with joystick and controller on other games for many years so I think this is why I can't make the adjustment.

The upgrades, is this all paid for with money or can one acquire experience "points" and upgrade with these. Does the latter take a long time?

Old 11 Feb 15, 16:02
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Experience points are gained in relation to success in battle,that can be use to research new modules and vehicles.When that research is done credits also earned in relation to success in battle can be used to purchase said new modules and vehicles.The further up the tier you travel the harder it is to advance as the costs increase,pretty quick up to around tier 4.You can use real world cash to buy credits ,but I think that rather defeats the point of the game.
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Feb 15, 16:05
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Fifty or so hours of play should get you up to tier4/5 if you concentrate on one line.
Old 12 Feb 15, 09:30
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I've been using keyboard/mouse combination for way too long to try a joystick with WoT... not sure how that would work to be honest.

Fifty hours Grishnak? You should be able to hit tier 4/5 with 10-12 hours of solid game play.
Old 12 Feb 15, 10:51
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200]
I'm also used to the mouse and keyboard combo but I had to play with the settings to get the right level of control. Most importantly, I tried some of the different targeting mods. This made a huge difference in uping my hit rate. I found the standard targeting site awful.

Get a good modpack and make sure you are upgrading your crews along with your tanks.

A tank crew at less than 75% or even 85% is going to be very annoying. Slow to load, slow to repair and often inaccurate.

Also get "sixth sense" as a skill on your commander asap.
Old 12 Feb 15, 13:10
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwys View Post
I've been using keyboard/mouse combination for way too long to try a joystick with WoT... not sure how that would work to be honest.

Fifty hours Grishnak? You should be able to hit tier 4/5 with 10-12 hours of solid game play.
I could do that now,but not so sure it was so easy when I started.I found the the instant death cause no damage role quite easily in the beginning.
Old 13 Feb 15, 01:07
Lieutenant General
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
Experience points are gained in relation to success in battle,that can be use to research new modules and vehicles.When that research is done credits also earned in relation to success in battle can be used to purchase said new modules and vehicles.The further up the tier you travel the harder it is to advance as the costs increase,pretty quick up to around tier 4.You can use real world cash to buy credits ,but I think that rather defeats the point of the game.
What exactly is researching the tanks?

Can one do well in this game without all the crew stuff and assorted other "stuff?" Seems to be a needlessly complicated game, too complicated I think.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!