StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 15 Jul 17, 20:47
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Look into Robert Leckie's classic, Brig Rat. I read it first in a magazine and later as a chapter in one of his books.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 16 Jul 17, 14:52
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Look into Robert Leckie's classic, Brig Rat. I read it first in a magazine and later as a chapter in one of his books.

Pruitt
Thanks. I'll put it in the queue. I am a big fan of Leckie.
Old 05 Aug 17, 22:48
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
The Old Man at the Bridge

The Old Man at the Bridge by Ernest Hemingway

“The Old Man at the Bridge” is a very short story by Ernest Hemingway. It is based on an incident that Hemingway witnessed in the Spanish Civil War. Hemingway was covering the war as a journalist and was at the Republican last stand at the Ebro River in 1938. He originally intended to file it as a newspaper article, but changed his mind.

An army scout is the narrator of the story. The story occurs on Easter Sunday which is meant to be ironic. He has returned from a reconnaissance mission to locate the Fascist forces. He crosses a pontoon bridge and encounters an old man sitting on the bank. Refugees are crossing the bridge, but the old man is not joining them. Curious, but mainly just killing time at first, the scout engages the old man in conversation as he listens “all the while for the first noises that would signal that ever mysterious event called contact….” The old man is obviously disoriented by his experience. He apparently was a poor farmer or shepherd who took care of a cat, some goats, and some pigeons. Now they are gone and he is worried about them more than about himself. He seems accepting of death and has no desire to continue on.

The story is full of symbolism. The cat with its nine lives symbolizes survival. The old man mentions that the cat will be fine on its own. The goats represent sacrifice. War requires sacrifices. The old man is a goat. As are all the refugees. The pigeons can fly away. Towards the end of the story, the scout refers to them as doves. This is a clear reference to peace. It has flown away. The bridge is the bridge between life and death. (Maybe that explains why the Republicans have not destroyed it as the superior Fascist army approaches.) In a sparse story, Hemingway has passed on his eye-witness experiences with war and peasants. The old man represents all the civilians. The war has turned his life upside down. He has not taken sides and probably has no idea of what the war is about. “’I was only taking care of animals.’” A variation of that line has been spoken since the dawn of warfare.

“The Old Man at the Bridge” is typical Hemingway. It seems simple on the surface and at first you wonder what the big deal is. It is best suited for a high school English class. I have to admit I am not big on reading between the lines. You have to read between the lines to get the symbolism, but it is obvious Hemingway means more than a simple article about an incident in a civil war. I mean who shepherds a cat, some goats, and some pigeons?

GRADE = C

You can read it at: http://rauschreading09.pbworks.com/f...dge+packet.pdf

You can listen to it being read on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPfUJm5RhNQ
Old 22 Sep 17, 10:35
United_States

A Horseman in the Sky by Ambrose Bierce

A Horseman in the Sky by Ambrose Bierce

“A Horseman in the Sky” is one of Ambrose Bierce’s most famous stories. It was published in 1889. Bierce used his Civil War experiences for the story. Bierce volunteered for the Union Army early in the Civil War. The story takes place near his home town where he was serving as a nineteen year old. He went on to fight in several battles, including Shiloh and Chickamauga. Bierce was hit in the head by a Minie ball at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. He became an author after the war.

A sentry is on duty on a hill above a valley where his unit is encamped. It’s a dangerous position because the camp is surrounded by hills. It is crucial that the sentries be on the lookout for an ambush. Unfortunately, this sentry is sound asleep. After reminding the reader that sleeping on guard duty is a capital offense, Bierce calls the young man a “criminal”. One of the things that fascinates me about the military is the lack of sleep soldiers often have to deal with. To be threatened with death for something beyond your control is disturbing to me. I can see myself as that sentry. Anyway, he awakens for some unknown reason, which is something we can all relate to. Upon regaining consciousness, he perceives a horseman silhouetted against the sky on a nearby cliff. He describes the enemy scout as statuesque as he sits looking into the valley. The duty of the sentry is clear – he must stop that scout from reporting back the location of the Yankee force. Still, it is difficult to shoot another human being. The sentry hesitates and eventually decides to shoot the horse. At this point the story shifts perspective to a Union officer who is scouting in the valley. He witnesses the result of the sentry’s shot. What he sees is so amazing that he decides his sanity will be questioned so he keeps quiet. The story ends by shifting back to the sentry who is interrogated by his sergeant about the gunshot he heard.

I don’t want to give away the ending. It is Biercian. The writing style is also recognizable. I did not know who the author was when I first read it, but when I found out it was Bierce it was no surprise. He tends to be verbose. In this case, he is very detailed in his description of the natural surroundings. It’s a beautiful setting, but “no setting is so wild and difficult but men will make it a theatre of war…” He paints a word picture of what the sentry is seeing. This was Bierce’s forte as he was a topographical officer during the war. Bierce is also wonderful at little details in the sentry and scout. However, there is little character development in the story. Besides the descriptive scenery, the story features Bierce’s use of flashback and foreshadowing. As the soldier sleeps, we learn that he had left his family to join the Union Army. His father takes this decision calmly, but calls his son a traitor to his state of Virginia. He tells his son they will discuss it after the war! His fatherly advice to his son is to do his duty. Duty over family turns out to be a major theme of the story. There is foreshadowing in this flashback scene.

I am a Bierce fan. I earlier reviewed his super famous “An Encounter at Owl Creek Bridge”. This story is not in league with that one. I found it to be the twist ending to be trite. He tends to be flowery. “By conscience and courage, by deeds of devotion and daring, he soon commended himself to his fellows and officers…” He could have just said that his bravery earned him the respect of his comrades. But heck, he was writing in the 1880s, so what do you expect? The story is entertaining and the picture of a horseman sailing through the sky is alone worth the read. It is certainly a must-read for war short story fans.

GRADE = B

You can read it at: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...rseman_Sky.pdf

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!